What's your least favourite sport?

-A-

Pretty self-explanatory. I'd be hard pressed to really pick a favourite sport, I seem to enjoy quite a lot nowadays. Football's the one I know most about and that I watch most regularly, but tennis is probably the one that interests me most on a match-by-match basis. Rugby union is the one I enjoyed playing most before injury made that impossible and I'm starting to get into NFL a bit more.

On the other side of the coin, I really hate motorsports. I can maybe handle rally driving, but F1, or NASCAR-type stuff in particular, is unbearable for me. I couldn't watch darts either without the fucking stupid music and semi-retarded Sid Waddell. Despite loving MMA I cannot stand boxing at all and never watch it. Even during the Olympics I'd rather watch sailing or something rather than boxing.

Even though it's not the most boring, Rugby League infuriates me. I was raised on Union and League seems like a training game with all the colour and variation taken out of it with no kicking and just two lines of people running into each other British Bulldog-style.

Hmmm good question.

Probably ballroom dancing, NASCAR or ice hockey.

Of the American Sports I can see SOME charm in baseball although it's too formulaic and dull for me. I used to play basketball for my school but it's FAR more fun to play than watch.

The sports that I ALWAYS have time and love for are football, cricket, cycling and badminton.

Pretty self-explanatory. I'd be hard pressed to really pick a favourite sport, I seem to enjoy quite a lot nowadays. Football's the one I know most about and that I watch most regularly, but tennis is probably the one that interests me most on a match-by-match basis. Rugby union is the one I enjoyed playing most before injury made that impossible and I'm starting to get into NFL a bit more.

On the other side of the coin, I really hate motorsports. I can maybe handle rally driving, but F1, or NASCAR-type stuff in particular, is unbearable for me. I couldn't watch darts either without the fucking stupid music and semi-retarded Sid Waddell. Despite loving MMA I cannot stand boxing at all and never watch it. Even during the Olympics I'd rather watch sailing or something rather than boxing.

Even though it's not the most boring, Rugby League infuriates me. I was raised on Union and League seems like a training game with all the colour and variation taken out of it with no kicking and just two lines of people running into each other British Bulldog-style.

I agree with the League/Union point too. I grew up on Union and played it for a club a little. League just seems to have had all the nuances and subtlties that make Union a better game, taken out of it and replaced with each team getting six attempts to get from one end of the pitch to the other while everyone runs into eachother rather than trying to pass AROUND eachother.

The problem with a lot of American sports is they don't make for good TV. Baseball is great to watch in person, but on TV gets boring. Basketball is alright on TV, but is, as you said, much better to play. Even hockey, though not an American sport, suffers on TV as compared to live.

The two best TV sports, in my opinion, are football and soccer. Though I don't understand much about soccer, I still find it entertaining to watch, and it makes for good TV.

I went to a baseball game when I came to Japan - the local team is one of the best in the country - the Dragons! Whoo!

Anyway the atmosphere was great with all the chanting, cheering etc so between that and eating, the match wasn't too important although the two home runs were pretty cool.

NFL only makes for good TV because there's plenty of opportunity for commericals. [/necessaryCheapShot] :shifty:

Least favourite sport... hmm. To watch, I'd have to say American Football. I like the idea of it, as it's similar to rugby, and I dig the tactical side of it. Playing it is fun. But watching it is not. It's just too... bitty. Loads of setting up a play, for a few seconds of action, before the ball goes dead and you're back to setting up again. Not really my cup of tea.

Generally I can get into any sport that has continuous action (i.e., Formula 1, football, rugby union, etc). The sports I tend to like less are the ones, like the NFL, where the action is broken up all the time. Cricket, tennis, darts, etc. That's not to say I hate all of them (I quite like watching tennis and cricket), just that I tend to get into them less compared to rugby union (my favourite sport) or football. A game of football can be boring as hell, with both teams playing defensively and nobody making any ground at all, but I'll still watch it because it's continuous. Unless the ball goes out of play or there's a foul, there's always something happening, even if it is boring in the grand scheme of things, so I'll watch it. There's always a sense that something COULD happen at any moment.

Whereas a game like tennis, once it's gone out of bounds, there'll be a lull of a few seconds while someone fannies about with the ball before serving it again. Or in cricket, once it's gone dead there'll be a lull while it's returned to the bowler and tossed around the fielders for a bit before being bowled again. Just like if I was playing a computer game that kept pausing every few seconds, I'd get pissed off with it in the end.

Totally agree with the Real Rugby is better than Fake Rugby argument too. Although at the end of the day, League is still better than most sports.

