Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD

http://www.myspace.com/seangenockey

Track 4. JAMIE MOTHERFUCKING LENMAN.

It's been confirmed on the Reuben forums that it's Lenman (of Reuben, you fucks) on drums, vocals and bass, and producer Sean Genockey (who produced one of the Reuben albums) on guitar, recorded just before Christmas.

Now I know there's no Reuben reformation in the works as Jon and Guy have teamed up with one of the rejects from Hundred Reasons and are just looking for a singer, but if Jamie's going to churn out face-melters like Too Scared to Fight, I'll be happy with a solo album. And tour. And Reuben reforming.

I can't believe how much this made my day >_>

Edited by Major Dragsy

Fuck it, I'm going to see Alkaline Trio...they've been rocking this setlist;

Calling All Skeletons

Private Eye

Lied My Face Off

Nose Over Tail

I Found Away

In Vein

We've Had Enough

Mr Chainsaw

If We Never Go Inside

Goodbye Forever

Emma

Maybe I'll Catch Fire

Jaked On Green Beers

Stupid Kid

I Was A Prayer

Sadie

Help Me

This Could Be Love

----------------------------------

Warbrain

Radio

JAKED ON GREEN BEERS!!! WARBRAIN!!!! FUCK!!! I'M THERE!!!

Plus the new songs they're playing are some of the 'less evil' tunes from the new record. "In Vein" works really well live, "Calling All Skeletons" is one of the better tunes, "Help Me" is good and the words are pretty much engraved into my memory so get me drunk and I'll be good, and "I Found Away" has a HUGE chorus, so all good.

Edited by YI

I had no idea the new Junior Boys had leaked until I came into this thread. Downloaded and it's amazing. Better than the good Is This Goodbye? and probably on the same level of the amazing Last Exit. Junior Boys are a band who is incapable of releasing bad songs. I wasn't a huge fan of them at first, but they have grown on me the last few months.

FUUUUCK!!! I spent the vast majority of my day on train/coach...but fuck...600 miles round trip and it was fucking worth it! Polar Bear Club fucking ROCKED IT! Only a handful proper into it, but they were epic. No "Most Miserable Life". :( Still awesome. The singer looked nothing like I imagined him to...probably because I always think Chuck Ragan (grizzly bearded 'these eyes have seen things') kind of guy with bands like this, so when this fresh faced 'young kid' starts screaming out the start to "Parked In The Parking Lot of Your Heart" I was like WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!

Frank Turner, I can never get bored of watching him, so much fun.

Gaslight Anthem were absolutely epic (lack of love for some of the 'older' stuff was quite sad. Was weird though, "...Elvis?" was much loved but "Blue Jeans..." got a rather lukewarm response, the cunts, it's their best song! I had to leave during the 5th encore song, not sure if they did anymore, but fuck, it was awesome. VERY "59 Sound" heavy. They did everything besides "Casanova, Baby!"...this goes out of order a bit in the middle, but I think everything's here (encore may have went on longer)

Great Expectations

Patient Ferris Wheel

Old White Lincoln

We Came To Dance

High Lonesome

Stand By Me -> I'Da Called You Woody Joe

Film Noir

It's A Man's Man's Man's World -> Wherefore Art Thou, Elvis?

The '59 Sound

Meet Me By The River's Edge

Boomboxes And Dictionaries

Miles Davis & The Cool

State Of Love & Trust [Pearl Jam cover]

Wooderson

Here's Lookin' At You, Kid

The Backseat

-----------------------------------

Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts ("This song's about a bowling alley, hey it's an awesome bowling alley, don't laugh" :wub:)

Even Cowgirls Get The Blues

Drive

Navesink Banks

Say I Won't (Recognize)

Might toss up a Turner/Polar Bear Club setlist later, after dragging my arse through uni for the day.

Edited by YI

:o They covered James Brown!?

I will kill six men to go to a show where they do that song.

They only did like a snippet of it, leading into "...Elvis?" like they've been doing with "Stand By Me"/"...Joe" for a while.

And for IAceI, InMe news;

First tour of 2009, a small one both length and venue size to showcase their new 2nd guitarist and new material from the upcoming album which they're just finishing now.

dates are:

21st april - Brighton Engine Rooms

22nd april - London Borderline

23rd april - Cardiff Barfly

24th april - Birmingham Barfly

25th april - Glasgow Black Ivorys

26th april - York Fibbers

Gaslight Anthem had a better setlist when I went to see them. No Frank Turner though. :(

I am going to see Dananananananaykroyd(or whatever...) at the Arches. good times.

See, the setlist, very "The '59 Sound" heavy, I would have liked a bit more "Sink Or Swim", like say "1930", "Coulda Been A Contender", "We're Getting A Divorce..." and/or "Angry Johnny & The Radio"...but when I think about it, 2 of those I saw at Leeds (I'm pretty sure they did "1930" at Leeds, definitely did "Angry Johnny"), "We're Getting A Divorce..." has been 'retired', kind of shocked they didn't do "Contender", but still. Got most of the EP, and still a good selection of "Sink Or Swim" stuff, the BIG stuff like "...Joe", "Wooderson", "We Came To Dance" and "Drive" and some stuff I didn't hear at Leeds like "Navesink Banks" and "Boomboxes..."...but I didn't particularly 'mind'. It just goes to show the strength of material when I was more than happy with what was played...during the painful coach trip back home I was racking my brains about what could be 'dropped' from the setlist, and outside of "The Backseat" (which I just don't get the love) there was nothing that wasn't really fucking awesome.

