The best trophy in sports?

Exactly. Which is why I think the World Cup is the best, despite it not being the biggest nor shinyest. Why not tell the guy who quoted me about it not being about the history as much as it is the best looking when I'm arguing the same point as you?

I wasn't arguing against you. It was you who mentioned the Ashes.

I think the World Cup is great and of course means far more to me personally than the Stanley Cup or the Superbowl cup thing.

I simply brought up the Ashes because I thought it funny that someone would mention the visual affects of the World Cup, but completely ignore the Ashes - which while historic, isn't much a visual trophy. Is all.

But for the record;

Historic, best story, whatever trophy; World Cup

Visually my favourite; Possibly the Stanley Cup... I mean its fucking huuuge.

Could you explain how the World Cup trophy is more historic and has better stories than the Stanley Cup? I love soccer and think that the World Cup is one of the greatest tournaments in the history of sport, but the trophy itself doesn't hold a candle to the Stanley Cup. Hell the FIFA World Cup trophy has only been around since 1974. Before that they used the Jules Rimet Trophy.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In support of IAceI, the World Cup trophy is representative of a great deal more than the Stanley Cup. It has been lifted by players from all over the world, and represents mutli-culturalism and the uniting spirit of sport in a way no other trophy can really hope to match up to.

So despite it's relative youth, you could argue that the FIFA World Cup trophy is more significant than the Stanley Cup.

There isn't really any right or wrong answer in this debate, but I really do find myself agreeing with Ace on this one.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
In support of IAceI, the World Cup trophy is representative of a great deal more than the Stanley Cup. It has been lifted by players from all over the world, and represents mutli-culturalism and the uniting spirit of sport in a way no other trophy can really hope to match up to.

So despite it's relative youth, you could argue that the FIFA World Cup trophy is more significant than the Stanley Cup.

There isn't really any right or wrong answer in this debate, but I really do find myself agreeing with Ace on this one.

Every nation to win the World Cup:

England

France

Italy

Germany

Argentina

Brazil

Uruguay

Every nation which has had at least one player win the Stanley Cup since 2007:

Canada

United States

Russia

Ukraine

Sweden

Finland

Czech Republic

Slovakia

Equal number of continents, more countries for the Stanley Cup IN THE PAST THREE YEARS than the World Cup ever.

Thanks for playing. :)

England

France

Italy

Germany

Argentina

Brazil

Uruguay

Canada

United States

Russia

Ukraine

Sweden

Finland

Czech Republic

Slovakia

Equal number of continents, more countries for the Stanley Cup IN THE PAST THREE YEARS than the World Cup ever.

Playing by your rules, the UEFA Champuons League absolutely pummels the Stanley Cup in into the ground.

I'm with MPH on this one. I think the World Cup is a great event, but I really don't think of international football/soccer as the sport that unites people and celebrates multi-culturalism. I think it's highly patriotic to the point that some of the worst things about people come out during that time.

Not all hockey players are Canadian, you know. ^_^

And multi-cultralism, the teams that win the World Cup are all from the same country (more or less), but the Stanley Cup Champions are usually a team that's built with players from several different countries all over the world.

And to answer the original question: Stanley Cup. It's just really neat knowing the name of every past champion is on the thing.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

England

France

Italy

Germany

Argentina

Brazil

Uruguay

Canada

United States

Russia

Ukraine

Sweden

Finland

Czech Republic

Slovakia

Playing by your rules, the UEFA Champuons League absolutely pummels the Stanley Cup in into the ground.

They're your rules, I was just pointing out that you weren't following them correctly.

My rules state that for a country to be valid, each team must have at least six players from said country. -_-

That's how I always play that game.

Anyway, fair enough - I am aware that it isn't just Canadian people that compete for the Stanley Cup. I do have NHL 2003 after all. >_>

But the World Cup is the only event I can think of that as many as two hundred countries compete for. Regardless of who might win at the end, that's still pretty cool and unique.

My rules state that for a country to be valid, each team must have at least six players from said country. -_-

That's how I always play that game.

Anyway, fair enough - I am aware that it isn't just Canadian people that compete for the Stanley Cup. I do have NHL 2003 after all. >_>

But the World Cup is the only event I can think of that as many as two hundred countries compete for. Regardless of who might win at the end, that's still pretty cool and unique.

What about the FIBA World Championships?

The FIFA World Cup trophy has gotta be the best sports trophy by miles , it's solid gold and 32 teams every 4 years have the chance to compete for it, whereas most other trophies are won every year. Plus there is a year qualifying campaign in which over 200 countries trie to qualify, granted about 100 nations never have a chance as they produce poor sportsmen

The FIFA World Cup trophy has gotta be the best sports trophy by miles , it's solid gold and 32 teams every 4 years have the chance to compete for it, whereas most other trophies are won every year. Plus there is a year qualifying campaign in which over 200 countries trie to qualify, granted about 100 nations never have a chance as they produce poor sportsmen

Technically they don't win that golden trophy, they get a replica. ;) The Stanley Cup however stays with the team for one full season and everyone gets to spend one day with it doing whatever they want. Hilarity ensues.

And why does the number of teams playing for it count? It's not about the tournament, it's about the trophy.

Edited by foolinc

Plus the World Cup requires what....12-20 games over 4 years to win while the Stanley Cup involves 82 regular season games before a minimum of 16 games of the most gruelling sport besides rugby to win. It's harder on the body to win the Stanley Cup than any other trophy.

Plus the World Cup requires what....12-20 games over 4 years to win while the Stanley Cup involves 82 regular season games before a minimum of 16 games of the most gruelling sport besides rugby to win. It's harder on the body to win the Stanley Cup than any other trophy.

Only people in the US and Canada actually care about the Stanley Cup, the rest of the world want to win the World Cup, it is the ultimate prize in sport

Only people in the US and Canada actually care about the Stanley Cup, the rest of the world want to win the World Cup, it is the ultimate prize in sport

I beat you that hockey is much more popular in places like Finland, Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic, etc... than football/soccer. The Stanley Cup is probably much more recognizable than the little gold trinklet you get for winning the World Cup.

I beat you that hockey is much more popular in places like Finland, Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic, etc... than football/soccer. The Stanley Cup is probably much more recognizable than the little gold trinklet you get for winning the World Cup.

Yeah sure how many people worldwide watched the stanley cup compared to Manchester United Vs Barcelona in the Champions League not as many i can tell you that, and the World Cup is even bigger than the Champions League

How does that relate to the trophy?

bs1.jpg

You couldn't use another pic...it's too soon man, too soon.

But yeah, the Stanley Cup wins hands down. I will go with a Olympic gold medal second, and the Heisman third.

Does this help? DucksCupBlog.jpg?t=1246051053

Hey dude, I'm Australian, I'm quite sure we have never had anyone born here play in the NHL and I still care about the Stanley Cup over the world cup.