Geo-Political Simulator

METALMAN

I bought this. Basically it does what it says on the tin - it's a modern day political simulator. You've seen it before - pick a country and change laws and all that. The difference is that this one isn't utter shite. There's far fewer occurences of Iran declaring war on San Marino for no apparent reason for a start and there is a lot to do. The reviews for this have been lukewarm at best, and I can understand why, though I genuinely believe this is a well thought out and researched game, albeit one with a few flaws. It's quite cool that if you're in a proper government you have to have all your bills voted on, though you don't in a dictatorship.

Find out more here.

My four games so far haven't been greatly successful.

United Kingdom - Passed an act to change the voting system to Proportional Representation with 52% of parliament voting in favour

- Arrested the game's equivalent of the BNP leader. Not because of his views. Just because he was speaking out against me in the media which was quite annoying. There was a couple of riots over this.

- Passed another couple of laws and my popularity was looking good so I held a general election. Unfortunately my newly introduced proportional representation fucked me and I was voted back in, though with a very small majority.

Uganda - doubled funding for aids treatment and screening which would be partially funded by a new tax on guns

- gave parliament voting powers, making decision-making more democratic

- even though I was doing such nice things, chief of army got pissed and held a coup. I was shot.

China - tried to introduce a multi-party system. duly sacked by Communist Party

USA - term was up soon so couldn't stand for reelection. Just tried to ruin the country as much as I could in that time.

Edited by metalman

Bwahahaha. The China and Uganda games made me laugh :P

Anyway you can introduce democracy in China? Maybe a softly softly approach like a modern day Gorbachov?

You probably could if you were popular enough. I just tried doing it as soon as I started the game though.

I have one question about this game. Is it broader than it is deep? If it has lots of things to do to keep me interested, then this might be a definate purchase.

There's certainly lots to do. There's several ministries with a budget and actions to take and laws to pass for each. You can have meetings with various celebrities, sports stars and such to try and persuade them to praise you in public and that sort of thing. It may get a bit dull after a while but I'm quite enjoying it right now with the sheer variety of countries and government types to play as.

I would have had a punt if it wasn't 35 quid. Don't fancy spending that without trying a demo.

Yeah I know it's really expensive. You can get it for cheaper on Play.com and amazon I believe. I just bought it on a whim because I got quite a bit of birthday money.

Edited by metalman

Bought it. If I hadn't just got a huge bunch of overtime pay I probably wouldn't have, but eh...

...And it's okay, I guess. I think where I always suffer in these kind of games is not knowing what I want to do. I mean, I dumped a whole load of extra money into alternative energy research and withdrew all our troops from Iraq...which promptly caused the Defence Minister to resign...but now I'm sort of twiddling my thumbs with a lack of imagination.

I wanted to call an early election for a laugh, but I don't think it'll let me. Boooo.

Edited by stokeriño

Cheers metalman. If I can't find it for 'cheaper' elsewhere I suppose I'll have to fork over the dosh.

I managed to find it first time I "looked in the shop"

Bah, I'll have to wait until the end of the month when my car gets fixed as it takes too long to walk to the shops :(

Bah, my 'shop' failed to 'provide' me with an activation code.

I got it in the same email which provided me with the link to download the game (which was the 3rd or 4th of the automatically-generated emails they sent me, I believe ¬_¬).

But since you got yours from a...'shop'...all I can say is: lol, fail.

Edited by stokeriño