Fuck...PROPAGANDHI'S LEAKED!!! Shit this album is more hardcore than baby rape. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Edited by YI

HOLY FUCK IACEI!!! YOU CAN GIG!!!!

11 MAR 2009 19:00

BRICKYARD (DAVE MCPHERSON SOLO SHOW) CARLISLE, NORTHWEST

InMe fella solo show. :shifty: And the new album is called "Herald Moth", what a wank name. Listening to the snippets on myspace "I Will Honour You" (which I've seen a couple of Dave acoustic vids for on youtube) is on, which is great, cos it's a lovely tune, the full band snippet sounds epic.

Propagandhi is too fucking good.

Edited by YI

3-posts in a row...fuck it.

Okay, anyone else fancying "Hard Rock Calling"? Yeah, it's at Hyde Park, and seems more catered towards the 'old guard', but fuck, Springsteen for £45!! Tickets go on sale Friday (happens June 27th/28th), and it's £45 a day I think, but Sunday has Springsteen headlining, with Dave Matthews Band and The Gaslight Anthem announced too. £45 for Springsteen (and others), seriously, you cannot be robbed. Rumours for the Saturday seem to be Paul McCartney and The Killers. Might give the Saturday a miss, but still rock up the Sunday.

Edited by YI

3-posts in a row...fuck it.

Okay, anyone else fancying "Hard Rock Calling"? Yeah, it's at Hyde Park, and seems more catered towards the 'old guard', but fuck, Springsteen for £45!! Tickets go on sale Friday (happens June 27th/28th), and it's £45 a day I think, but Sunday has Springsteen headlining, with Dave Matthews Band and The Gaslight Anthem announced too. £45 for Springsteen, seriously, you cannot be robbed.

I concur. Think a ticket for this shall be being purchased. :D

Never heard of it before but if it's only £45 for a day I must get myself down for it.

However, getting down from Edinburgh will probably cost me an absolute fortune, which I believe I wont have. :/

Shame as I'd love to see Gaslight again and seeing Springsteen would be amazing.

I know a couple of Springsteen fans, one of which would probably drive down. If I can convince them to go/get a travelodge and stuff then I'll probably do Saturday and Sunday, if not, then I'd just rock Sunday by myself.

Apparently, Polar Bear Club have a half-naked spread in the upcoming Kerrang! magazine. :shifty:

No new word on Strung Out's b-sides/new studio album, but there's this snippet from Jason Cruz;

I am also proud to announce my new music project " Black Heart and the Pistoleros ". I am putting finishing touches on our first ep titled simply " Loungecore " . Influenced by the Spaghetti Western soundtracks of Ennio Marricone , Los Angeles , love sick junkie cowboys and long endless drives through the desert night , Im sure you'll enjoy.

He 'released' that late last year, if it's in the style to the music, then I'm sure it'll be some amazing chillout.

Edited by YI

I downloaded the View's new album, purely because when I saw them live(free ticket <_<) their new song "One Off Pretender" was by far the highlight of their set. I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying it is brilliant. Studio version's shit though. :(

I think it was the energy of the song that I liked more than anything. Shouty Scottish rap doesn't translate to record very well it seems. :(

'Worked' with "Hard Rock Calling"...so...anyone up for "Slam Dunk '09"? It's at Leeds Uni or something, basically it's a multi-stage 3-11 thing, with a clubnight shindig afterwards. It's basically Give It A Name, but up North, and with more awesome bands, plus it's cheap as fuck (looking at like £20 for a ticket). I found out about it last year, but I didn't go, but the rumours knocking about, about this year, I think I'll get some mates to hit it up. There's generally a good mixture of 'popular' bands and lesser known stuff, like last year you had Fightstar, Kids In Glass Houses, Story of The Year, You Meat Six etc, playing with like Me Vs Hero, Big D & The Kids Table, The JC Conspiracy, All Or Nothing, Sonic Boom Six etc (bands like Fall Out Boy, Paramore, Reed Big Fish etc. have played past years too). It's a bit 'scene' I guess, but if you're into that kind of stuff like I am, then score, but rumoured bands could interest quite a few of EWB'ers. It's happening May 24th, which is a Sunday

CONFIRMED:

Cobra Starship

The Slackers

Polar Bear Club (apparently self-confirmed...if that's the case, this might coincide with their supposed tour with Crime In Stereo, in which case I wouldn't be surprised to see CIS play too)

RUMOURED:

New Found Glory

The Gaslight Anthem (not sure, given the amount of times they've been over here, plus they're coming back in June for Hyde Park and presumably Glasto...but this seems to be the BIG RUMOUR going about)

Paige (Pretty much a certainty for the UK stage IMO)

Dance Gavin Dance

Four Year Strong (PLEEEEEEEAAAAAAASE!!!)

Look! I'm A Ghost

Yeah, basically, I'm waiting for stuff to actually be announced, but pretty sure I'm going to be hitting this up, shouldn't be that hard to convince people to come, with it only being in Leeds and all that (and pretty cheap).

I downloaded the View's new album, purely because when I saw them live(free ticket <_<) their new song "One Off Pretender" was by far the highlight of their set. I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying it is brilliant. Studio version's shit though. :(

I think it was the energy of the song that I liked more than anything. Shouty Scottish rap doesn't translate to record very well it seems. :(

I've changed my mind. It's actually really good. Nowhere near as good as it was live but a good song. The album as a whole is actually pretty good. Of course, being the View there are going to be shit bits but it's mostly confined to one song. Oh and I can't be too nasty about them because I'm friends with the bassist.

One Off Pretender (studio) <

Edited by metalman