Edited by Farmer Reil

I'd have to say baseball. Sorry yanks :( In the early hours of the morning when I was wide awake I would put the baseball on channel 5 on to literally put me to sleep.

Just so you don't think I have an irrational hatred of American sports, I don't mind watching American football, plus I both play and watch as much basketball as I can. Usually only college games on NASN (or ESPNAmerica it's called now) since there was some kind of monumental cockup and neither channel 5 or Sky picked up the rights to the NBA this season. I've really missed it.

I refuse to accept darts as a sport. I guess that's for another topic though.

NBA Basketball specifically. It eats donkey nuts and is about as much of a joke as you can get. I hope it dies a slow and agonizing death. Wait a second, actual basketball already has died. Let me rephrase that. I hope the crap that is called NBA Basketball as we now know it dies a slow and agonizing death.

Other than that, I don't really hate any other sports. Sure there are some I don't care to watch but that's either because I don't see the point of them (cricket) or just can't be bothered with them (billiards).

Golf is awful to watch. Especially on television.

"And...*thk* - the camera shoots upwards for a screen full of clouds. How the hell the cameraman can track the ball is anyone's guess, because we certainly can't see it...oh, it's landed. Well done. And we shall now take you to someone different on a different hole, just to make the whole viewing experience seem that little bit more fragmented and pointless."

Cricket, conversely, I find fine to watch in a "on in the background" kind of way (like snooker or tennis). At least I can see what's going on, even if it does take an age. >_>

Edited by stokeriño

Ugh, golf. Can't watch that on TV whatsoever. I've played it in the past, and that's alright ... until I get completely frustrated with my poor play. But TV, nope.

Some of these sports I don't see much if ever: cricket and rugby most notably. I barely watch motorsport anymore, though when I was younger I joined the rest of my quasi-redneck family with the Nascar watching. I never really got into tennis. I don't consider darts or billiards to be on this same level. And NBA basketball, I rarely watch that anymore either. I used to like it more, even up to a couple years ago... but now I really don't care.

Edited by Lowerdeck

Golf is awful to watch. Especially on television.

"And...*thk* - the camera shoots upwards for a screen full of clouds. How the hell the cameraman can track the ball is anyone's guess, because we certainly can't see it...oh, it's landed. Well done. And we shall now take you to someone different on a different hole, just to make the whole viewing experience seem that little bit more fragmented and pointless."

You'd rather watch the guy walk down to his ball, chatting with his caddy than someone else actually playing? :P

I don't really follow golf or anything but I do like to watch the Masters for some reason. Cricket and rugby are both boring to watch, although I don't mind playing cricket. I just don't like rugby at all, that'd probably be my least favourite sport. I think I'd rather watch darts than rugby.

Oh, poker! It's not a sport, get it off my TV.

I have a list.

Poker (Alright to play but get it the fuck off my TV)

Golf (Due to the amount of GOOD sport you pre-empted)

Cricket (See Golf)

Both Codes of Rugby (Even though I played both codes for something like 6 years, It bores me to tears now)

Basketball (I wouldn't mind playing it, But I still can't watch a game on TV)

F1

Darts

I'll edit in more as I think of them

What do I dislike watching? Not a lot as I'm a big sports fan and love a variety of stuff, but there are a few things.

Baseball is the only one of the 4 big North American sports I can't watch. I love all the other stuff although I much prefer watching EuroLeague Basketball to NBA Basketball for some reason, probably just because its a bit closer to home and I love all that weird European shit.

Boxing. I prefer MMA, I'm not a boxing fan, I don't watch Hatton/Calzaghe fights, I don't care about Klitschko's or anyone like that, but I do love Ali and his legacy he's left behind, but I just can't get into boxing. I think it's a this-or-that thing with MMA and Boxing for me and gladly it's MMA all the way.

Cricket I can't watch and may be one of least favoured sports. If I'd been brought up with it then maybe, but it never featured in my upbringing and I just can't watch it. I really don't enjoy playing it and watching it even less, it just doesn't interest me at all and fortunately as I've grown up I've gone from being surrounded by cricket fanatics to people who don't like it - so it doesn't really feature much anymore.

As for a league/union debate. League all the way. I'm fucking northern dammit and if we want to get somewhere we will run THROUGH the opponents. Not kick the ball every five seconds OVER the opponents and run around them. Kick. Kick. Kick. Kick... Kick. Kick.

Formula 1 as well. MotoGP > F1 all the fucking way. Despise that sport so much.

Then again I LOVE watching sports such as lacrosse, cycling, darts, snooker so... meh. Just whatever tickles my fancy I guess.

Edited by IAceI