How the fuck are Kings Of Leon so popular?

YI

...just...how? Seriously. Seriously, if "Sex On Fire" had been released by fucking Editors (it sounds like an Editors song...well the guitar during the chorus at least :shifty:)...it would have charted at #24 and be totally forgotten about...so how the fuck are Kings Of Leon so fucking popular?

Edited by YI

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have the album "Aha Shake Heartbreak" and personally think it's a great album - generally a load of fun and got a good vibe and rhythm to it.

I couldn't care less about whether they're popular or not, and I've heard later albums aren't so good but I don't care. They're a band I've put no personal "investment" into so I can just sit back and enjoy what I HAVE heard.

No, this isn't a "I FUCKING HATE THEM...WHY ARE THEY SO POPULAR AND _____ ISN'T" thread...this is a serious, they come across as the 'blandest form' of indie-rock, I mean I really like a few of their songs (not big on the new one that followed "Sex On Fire"), but I honestly cannot comprehend why they've taken off and other bands haven't. They're not overtly charismatic, they're not particularly good looking, their lyrics aren't amazing, a lot of their tunes (even singles) aren't that memorable, and they do sound 'generic' at times...I just don't get how they take off and say, a purely random band like say The Young Knives, flounders. I'm not complaining about it...I just...honestly can't wrap my head around what makes them so 'special'.

Because Radio 1 told us to like Kings of Leon.

I think people are drawn to their rock image of raspy voices and sex and drugs. I quite like a few of their songs, but like said they're not this epic band compared to others like people seem to think. I like their later stuff quite a bit more than the earlier stuff I had to say, Sex on Fire is awesome but I guess they just have a better image than other bands of the same style.

Apparently they are very sexy indeed.

I really like them. I don't really, really like them. Just really like.

Um album outline. I've already done this today. For Foo Fighters of all people.

Youth and Young Manhood - Excellent album. Catchy tunes. California Waiting! Molly's Chambers!

Aha Shake Heartbreak - Still very good but I didn't like it as much. King of the Rodeo!

Because of the Times - My favourite Kings of Leon album and one of my favourites of 2007. Different sound. I love it. Arizona! Fans! Knocked Up! The whole album!

Only By The Night - Alright. Nowhere near as good as their other efforts but still listenable. Fantastic first four tracks led me to believe this would be one of my favourite albums ever. Though the rest is average at best. "17" sounds like that Christmas tune by the Darkness. Closer! Crawl! Sex On Fire! Use Somebody! Nothing much else!

Put me in the category of not getting what the hell Kings of Leon are all about. I've listened to all of their albums and just scratch my head. Not really sure why it's so popular; it just sounds bland to me.

I liked a few songs off of Youth and Young Manhood but completely agree that with there being other bands out there doing exactly what they're doing much better and not getting recognition for it is bullshit. If this is all it takes to get big then why don't the other generic sounding indie bands make it like Kings of Leon.

Apparently they are very sexy indeed.

I really like them. I don't really, really like them. Just really like.

Um album outline. I've already done this today. For Foo Fighters of all people.

Youth and Young Manhood - Excellent album. Catchy tunes. California Waiting! Molly's Chambers!

Aha Shake Heartbreak - Still very good but I didn't like it as much. King of the Rodeo!

Because of the Times - My favourite Kings of Leon album and one of my favourites of 2007. Different sound. I love it. Arizona! Fans! Knocked Up! The whole album!

Only By The Night - Alright. Nowhere near as good as their other efforts but still listenable. Fantastic first four tracks led me to believe this would be one of my favourite albums ever. Though the rest is average at best. "17" sounds like that Christmas tune by the Darkness. Closer! Crawl! Sex On Fire! Use Somebody! Nothing much else!

You, my friend, speak the truth.

King of Leon are a nice listen.

Could be worse. You could have a major single with "Are we human or are we dancer" in the chorus.

OR OR one with the words "When your chips are down/When your highs are low/Joy ride". GET IT, BECAUSE IT'S CHIPS BECAUSE I'M A PONCH FROM FUCKING VEGAS. AND BECAUSE I LIKE CHEESY SAPPY SHIT. AND OH HEY, THERE'S THE WORST SAX SOLO THIS SIDE OF...name a terrible sax player. I feel inclined to say Dr. John's music has a lot of bad sax, but I don't know if any of his songs had a sax THIS GODDAMN BAD AS IN THE ONE IN "JOY RIDE". GODDAMN YOU BRANDON FLOWERS.

With that, I gained an appreciation for every other artist that gets vaguely famous. That Kings of Leon song isn't the best, but it's a perfectly chill listen and I think that's why they're charting so well. People like that it's racy but they like their love songs to be sort of soulful and yet chilled out rock.

Edited by ROC

I've been wondering the same thing as well. I remember when Sex on Fire first started playing in late October by me, and I REALLY liked what I heard. Then I went to Youtube, heard THIS and decided to write them off as "One-Good-Song-Wonder" and ignored them.

Charmer is amazing!

And they have four albums of mostly good songs besides Sex On Fire too you know.