NFL 2009

livid

Pre-Season Predictions (Could be altered after the pre-season):

NFC East: Philadelphia Eagles

With the addition of Maclin I feel the Eagles can use a fast paced offense to get out of the East with the division title. It'll be close as always in one of the league's toughest divisions.

NFC North: Chicago Bears

Almost went with Minnesota, but I think they'll edge them out. They nearly got to the playoffs last season without a legit QB. If the Bears happen to sign Vick, potential title contender with a devastating Wildcat offense.

NFC South: New Orleans Saints

Just kind of rolled the dice on this division.

NFC West: Arizona Cardinals

Weak division, Boldin back and the addition of a runner that can pound the ball to make defenses at least respect the run.

NFC Wildcards: Dallas Cowboys, Atlanta Falcons

I think Dallas gets in and I like Atlanta with the addition of Tony.

AFC East: New England Patriots

Don't see Bills being a huge factor, or Miami repeating last season. Brady is back.

AFC North: Pittsburgh Steelers

Ravens are only real threat, won't be.

AFC South: Tennessee Titans

*Rolls Dice*

AFC West: Oakland Raiders

Upset special. Played well under Cable to finish the season, relatively weak division with Denver's plummet. JaMarcus breaks out.

AFC Wildcards: Baltimore Ravens, San Diego Chargers

Defacto wildcards, Colts miss playoffs.

NFC Championship: Atlanta Falcons d. Arizona Cardinals

AFC Championship: New England Patriots d. Pittsburgh Steelers

I didn't want to pick Philly in the NFC leaving me with those two. Ryan's decision making will make Gonzalez look amazing as the check down will be utilized quite well. AFC will be a battle. Healthy Brady makes it to another Super Bowl.

Super Bowl: New England Patriots d. Atlanta Falcons

Too much experience.

Its too early for me to be making full predictions, but I don't see the Steelers repeating. They'll probably make the playoffs, but I don't think they'll be playing in the Super Bowl again.

I do think the Titans will win the AFC South, but that's only because Indy has a new coach and hasn't really fixed some of their weaknesses well enough.

Dallas winning the NFC East or being a wild card depends largely on whether or not Romo chokes again. I sort of agree with Biggz about Dallas and Philadelphia, but frankly I could see either team winning the division and the other being the wild card.

If anyone other than Indy wins the AFC South, it'll be Houston. That offense could be scary if they can keep Schaub healthy...

...but it'd be even scarier (as in "boy, that trainwreck was scary") if he gets hurt and they have to use Rex for any length of time.

If anyone other than Indy wins the AFC South, it'll be Houston. That offense could be scary if they can keep Schaub healthy...

...but it'd be even scarier (as in "boy, that trainwreck was scary") if he gets hurt and they have to use Rex for any length of time.

The AFC South really does interest me, though. You've got Indianapolis, where Peyton is going to have to learn to play without his favourite toy; Tennessee, where Jason Jones has some gigantic shoes to fill at the nose tackle spot; and Houston, who might never have a better chance than now to go 9-7 or better.

So Plaxico is getting indicted. Personally, I'm glad. I'm sick of famous people getting off lightly or completely off the hook for so much.

NEW YORK -- Former New York Giants star Plaxico Burress was indicted by a grand jury on weapons charges for shooting himself in the thigh at a Manhattan nightclub and faces a minimum prison sentence of 3½ years if convicted, prosecutors announced Monday.

The indictment charged the 31-year-old Burress with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon and one count of reckless endangerment, Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morgenthau said.

"The grand jury applied the law to the facts of this case," Morgenthau said. He said the accidental shooting at the Latin Quarter nightclub on Nov. 29 was treated "like any similar case against any other defendant."

Burress' lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, said he was disappointed but not surprised by the indictment, which came after Burress testified before the grand jury and expressed remorse.

"When you have the mayor and the district attorney both publicly demanding a maximum prison sentence, it was perhaps too much to hope for the grand jury to conduct a sympathetic review of the unique facts of this sad case," Brafman said in a statement.

Burress' former teammate Antonio Pierce, who was with Burress in the club and drove him to the hospital, was not indicted. Immediately after the decision was announced, the NFL said Pierce would not face a league suspension.

The panel also did not indict the nightclub security guard who carried the gun to Pierce's car or the hospital staff members who failed to notify police that Burress had been shot.

Morgenthau said hospital personnel were guilty of "a screw-up rather than a cover-up" and the security guard exhibited "bad judgment in the first degree" but did not commit a crime.

Pierce, who also testified before the grand jury last week, was practicing with the Giants in Albany when he learned of the panel's decision. He was not going to speak with the media on Monday, team officials said.

Giants president John Mara said the team was pleased that the linebacker was not indicted.

"We said last week we felt strongly that Antonio's actions did not warrant criminal charges, and obviously the grand jury, having heard all of the testimony, felt the same way," he said.

Pierce's lawyer, Michael Bachner, said, "By appearing before the grand jury for almost three hours and answering the grand jury's very direct and very considered questions, it was clear to us that they understood that Mr. Pierce acted as any citizen under extraordinary circumstances would have acted."

Giants coach Tom Coughlin was glad the matter was now behind the team.

"As I said yesterday, we are anxious to start the new season, nobody more than Antonio," Coughlin said. "Today's decision allows him and this team to move forward and focus on our preparation for the season."

Having Pierce on the field is important to the Giants. He calls the defensive plays.

"Antonio is a leader on this team, but he is still human, and this has been an emotionally draining experience for him," general manager Jerry Reese said. "We know he was happy to get to training camp [sunday], and with this behind him, he can focus all his energy and efforts on football. He took this matter very seriously."

Burress was inside the club when a gun tucked into his waistband slipped down his leg and fired, shooting him in the right thigh.

Prosecutors said Monday that after taking Burress to the hospital, Pierce drove the gun to his own home in New Jersey -- not to Burress' home, as was originally reported. They said he later arranged for it to be taken to Burress' home.

Assistant District Attorney John Wolfstaetter said the bullet that hit Burress narrowly missed a nightclub security guard who was standing inches away.

The bullet lodged in the floor and was recovered by a bartender, Morgenthau said.

"He wanted it as a souvenir but we told him he had to turn it over," he said.

The gun was not licensed in New York or in New Jersey, where Burress lived, prosecutors said. Burress' license to carry a concealed weapon in the state of Florida had expired in May 2008.

The charges Burress was indicted on carry a mandatory minimum sentence of 3½ years in prison. He pleaded not guilty to weapons charges earlier this year and is free on $100,000 bail.

The grand jury indictment comes after plea bargain negotiations broke down, apparently because Morgenthau was insisting that Burress serve at least two years in prison under any plea agreement.

Assistant District Attorney Mark Dwyer said it is standard policy to request a two-year sentence as part of a plea bargain on such serious charges.

Burress, who caught the winning touchdown for the Giants over the New England Patriots in the final minute of the 2008 Super Bowl, also could face disciplinary action by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Goodell's office announced in June that the league already had started its examination of the shooting, and NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday's indictment "will be considered as part of that review."

The Giants released Burress in April and he has yet to sign with another team.

Source: ESPN

Edited by Ando Solo