Your favourite sportsmen in non-team sports

So here's a list of some non-team sports, if you have a favourite either present, past or both then include them in your list.

The joy of a solo sport is that there is more freedom in choosing a favourite!

If you can think of other sports please add them!

TENNIS:

GOLF:

HORSE RACING:

BOXING:

SNOOKER:

DARTS:

"SOLO" SPORTS WITHIN TEAMS:

F1:

NASCAR:

CYCLING:

ATHLETICS:

For me my favourite tennis players of present are Andy Murray (he's growing on me) and the beast of Belarus - Max Mirnyi. Of the past I used to love Greg Rusedski and my favourite female player was Martina Hingis and also liked Justine Henin (she's two years younger than me?! WHAAAAAA?!).

Golf-wise I don't have much love at the moment. As a kid it was Sandy Lyle and Nick Faldo but now maybe Justin Rose - bout time he kept himself together and won something.

Horse racing don't care.

Boxing was always Joe Calzaghe for years. Every fight night I'd go to bed apprehensive that he'd keep his perfect record - which he always did. Great great fighter.

Snooker was Steve Davis as a kid and so still love the guy now he's ancient and still performing well enough. Also liked Ebdon so when he won the World Championship back in the day that was cool. Also like Joe Swail cos he's deaf.

Darts has been Raymond van Barneveld for years since before he was winning tournaments back in the other organisation. I don't go out of my way to watch darts but if it's on and he's playing I'll generally watch. Amazing player when on form

F1 is Jenson Button. Nice to see him finally with a chance this year. Also like Fisichella, Webber and Heidfeld.

Back in the day it was Frentzen for pretty much his whole F1 career and before that Hill and Mansell of course.

No interest in NASCAR or any US motorsports.

I'll be one of the only cycling fans so I'll make it count. Rasmussen and Ullrich are my all time faves and Ras should be back this season. Huzzah. Otherwise I'm currently loving Cavendish of course, Millar, Wiggins, Oscar Freire, Thor Hushovd, Andy Schleck and much love for Andreas Kloden.

TENNIS: Guillermo Coria, although he barely players anymore so probably just big Roger Federer

GOLF: Padraig Harrington

HORSE RACING: Don't care

BOXING: (Can I substitute MMA in here?) If so, Georges St. Pierre or Matt Hughes. If not then... err.... I don't care again. Hatton?

SNOOKER: Ronnie O'Sullivan

DARTS: James Wade

F1: Used to be Mika Hakkinen. Don't care now, redundant sport.

NASCAR: (Can I sub with Moto GP?) If so... Dani Pedrosa... if not.. I don't know any.

CYCLING: Hard to say, I like loads at different times. Lance Armstrong, Kim Kirchen, Andy Schleck, Mark Cavendish

ATHLETICS: Dayron Robles

Edited by IAceI

TENNIS: I really admire Roger Federer's playing and his attitude to the game so he's my favourite. I also like Andy Murray because he's Scottish. >_>

GOLF: I like Retief Goosen because he was nice to me when I spoke to him.

HORSE RACING: I don't really no any. Ruby Walsh perhaps?

BOXING: Calazaghe obviously. LIke I said for Federer, fantastic attitude towards his sport.

SNOOKER: Hendry obviously because he's Scottish. >_> I don't get much opportunity to cheer for Scottish sportsmen who are actually successful so when I do I lap it up.

DARTS: Van Barneveld because he is the only non Phil Taylor one I know and I don't really like him.

F1: I like Jenson Button and Giancarlo Fisichella. i also really liked Juan Pablo Montoya during his Williams days. I loved Alonso during his Renault spell because he did so well to break the Schumacher hegemony. Pity about his attitude at McLaren. I'm going to blame that on McLaren. The team poisons people. <_<

NASCAR: not a real sport. ha.

CYCLING: Chris Hoy by a mile. Due to the success/Scottish sportsman thing. I also like Pendleton and Wiggins. I don't know a great deal about road but Eddie Mercx(spelling?) was awesome.

ATHLETICS: um can't really name any off the top of my head. not Dwayne Chambers. Oh and I like Asafa Powell. Usain Bolt is a bit full of himself. I know he has every reason to be but that doesn't mean I admire it.

TENNIS: Andy Murray is probably my favourite tennis player right now, alongside Rafael Nadal and Fernando Verdasco in the men's competition.

FORMULA 1: Jenson Button has been my favourite driver for a couple of years now, and I've been super annoyed that he and Rubens Barrichello, another favourite, have struggled in the shitty Honda cars. Thankfully that all appears to have changed. Christian Cage Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Raikkonen and Mark Webber are also among my favourites.

CYCLING: David Millar, the key Brit in road cycling for a few years has been the guy I follow through the major tours, Mark Cavendish is also making a name for himself in the Sprints. Victoria Pendleton, Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins & Lizzie Armitstead are who I watch out for in the tracks, although Wiggins has actually moved to concentrate more on road cycling now.

