Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

I guess Four Year Strong's April Fools wasn't fully a joke, as they're releasing a 90's cover album called "Four Year Strong Explain's It All"...would rather have some new material, but it could be fun. No word on tracklisting, yet.

Also, "Mick McCarthy (Dances With Wolves)" by Robust Thundercunt is a tune and a half. :shifty:

Edited by YI

2 new Big D & The Kids Table songs (and everyone's acting like they're raping small children, the shit they're getting for them) are posted here;

http://sideonedummy.com/bands.php?band_nam..._The_Kids_Table

"Fluent In Stroll" and "Doped Up Dollies On A One Way Ticket To Blood".

They're a bit 'different' I guess. They've acquired two random birds doing 'cheerleader shit'. I don't get why everyone's so up in arms about it though. I'm not MASSIVE on a lot of their older straight up ska-punk stuff (although they have epic songs), I loved "Strictly Rude" in which they basically pretended to be The Specials for a CD...now it seems like they're just being a ska B52's...I can live with that. :shifty:

It's certainly not offensively bad...although I doubt it'll be anywhere near the level of "Strictly Rude";

Well I remember when Steve took a gulp of that poor kid's blood in Germany

Same tour I passed out in a Vegas Carl's Jr

How 'bout when I sparred with that big old pimp on the roof top in Switzerland

Or when I busted my head open that fun New York summer night

And that nice girl said

Hold up, you ain't right

Let me clean you up, you boys are a mangled sight

But it's all we know

...CHOOOON!! Gonna listen to that album now I think.

Strike Anywhere have just signed to Bridge 9 for their new album, I think it's safe to say Bridge 9 probably have the best punk-rock roster going at the moment;

Crime In Stereo, Polar Bear Club, Paint It Black, Defeater, Verse, Agnostic Front, Dead Swans, Ceremony, H2O, Have Heart, Strike Anywhere, Ruiner...plus New Found Glory and Sick Of It All doing random releases on them, and rumour has it they seem to be prime candidate to put out the new A Wilhelm Scream material, with Nitro Records seemingly going tits up (and AWS wanting to get off them anyway).

I think there's 2, Bridge 9 'tours' over here this year. There's PBC, Ruiner and Defeater which is here at the end of the month. And I believe Paint It Black are back over in fall, with Ceremony and Dead Swans. Missed PIB when they were over here September last year because of registration/freshers week, hopefully will catch them this time, would be absolutely fucking MENTAL live.

ps. I need a better phone;

lightsss.jpg

...to be fair, I could have probably got a better one, but I didn't want to look like a pervert. :shifty:

Okay, the new, new Kyte songs (eg. the ones NOT on "Two Sparks, Two Stars" or had been floating around before the release of "Science For The Living") have started to grow on me. "Designed For Damage" and "This Smoke Saves Lives" are awesome. Parts of "Creating Our Reality" are stunning too, but it just doesn't hold up for the whole 11-minutes. The other two aren't bad either. I'd been finding myself skipping these tracks until a couple of days ago. And their Au Revoir Simone remix is bloody gorgeous.

Edited by YI

The new Rise Against "7 is FUCKING GLORIOUS!!! "Grammatizator" has a Zach Blair influence all over it (which I was really hoping from the album, but no :(), sounding like first album Only Crime, with Tim going all shouty again (:wub:), and the 2nd tune is all UNRAVELLING STYLE!!! Oh man, this is the band I used to love. :wub:

I'm having an acquisition day. I'm half doing revision, half getting a bunch of new stuff to listen to. Here's what I've got so far;

"Blue Roses" by Blue Roses (absolutely fucking brilliant, like "Knives Don't Have Your Back" by Emily Haines brilliant (if not more so), definitely see this placing high at the end of the year)

"EP" by Crucial Dudes

"Black Clouds & Silver Linings" by Dream Theater (CAN YOU STOP BEING ALL METAL :( :( :( I DON'T LIKE IT :( :( :()

"Tape Songs EP" by How Do We Jump This High?

