The best trophy in sports?

Plus the World Cup requires what....12-20 games over 4 years to win while the Stanley Cup involves 82 regular season games before a minimum of 16 games of the most gruelling sport besides rugby to win. It's harder on the body to win the Stanley Cup than any other trophy.

Only people in the US and Canada actually care about the Stanley Cup, the rest of the world want to win the World Cup, it is the ultimate prize in sport

I beat you that hockey is much more popular in places like Finland, Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic, etc... than football/soccer. The Stanley Cup is probably much more recognizable than the little gold trinklet you get for winning the World Cup.

Yeah sure how many people worldwide watched the stanley cup compared to Manchester United Vs Barcelona in the Champions League not as many i can tell you that, and the World Cup is even bigger than the Champions League

Again...

How does that relate to the trophy?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus the World Cup requires what....12-20 games over 4 years to win while the Stanley Cup involves 82 regular season games before a minimum of 16 games of the most gruelling sport besides rugby to win. It's harder on the body to win the Stanley Cup than any other trophy.

Only people in the US and Canada actually care about the Stanley Cup, the rest of the world want to win the World Cup, it is the ultimate prize in sport

It doesn't lol i may have went off topic lol my bad

I find the Stanley cup, whilst looking cool, seems way too OTT and even can come across as a bit cheesy. There are many other trophies that are simply shaped better in my opinion.

There's obvious potentials, like the FA Cup, the Championship trophy, the World Cup (both the Jules Rimet and the modern incarnation).

I've always quite liked the 'old-fashioned' look of the rugby league challenge cup

challenge_cup_465_465x370.jpg

Big Ears wins it for me:

champs-league-trophy.jpg

Honourable mentions for the World Cup:

worldcup2006.jpg

The A-League trophy:

IMG_0119%20edit_1.jpg

The Borg-Warner Trophy:

spr7.jpg

The Calcutta Cup:

calcutta_cup10.jpg

I think the Stanley Cup is vastly overrated (if we're going by looks here...which is what I am). It looks like a barrel. And not the cool kind with beer inside (keg).

It is blindingly obvious how the international aspect of the FIFA World Cup trophy relates to the vast number of countries competing for it. The design of the trophy itself embodies it. The sculptor himself described his design of it as follows:

"The lines spring out from the base, rising in spirals, stretching out to receive the world. From the remarkable dynamic tensions of the compact body of the sculpture rise the figures of two athletes at the stirring moment of victory."

It is blindingly obvious how the international aspect of the FIFA World Cup trophy relates to the vast number of countries competing for it. The design of the trophy itself embodies it. The sculptor himself described his design of it as follows:

"The lines spring out from the base, rising in spirals, stretching out to receive the world. From the remarkable dynamic tensions of the compact body of the sculpture rise the figures of two athletes at the stirring moment of victory."

So any trophy with a map of the globe on it will do? Got it.

In case you missed the context of the question, someone was arguing that because more people care about football/soccer it's a better trophy. When I think about trophies, I'm looking at it from an aesthetic point of view. A great trophy that two people compete for is better to me than that 99 cents store thing Hamster put up in the first post in terms of what I'd like to look at. Some of those college football rivalry things have 100+ years worth of history and look like something that was whittled out of wood 100+ years ago. Historically speaking they're important, but they're also flat out ugly.

So any trophy with a map of the globe on it will do? Got it.

In case you missed the context of the question, someone was arguing that because more people care about football/soccer it's a better trophy. When I think about trophies, I'm looking at it from an aesthetic point of view. A great trophy that two people compete for is better to me than that 99 cents store thing Hamster put up in the first post in terms of what I'd like to look at. Some of those college football rivalry things have 100+ years worth of history and look like something that was whittled out of wood 100+ years ago. Historically speaking they're important, but they're also flat out ugly.

In case you missed the context of the original post - the precedent of which I am following here - this thread is not just about which trophy looks better. When I think about trophies I like to think about the symbolism behind them and the deeper meaning. Otherwise, they're all just silver vases. And the Stanley Cup is just a slightly bigger silver vase. Who gives a fuck?

However, when you take into account the history of the Stanley Cup, who has touched it, what has been done with it - it takes on a whole greater meaning.

Just like when you take into account the symbolism of the World Cup and what its design is intended to convey - it too takes on a whole greater meaning. Which is, I believe, the point of this thread. In case you missed the context of it.

Fuck right off. Yes, football is the most popular sport in the world. No, that does not mean that everybody wants to win the World Cup.

The World Cup is boring, there's no stories about when the trophy ended up in Pele's swimming pool. Hell, Domink Hasek (I think, may have been Lidstrom?) took the Stanley cup to his hometown, held a roller hockey tourney with some kids from the neighbourhood and "awarded" them the cup for the day. Remember that time took the World Cup home, played 5 a side with some kids and made their dreams come true by letting them hoist it? No, because those kids had to pay £20 to stare at a replica in some glass case.

The team that wins the Stanley Cup has worked together for at least an entire year, they may play years together (obviously not so much with the advent of free agency, but that's another argument). World Cup teams may never play with each other again, and if they do, it's sparingly, in games that their club managers don't want them playing their hardest for fear of injury making them miss their "real" games in the domestic leagues.

Can we please stop having these football/anti-football debates? We get it, you guys like football, congratulations. It's still a tiny trophy. Honestly, you can buy bigger cups in Vegas, so fuck that tiny little thing. The Stanley Cup FTW.

Fuck right off. Yes, football is the most popular sport in the world. No, that does not mean that everybody wants to win the World Cup.

The World Cup is boring, there's no stories about when the trophy ended up in Pele's swimming pool. Hell, Domink Hasek (I think, may have been Lidstrom?) took the Stanley cup to his hometown, held a roller hockey tourney with some kids from the neighbourhood and "awarded" them the cup for the day. Remember that time took the World Cup home, played 5 a side with some kids and made their dreams come true by letting them hoist it? No, because those kids had to pay £20 to stare at a replica in some glass case.

The team that wins the Stanley Cup has worked together for at least an entire year, they may play years together (obviously not so much with the advent of free agency, but that's another argument). World Cup teams may never play with each other again, and if they do, it's sparingly, in games that their club managers don't want them playing their hardest for fear of injury making them miss their "real" games in the domestic leagues.

Touched a nerve have I?