Chelsea sack Scolari

AJ

Breaking news on Sky Sports right now. I know they've had a dip in form especially at home, but bloody hell I didn't see that coming.

I'll post up a news story when one's up on Sky News/BBC.

Chelsea have sacked Luiz Felipe Scolari with immediate effect, with Ray Wilkins placed in caretaker charge.

The Brazilian only took charge at Stamford Bridge in the summer and after a promising start the club have slipped to fourth in the table, seven points adrift of Manchester United.

Saturday's 0-0 draw at home to Hull City proved to be the final straw for the World Cup winner and the Stamford Bridge outfit have now confirmed his departure.

A statement on the club's official website read: "Luiz Felipe Scolari has been dismissed as manager of Chelsea Football Club today (Monday) with immediate effect.

"The Chelsea board would like to place on record our gratitude for his time as manager.

Sadness

"Felipe has brought many positives to the club since he joined and we all feel a sense of sadness that our relationship has ended so soon.

"Unfortunately the results and performances of the team appeared to be deteriorating at a key time in the season.

"In order to maintain a challenge for the trophies we are still competing for we felt the only option was to make the change now.

"The search for a new manager has already started and we hope to have someone in place as soon as possible.

"While that continues assistant coach Ray Wilkins will take charge of the team on a temporary basis."

Grant

Sky Sports News understands that the club have already compiled a two-man shortlist to replace Scolari, with Guus Hiddink and Avram Grant the names in the frame.

Grant stepped into the breach following Jose Mourinho's departure before being axed at the end of the season despite finishing second in the Premier League and reaching the UEFA Champions League final.

Hiddink has been linked with a host of Premier League posts after his exploits as Russia coach, including reaching the Euro 2008 semi-finals.

One possibility is that the duo could work together, with Hiddink taking charge of team affairs and Grant operating as director of football.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What ridiculous timing on this. Let's be honest, they don't have a chance at the title this season, so let him carry on until the summer and secure a top 4 placing and Champion's League next season, maybe buy a couple of players in the summer (his signings have been great - Deco and Bosingwa have been solid purchases) and then mount a proper challenge next year. But they've sacked him just after the window's closed, so whoever takes over has to work with what's already there anyway, so why not just keep him? I understand they cannot afford to not qualify for the CL and they're on the verge of that just now, but it just seems a bit hasty to get rid of him altogether as suddenly as that.

Well, I think those asking for Zola are going to be disappointed. Unless they throw insane money at him and give him an offer he just can't turn down, I think he'll stay where he is.

Zola won't go even if Chelsea wanted him. He'd give them exactly the same response he gave them when Abramovich wanted him back from Cagliari in 2003: he's a man who honours his contracts.

Besides, he has himself admitted that he's 'not ready for Chelsea yet', and I would have to agree.

Let them get Zola, it'll make them that bit more shit. Sorry, but Zola is some sort of super manager because he's done a decent job at West Ham? They'd be fools to ever consider making him manager.

Scolari should never have went there. They've treated him like shit from the looks of things and haven't given him time to build the team properly at all. In reality, he's a damn good manager, who exactly do they expect to get now? The man they need is Lippi, but I pray he never goes there.