"Ashfield Avenue" by Alondra Bentley (Laura Marling #2...but fitter :shifty:)

"It Doesn't Have To Be Beautiful/Wild Blue Milk" by Slow Club (Double A-Side)

"The Uprising EP" by Nations Afire (ex-Rise Against, Death By Stereo, Ignite...does just sound like Rise Against :shifty:)

"A Song In Their Hearts And Laughter On Their Lips" by If By Whiskey

"Dragonslayer" by Sunset Rubdown

"Upper Air" by The Bowerbirds

"New Again" by Taking Back Sunday

"Ephemeral EP" by Pelican

"Relapse" by Eminem

"Equilibrium" by Erik Mongrain (which was released last year, just realised :()

"Travels With Myself And Another" by Future Of The Left

Quite a god haul. :shifty:

The new Patrick Wolf is out/leaked/whatever. If you liked his past work, it's right on par. I fucking love it, because I'm a huge fan of Patrick Wolf's ability to simply mix so many genres and elements into one album and still make very listenable songs.

Yeah, can't wait for the album. Human League cameo too. :D

Word on the 'review grapevine' is that "Billy Talent III" is disappointing, but "Old Crows/Young Cardinals" is FUCKING HUGE! I wasn't overly sold on "Crisis", but loved their first two albums, it's supposed to be 'catchier', but in a good way. Both should hopefully leak soon.

And I quite like the new TBS album.

Blue Roses is absolutely phenomenal. One of the best albums of the year.

Also, what the fuck is up with aloud.com? The new layout is fugly as sin and they've started charging like £5 booking on all tickets...taking the fucking piss.

Edited by YI

I'm trying to fill the Lucksmiths shaped gap in my life by listening to Tali White's other band, The Guild League. They're nice and all, but they don't spend enough time singing about girls living far away and wanting to stay in bed for my liking. Between Plan B magazine shutting up shop and The Lucksmiths calling it a day, this Summer is going to destroy all my musical reference points.

I decided...last night might have been the strangest show I have ever attended. BYOB, which was awesome...but it it was in a community centre, I can safely say that it was the only time at a gig I've been able to lean against a filing cabinet.

ONSIND were fucking AWESOME! Big following out for them. Epic awesome sing-along moments "I CAN BURY THE BODY UNDERNEATH THE SHED WHERE THEY CAN'T FIND HIM!!" Much more awesome that with Bridge & Tunnel, not sure if it was the 'home court advantage' or the atmosphere, but insane. Setlist;

A Story In 3 Acts

Shop Less, Live More

My Clean Sweep At The Clown Oscars

I Could Carve A Better Man Out Of A Banana

NEW SONG (from Ghost Mice split)

A Generous Exposition

Gardez la France Propre Contaminez l'Angleterre

Riot Don't Diet

Madeline is cute as a button. Her stuff is really sweet and laid back. Comes across really well live. Setlist (couple of stuff I can't remember/don't know, here...there was a gorgeously twee closing track full of "Doo's" which I don't know. :()

Black Out

Fish In The Sea

Jive Talking

(something about Johnny Cash...which I can't find in her discography, which is annoying me, cos it was her best song :() - have found a youtube video of it though, presume it's a new one -

Rain, Fire & Brimstone

Shotgun Wedding

Dead Leaves (again, I think it might be a new one)

White Flag

Dirty South

Defiance, Ohio...fucking nuts. A little preachy with big rants, but they fucking rocked. A little bit too much 'newer' stuff, but all great tracks. So chuffed I actually went to this. Setlist;

Petty Problems

Bikes & Bridges

The Things We Wont Let Settle

The List

The Reason

I'm Just Going To Leave Now

Anxious And Worrying

Eureka!

Can't Stop, Won't Stop

Everyone Else On The Other Side

Oh, Suquehanna!

I Don't Want Solidarity If It Means Holding Hands With You

Condition 11:11

Edited by YI

Six minutes into the new Mandy Moore album, and I already like it better than Wild Hope. This had better continue.

Also, reminder to self: Gaslight Anthem are on Radio 1 Live Lounge on June 19th.

EDIT: Done, and I'm not sure whether I like it more or less than Wild Hope, but it is a great album, well worth a listen.

Edited by TheRossWalker

New Mandy. :wub: Getting now. :D

At the minute, new stuff I'm digging;

"Blue Roses" by Blue Roses - http://www.myspace.com/musicofblueroses

"Miike Snow" by Miike Snow - http://www.myspace.com/miikesnow

"EP" by Crucial Dudes - http://www.myspace.com/crucialdudesnj

"Lasers N Shit" by Syntheme - http://www.last.fm/music/Syntheme

Okay, the 2nd tune on Mandy Moore is awesome...I love the Queen-esque bits.

Edited by YI