So EWB Should Have a Jazz Thread

GoGo Yubari

So, wow, "When Lights Are Low" just might be the single chillest song Miles Davis ever recorded. Like, it's on the same level of chill as "Blue in Green" and I seriously didn't think that was possible. So, what jazz are you listening to, EWB? ... or, you know, anyone? Anyone at all?

The album, "Autumn" by Don Ellis. LOVE IT! Greatest thing my dad ever played me.

Also, Maynard Ferguson. I mean, he became a filthy bebop sellout...but fuck, that shit's catchy...and his earlier fusion stuff was nuts. One of the greats. Plus I loved him playing at the Olympics closing ceremony sometime in the 70's. You get one of the greatest high note trumpet players in the world, IN HIS PRIME!!! And what do you get him to do? Just play long, middle register notes...so fucking funny.

Edited by YI

I'm keen to Take 5 myself, mainly because I was in a jazz choir and we sang a vocal arrangement of it that included a Mozart theme in the middle of it, and it actually made sense.

Yeah, after taking that choir I have a deep connection to jazz. Always wanted to sing Misty by Ella Fitzgerald...one of these days.

I'm delighted somebody made this topic, and even moreso that people are actually posting in it.

It's great that Sun Ra has been mentioned, as I'm listening to a lot of experimental type jazz of late. Ra's 'Atlantis' is tremendous. I was elated when I saw a copy of Eric Dolphy's 'Out to Lunch' in my local record store a few weeks ago... so much so that I forgot I don't actually own a table. Dolphy was a fantastic composer and was really starting to take form when he passed away in the mid 60's. He did some great recordings with Charles Mingus, who is also someone I've been hearing a lot of lately.

I had a phase where I was very into organ-driven soul jazz - Jimmy Smith, Jimmy McGriff, Joey Defrancesco etc. - but it kind of passed. I still like it, but there's just such a range of different jazz that (aside from the safe ones like Coltrane, Miles, Parker, Monk et al) it's hard to stay stuck on any one thing.

And, for something remotely modern, I've been listening to Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood's 'Out Louder'. It's a great record with a lot of funk influence, meaning plenty of whacky organ grooves. As 21st century hipster jazz goes, it's really good.

The usual, but I'm gonna bring up Nujabes here (it's not a music thread if I don't). It definitely falls under hip-hop, but he collaborates with jazz musicians sometimes and pretty much all his samples are jazz-influenced. Start with his 2 albums (Metaphorical Music & Modal Soul) and go from there if you like it.

• 2 weeks later...