I don't follow any of the other solo sports so couldn't name any favourites. Well, apart from Athletics, but I basically just support anyone British who's competing. Even Dwain Chambers. I forgot about Dayron Robles (he's the glasses-clad sprinter, right?) and Usain Bolt, he was just mind-blowing at the last Olympics. Everyone expected it to be one from Bolt, Powell & Gay. It ended up being one from Bolt, Bolt & Bolt.

Edited by 1PWCorino

TENNIS: Not a fan of Tennis but because most Aussie tennis players are douchebags (ie Layton Hewitt) I'll go with Tommy Haas.

GOLF: Not a golf fan either so I'll go with Geoff Ogilvy.

HORSE RACING: Fuck horse racing.

BOXING: Kostya Tszyu.

SNOOKER: Graham Dott - I got him in a pool when he won the world championships a couple of years back.

DARTS: Darts is a sport?

F1: Mark Webber 'cus he's an Aussie.

NASCAR: Marcos Ambrose first of all as he's been my hero for ages and after him any of the Roush Racing/Ford drivers.

CYCLING: Don't Follow Cycling.

ATHLETICS: Don't follow athletics.

TENNIS: In terms of actually just watching the sport, I've got phenomenal respect for Federer and think he's one of the greatest sportsmen of all time. I've got no idea what he'd be like in real life though, so I'm not going to say it's his personality that really make me like him. I love Andy Murray's tennis but he's a sulky little bastard on-court. I've met him a couple of times and he seems to be incredibly dull, so it's purely because I love his style of tennis that he's in here.

MMA: Got to be St. Pierre. I've totally lost track of UFC (and MMA in general) since it's all been on Setanta, but he seemed like a really nice guy. I absolutely despise Matt Hughes (particularly after seeing him on that series of TUF,) so that probably made me like Georges even more.

SNOOKER: Got to be John Higgins. Really polite and mild-mannered when interviewed but still has the right mentality to win. I absolutely loathe Ronnie O'Sullivan, probably more than any other non-football sportsman.

EDIT:

Forgot to add

ATHLETICS: Michael Johnson. Atlanta 96 is one of my most vivid sporting memories and it take a particularly cool customer to be able to sprint like they actually don't give a fuck. This is all compounded by the fact that he's probably my favourite ever sporting pundit in any field and I'm still baffled that the BBC have got him.

Edited by -A-

TENNIS: Balls to tennis. Sorry Acey. ¬_¬

GOLF: Balls to Golf even more. Padraig Harrington I guess.

HORSE RACING: Frankie Dettori.

BOXING: Nobody really, unless MMA counts, in which case Arlovski and GSP.

SNOOKER: The guy with the cool hair that died of cancer.

DARTS: Martin 'Wolfy' Adams, because as well as being a good darts player and a BDO loyalist, he's a great bloke. Also, even though he fucked off to the PDC, I still can't help but love Michael van Gerwen. He's a fucking human calculator (even by darts player's standards), and watching him play is just mesmerising. Most players, when they miss a double and hit a single, or some similar error, will take time out to get annoyed at themselves and work out where to go next. van Gerwen is just "bang, bang, eh - double 17 now then.. bang". Neils de Ruiter too because he uses Enter Sandman as his entrance theme at the Lakeside (when he qualifies ¬_¬).

F1: Always used to be 'the forgotten Finn' Mika Salo for no real reason, then it was Mikka Hakkinen. Currently it's Jenson Button, basically because he's British, not shit, and not Lewis Hamilton. ¬_¬ I also like Kubica, and have a soft spot for Fisichella because he seems to have been around forever and never really gotten anywhere. Like Barrichello, except that Barichello sold out by winning stuff occasionally. :shifty:

NASCAR: Dunno. Does that guy who's the son of that other guy, that used to do Formula One for a season or two, still do NASCAR? Or was that IndyCar? Meh.

CYCLING: Thor Hushovd, basically because he's called Thor and isn't so obscure as to never be mentioned during races. Also Chris Hoy and Mark Cavendish, because... yeah.

ATHLETICS: Don't care really.

TENNIS: Roger Federer

GOLF: Colin Montgomerie

HORSE RACING: Frankie Detorri

SNOOKER: Sean Murphy

F1: Rubens Barichello

ATHLETICS: Johnathan Edwards and Colin Jackson. And any of the kids from my old school who try for the Olympics. If she sticks up with it, Tara Bird one day.

TENNIS: Roger Federer

GOLF: Nick Faldo

HORSE RACING: Frankie Dettori

BOXING: Mike Tyson

SNOOKER: Jimmy White

DARTS: Phil Taylor

F1: Juan Pablo Montoya

NASCAR: Juan Pablo Montoya

CYCLING: Lance Amrstrong

ATHLETICS: Jonathan Edwards

Golf: Phil Mickleson