Give me documentaries.

MalaCloudy Black

13 hours ago, K said:

Watching this at the moment

Legendary moonshiner Popcorn Sutton demonstrates the art, craft, and character of illegal moonshine distillation in this revered cult-classic.

It's funny, I've actually been watching bits and bobs of this on and off for like 3 weeks now. I think I'm only like 45 minutes in.

A conventional grave marker was used at the head of Sutton's grave, reading "Marvin Popcorn Sutton / Ex-Moonshiner / October 5, 1946 / March 16, 2009".[22] He had also prepared a footstone in advance for his gravesite, and for years he had kept it by his front porch and had kept his casket ready in his living room. The epitaph on his footstone reads "Popcorn Said Fuck You"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cornelius Weinerbottom said:

It's funny, I've actually been watching bits and bobs of this on and off for like 3 weeks now. I think I'm only like 45 minutes in.

In the documentary he describes his wife as "the finest woman to ever shit between two tennis shoes" and i haven't stopped thinking about that since I heard it

• Haha 2

• 6 months later...

can anyone recommend some easy going documentaries? Fairly light hearted stuff. Nothing heavily political, definitely no true crime. Just some light hearted, or interesting or fun watches.

Stuff like the Fyre Festival and Woodstock 99 docs, Class Action Park, Beanie Mania, things like that.

I know that within those docs there are some quite serious issues, sexual assault and injuries and death, but you know what i mean.

7 minutes ago, Colly said:

I've watched the first Welcome to Wrexham on Disney+, feels about the right level if you're in the mood for a sporty one.

sounds good thanks. i'll probably wait until the season is finished on that one, but i'll definitely check it out.

10 hours ago, K said:

can anyone recommend some easy going documentaries? Fairly light hearted stuff. Nothing heavily political, definitely no true crime. Just some light hearted, or interesting or fun watches.

Stuff like the Fyre Festival and Woodstock 99 docs, Class Action Park, Beanie Mania, things like that.

I know that within those docs there are some quite serious issues, sexual assault and injuries and death, but you know what i mean.

Original Copy (2015) is available to rent on Amazon Prime and highly recommended: "Bollywood stars shine larger than life in the one-of-a-kind film posters hand painted by Mumbai's last screen painter, but as his workshop is threatened by demolition and his livelihood by plastic posters, he fights to pass on his craft."

Bill's Big Pumpkins (2007) is almost too wholesome to believe and totally appropriate for the season. Surprisingly entertaining.

Cannon Arm and the Arcade Quest (2021) is a bit overwritten, with musings on the nature of time, genius, and conformity as well as a quick, but comprehensive overview of arcade game history, but it has a lot of heart. While it is centered on one man's quest to achieve 100 hours on Gyruss, the friends that surround him are what it's really all about. Straightforward, but charming.

13 hours ago, K said:

17 hours ago, Colly said:

I've watched the first Welcome to Wrexham on Disney+, feels about the right level if you're in the mood for a sporty one.

Definitely an enjoyable watch, not editorialised to the degree something like drive to survive is, and a lot of it focuses on the community aspects of the club rather than whipped up locker room drama.

It's also made me further envious of Ryan Reynolds and how funny and charming he is and how easy he makes it seem.

Also a mate of mine is born and raised Wrexham, so it's an interesting watch knowing that I already got a lot of the stories first hand from his experience and vision of things.

Neat: The Story of Bourbon is an educational and interesting watch if you’re at all a drinker. Some good overview of history, study of how it’s made, look at some of the current makers, and even a good profile on at least one key personality. Really enjoyed it.

Also Too Funny to Fail, which is a look back at the short-lived sketch series, The Dana Carvey Show. Fascinating story of how it came about, the people involved, and the challenges it faced, all leading to its doom. Funny and interesting.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm watching "No-one saw a thing" at the moment.

No One Saw a Thing examines "an unsolved and mysterious death in the American Heartland and the effects of vigilantism in small town America. The case garnered international attention in the early 1980s after a resident, Ken Rex McElroy, was shot dead in front of almost 60 townspeople. These witnesses deny having seen anything, to this very day."[2]