NFL 2009

livid

Yeah...I mean not having to pay him is good and all, but arent' you supposed to get 2 first rounders for a franchise player?

1) An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.

2) A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Cassel was type 2. The Pats did that because I don't think they ever planned to keep him and weren't going to risk having to get a team to give up 2 #1's for him.

Ok, so cassel was type 2. That means the Pats are entitled to two first round picks. so what's up with the ONE second rounder ? Yeah, stupid stupid stupid

Yeah...I mean not having to pay him is good and all, but arent' you supposed to get 2 first rounders for a franchise player?

1) An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.

2) A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Cassel was type 2. The Pats did that because I don't think they ever planned to keep him and weren't going to risk having to get a team to give up 2 #1's for him.

Ok, so cassel was type 2. That means the Pats are entitled to two first round picks. so what's up with the ONE second rounder ? Yeah, stupid stupid stupid

He didn't sign with the Chiefs. He was traded to the Chiefs. Thus no first rounders. It's a smart move by the Pats since they got a 2nd round pick for a guy they had no intention of paying $15 million to in order to carry the clipboard. They could have probably gotten a higher pick, but now they don't have to pay an unproven guy first round money either.

Apparently the Lions are still trying to forge a deal with Denver to bring Cutler in. This would be a good move, but I'm not sure what we would be giving up. We do have the Cowboys 1st Round pick (hey do they want anymore of our garbage?) to entice them. I'd love to have Cutler, he's better than anything we've had since Bobby Layne, and it would mean we wouldn't be drafting a QB.

Wow Jay Cutler must be really pissed off to want to go to the Lions. They should offer the Cowboys first and their own 3rd and that should really be enough. Then they can trade down the first pick on draft day. Or this deal won't get done until draft day, and the Lions will trade their first overall for Cutler and Broncos picks.

I really hope something happens now, McDaniels is showing he's just as much of a douchebag as his mentor is.

Edited by Maxx Is Awesome Teammate

I guess I haven't followed things closely...but why are the Bronco's considering trading Jay Cutler?

Because their new head coach is an idiot.

They wanted Matt Cassell, didn't get him, it leaked, now Cutler wants out of Denver.

Why would they want Cassell over Cutler?

I guess I haven't followed things closely...but why are the Bronco's considering trading Jay Cutler?

Cutler wants out cause he's pissed that Denver wanted to trade him in a proposed form of the Cassel deal. Apparently he figures Denver wants nothing to do with him since he was dangled out like that.

Because their new head coach is an idiot.

They wanted Matt Cassell, didn't get him, it leaked, now Cutler wants out of Denver.

Why would they want Cassell over Cutler?

Josh McDaniels was his offensive coordinator in New England.

And in classic Patriot's Way, can has to try and grab as many players as possible from his old team, because god forbid he becomes comfortable with the staff he has in place.

Pioli going after Cassel, that made sense. McDaniels trying to do it was just retarded.

And in classic Patriot's Way, can has to try and grab as many players as possible from his old team, because god forbid he becomes comfortable with the staff he has in place.

Pioli going after Cassel, that made sense. McDaniels trying to do it was just retarded.

What new coach DOESN'T try to do that? :mellow:

What new coach DOESN'T try to do that? :mellow:

There's a difference between trying to bring in your players and pissing off a proven Pro Bowl caliber QB for a guy who was OK on one of the best team's in the league for a season. Cassel on the Broncos would not have been as good as Cutler, and if they lose out on Cutler they're pretty much boned because franchise QBs don't grow on trees.

Apparently the Lions are still trying to forge a deal with Denver to bring Cutler in. This would be a good move, but I'm not sure what we would be giving up. We do have the Cowboys 1st Round pick (hey do they want anymore of our garbage?) to entice them. I'd love to have Cutler, he's better than anything we've had since Bobby Layne, and it would mean we wouldn't be drafting a QB.

And if we were to draft maybe Jones from Baylor, or trade down and get Andre Smith, then I would be semi-happy. But this has a fat chance in happening

That is a good question YoungB, what new coach does try to replace young pro bowl players with fairly unproven back ups? Cause I really can't think of any, probably because doing that is retarded.

Yes, every new coach tries to improve their new team by filling holes with players from their old team, perfectly understandable, but last time I checked QB wasn't exactly a hole the Broncos had.

Its the equivilent of Herm Edwards getting hired by the Falcons and then trying to trade Matt Ryan for Tyler Thigpen.