NFL 2009

livid

Call me more than skeptical in regards to the UFL only having 4 teams. 2 of which are in NFL markets (New York now has 3 pro football teams). I mean, I gather the league is sort of marketing itself as a place where the future stars are playing today. That's a good idea, better than the disastrous XFL. However, the biggest thing hurting this league I feel is going to be the fact that it's games interfere with college football. And as big as the NFL is, I'd argue college has the more loyal fans.

Still, I hope the league succeeds. But I just don't see it happening, regardless of coaching talent. There simply isn't that much football talent floating around and the structure of being a football fan in a lot of the country already has Thursday-to-Monday filled with games.

Torry Holt's cut.

In related news, people are already editing his wiki page as a Viking. <_<

It could happen, they will likely offer him big money to come here, and he may accept it. Matter in fact i think we are the best place for him to land.

What a shocker.

We get it, you think everyone who becomes a free agent should go to the Vikings. But wait, the team is based in freezing cold Minnesota and play in one of the worst venues in the league.

Edited by Maxx Is Awesome Teammate

I dunno. I agree with Poke.... EVERYONE in the league wants to come catch passes from the Notorious T-Jack Sage Montana. Duh! Who wouldn't?

Fixed.

And sure, Minnesota would be a good place for Holt...if he's suffering from enough of a confidence crisis that he thinks 40 catches are all he's capable of anymore, because that's about all he'd get while pretending to run block all day.

What other contenders are out there in need of a WR or are willing to pay heavily for one?

You could make the case for Dallas or Washington, but no other team really fits. I doubt the Ravens or Falcons are going after him, The Cardinals don't need him, Why would the Giants go after him, The Titans aren't that likely, The Colts could be possible, New England isn't going to, The Jets probably won't, Buffalo won't so who will that leave? Minnesota, they have the money and they are contenders.

Why would you even want a broken down Torry Holt? That giant fork sticking out of his back has been slowing him down in recent years.

Teams looking for similar results to what Bruce did for the 49ers last year. As a 49ers fan I wouldn't be totally against it as he can come in and is probably better off than Bruce and it gives them two veteran guys to teach the younger WR's a thing or two about the game. They won't necessarily light up the field like they used to be but they're more than serviceable

And I Love Pokemon probably just realizes that Holt is a better WR than any of the ones they have right now anyways. :shifty:

Edited by Livid

Dude, didnt you hear? They got SAGE ROSENFELS man. SAGE ROSENFELS. Superbowl ring incoming. :shifty:

I know it's cool to hate on the Vikings and all, but an adequate game manager is really all they need to be a threat to win the championship. It's not like Eli Manning was/is substantially better than the Mighty Sage but if you have a great defense and running game you can win titles. It's worked for the Steelers (2x) Ravens, Bucs and Giants in recent years.

Having said that I fully expect the Vikings to win 9-11 games next year and lose their first playoff game.

I'm not expecting the UFL to do much of anything, but I would at the very least hope it gives a broader scope for people of different backgrounds (i.e. non-American or non-collegiates) an opportunity to play at a higher level. There's some talented European and Asian players who don't get a chance to progress past the amateur or semi-pro (in the case of Japan and Germany) because a. the NFL shut down the Europe farm league or b. because hte NFL is such a fucking exclusive entity. You can't get off calling your title winners WORLD CHAMPIONS when players from other countries can barely even crack the practice squads. I know there's never going to be a great many international players in the league (I think there were three or four British players last time I heard, one of them handles kick-off duties for the Panthers), but hell, at least give them an opportunity or stop being so fucking obnoxious with the WORLD CHAMPION bullshit.

Dude, didnt you hear? They got SAGE ROSENFELS man. SAGE ROSENFELS. Superbowl ring incoming. :shifty:

I know it's cool to hate on the Vikings and all, but an adequate game manager is really all they need to be a threat to win the championship. It's not like Eli Manning was/is substantially better than the Mighty Sage but if you have a great defense and running game you can win titles. It's worked for the Steelers (2x) Ravens, Bucs and Giants in recent years.

Having said that I fully expect the Vikings to win 9-11 games next year and lose their first playoff game.

Thats about where I expect the Vikes to be, and, while they have a shot at the Super Bowl in a weak NFC, I would really consider them a contender. They could as easily win 8 games as they could 12, and they don't have the passing attack that a team like Arizona does that would equalize things. The Viking running game would get eaten alive by a team like Baltimore or Pittsburgh, and they don't have the pass defense to stop a team like New England (with Tom Brady). I guess, if you wanted to say they're a contender in the NFC, I could see it, but I don't buy them as a true contender to win the Super Bowl.

Nice team, but I think they need either a true number one deep threat reciever or a QB who is more than a game manager.

Thats about where I expect the Vikes to be, and, while they have a shot at the Super Bowl in a weak NFC, I would really consider them a contender. They could as easily win 8 games as they could 12, and they don't have the passing attack that a team like Arizona does that would equalize things. The Viking running game would get eaten alive by a team like Baltimore or Pittsburgh, and they don't have the pass defense to stop a team like New England (with Tom Brady). I guess, if you wanted to say they're a contender in the NFC, I could see it, but I don't buy them as a true contender to win the Super Bowl.

Nice team, but I think they need either a true number one deep threat reciever or a QB who is more than a game manager.

That pretty much sums up my feeling on them. Good enough to win a shitty division, but not good enough to win a playoff game.

The Lions traded Corey Redding and 5th rounder to the Seattle Seahawks for Julian Peterson. I like the move, gets rid of another useless player from the Millen era, and adds more to our LB core. Plus, Peterson is something of a local guy being an MSU alumni. I'll give Mayhew credit, he's been proactive and has made relatively savy moves.