Sitting at gigs

Matt

So I've never done it, is it worth doing? Do people actually sit down or what? I want to see Green Day (fuck off I'm still a mosher, I just like being taken back to my youthier youth) and this is what I may resort to go see them.

Eh it's usually a bit shit aye. Depends on the band really. It would definitely be shite for Green Day because you'd have to pay attention to the music rather than jump around. Plus they're angled towards a more active audience.

On the otherhand, when I saw Bob Dylan the other night I had to sit down for the first part and still enjoyed it.

Yeah really depends on the band. I can't imagine sitting for Green Day and I don't even pit.

I sat for Foo Fighters acoustic and half of an Alkaline Trio show when I didn't have floor tickets, till my sister managed to nab a floor wristband for me.

I also sat in a balcony for Morningwood, 30 Seconds to Mars and Zox at a radio station show they were all on, went down to the floor for Story of the Year though

I hate taking seated tickets, feels toof ar away, I guess partly because I grew up going to gigs that were generally standing only, and generally hanging out at the front or in the pit, it's weird being so far away. Did it for The Police because really, what chance am I going to get to see them again? But yeah, on the whole, the kind of gigs I go to are far more fun up close.

It's not horrible, but standing near the stage is much more fun. I've sat at concerts before and had a good time, it all depends on the atmosphere really.

When I have nosebleed seats I tend to sit down during some songs. Though when I saw Tool and was basically touching the ceiling of the building I was up for the whole show. It does depend on the band though. When I saw Yes I sat down the entire time until I walked out half way through the show. If you aren't the kind to pit it up and you aren't on the floor it's really up to you.

I think it depends on the venue as well. The gigs that I sat in all in the same location, a small arena, with the balcony having a better view than most of the floor. If it were anywhere else, I'd say the floor is much better. So year, location is key.

I guess it depends on the arena too. In the O2 at the recent Metallica spate of gigs over here, me and my friend had seats, but didn't actually sit down much at all. Not for Metallica at least anyway. We were sat for Machine Head and The Sword, but EVERYONE got up for 'Tallica. I think we only sat down during some of the slower songs/ones we didn't know or the Hammet/Trujillo solos, mainly just because at that point we'd been on our feet, walking around London for like 7 seven hours anyway.

Though I can't compare this to any other gigs, as it was my one and only gig. As Hetfield put it, I was a "Metallivirgin". <_<

Edited by TheModernWay

I've only been to two concerts: Summer Sanitarium 2003 and Rock on the Range 2008 --- I've had seats for both due to length of event. But I still stand and sing-a-long and had a great time. I don't need to mosh, run around, etc. to enjoy great live music. I do have field tickets for RotR09 though. :shifty: