NFL 2009

livid

Went to the Panthers game today and Delhomme probably looked better on tv then he really was on the field. He missed many wide open options and threw into coverage instead. He also almost got picked at least 2 times that I remember. Fortunately we won somehow cuz Atlanta ran all over us.

Is Randy Moss a top 10 receiver of all-time?

He arguably was when he left Minnesota. The record for receiving TDs in a season two years back definitely put him there. If he wasn't a douche for his 3 years in Oakland he probably could have surpassed even more of Jerry Rice's records.

In hindsight he should have punted it but the way the defense played at the end I can't blame him. He probably had more faith in his offense getting three yards then his defense stopping Manning. If they pick up the first down it's genius, if they don't everyone says it was a bad call. I think he just wanted to end the game then and there.

I was kind of pissed they didn't just let Addai run it into the endzone at the end there. That would have given the Patriots a minute something and one timeout to get in field goal range. Instead, the stopped them at the one and let the Colts run the clock down. That was the shitty play if you ask me. (N)

Piss poor offense and defense at the end of the game lost it for us, not bad play calling.

What a comeback from the COLTS! 9-0 no woooo and 9-0 and I think Peyton has thrown over 300 yards in 8 of them now!

Piss poor offense and defense at the end of the game lost it for us, not bad play calling.

Sorry but no. Bad play calling did lose you the game because that was a horrendous play call, regardless of Manning's ability or not. You don't give any QB, much less Peyton Manning of all people, the ball back within the 30 yard line. I understand the reasoning behind the play call but that doesn't make it any less dumb.

Sorry but no. Bad play calling did lose you the game because that was a horrendous play call, regardless of Manning's ability or not. You don't give any QB, much less Peyton Manning of all people, the ball back within the 30 yard line. I understand the reasoning behind the play call but that doesn't make it any less dumb.

If you understand the reasoning behind why is it still dumb? It's dumb because it didn't work because the offense couldn't get three yards.

It being dumb has nothing to do with it's result. It's dumb because you don't go for it on 4th down that deep in your own territory. He handed the Colts and Peyton Manning, the game on a silver platter because he wanted to look like an uber-genius by going for it on 4th down on his 28. If it was at midfield, that'd be bit different because if you don't convert, Manning still has to put a decent drive together to score.

It just puts your defense in an even worse spot than they would've been in had they punted it.

And you can understand something that's dumb. It being dumb is because it lacks intelligence, not because it can't be understood.

You said you understood the reasoning behind it, the reasoning being he didn't believe his offense could stop the Colts no matter where they were on the field. You have Tom Brady, Wes Welker, Randy Moss and three yards to go. He took a chance and it almost worked. Again I think the defense screwed up by stopping Addai on the one yard line and would have given them over a minute to get a field goal. He wasn't trying to prove he was a genius since apparently everyone thinks it was a dumb move. He probably talked with Tom Brady and Brady probably assured him they would get it. He had more faith in his offense then his defense at the end of the game, it's that simple.

You said you understood the reasoning behind it, the reasoning being he didn't believe his offense could stop the Colts no matter where they were on the field. You have Tom Brady, Wes Welker, Randy Moss and three yards to go. He took a chance and it almost worked. Again I think the defense screwed up by stopping Addai on the one yard line and would have given them over a minute to get a field goal. He wasn't trying to prove he was a genius since apparently everyone thinks it was a dumb move. He probably talked with Tom Brady and Brady probably assured him they would get it. He had more faith in his offense then his defense at the end of the game, it's that simple.

And it's a horrible play call given their position on the field. If you're scared you can't stop Manning on a 60+ yard drive, why would you be any less scared at the possibility of giving it back to him with 28 yards to go? The reason it's dumb is because of where he made the play call, not the idea of trusting his offense more than his defense.

And it's a horrible play call given their position on the field. If you're scared you can't stop Manning on a 60+ yard drive, why would you be any less scared at the possibility of giving it back to him with 28 yards to go? The reason it's dumb is because of where he made the play call, not the idea of trusting his offense more than his defense.

Seems like we are going in circles here. In my opinion, I don't think the Patriots defense could have stopped The Colts from marching down from anywhere on the field. I think he put more faith into his offense to pick up the three yards. If he felt his defense couldn't stop them from scoring from say the 60 yards out, I don't think he was expecting them to get the stop at the 20.

And again, I felt that had they simply let Addai run into the end zone with a minute something left, the Patriots would have gotten the ball back with one timeout, more then enough time to possibly get in field goal range.

Edited by Pepsi

Seems like we are going in circles here. In my opinion, I don't think the Patriots defense could have stopped The Colts from marching down from anywhere on the field. I think he put more faith into his offense to pick up the three yards. If he felt his defense couldn't stop them from scoring from say the 60 yards out, I don't think he was expecting them to get the stop at the 20.

I see what you're aiming for, and Manning was in pretty...well, Manningish form, but regardless of the relative merits of a team's offensive and defensive units, not going for it when you're ahead, with a handful of minutes to go in the game, within your own thirty-yard line is Coaching 001. It's not even 101, it's something everybody should already be aware is not the right thing to do. You can blame the players, but there's a credible argument for saying Belichick cost the Patriots the game with that decision.