Sven-Goran Eirksson To Notts County!

Hobo

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol?

He's been promised financial security for the next five years and a solid coaching job anytime during that.

And he's ripping it up? This means one of three things:

1) The Daily Mail is making shit up

2) Campbell is dumber than he looks

3) Notts Co's guys have failed the fit and proper test and he has no guarantee of getting his money.

Edited by The General

This is a very odd move as I don't think he can actually sign with anyone else now for three months. I'm sure that rule was brought in to stop clubs releasing players on free transfers to other clubs outside of transfer windows a few years back.

All I can think of is that his body really is screwed to the point where he can't do it anymore or that someone at the club has pissed him off.

Either way it's not a huge loss for Notts. One great player can make a difference in a poor side if it's a keeper or attacker but a centre back is really only as effective as the rest of his defence.

But it's ridiculous, surely if Notts Co played it smart they could demand a cut of compensation for spending several weeks wages on something that will never come to function.

Instead they're "Happy to let Sol move on if he wants to", there is no-way a club that has such a high profile player would let him go for absolutely nothing just because he wants to. In ways I could even understand Adriano a while back, but this wasn't just about football, it was about leading towards a potential coaching job.

For a compromise to happen both parties must be happy, and the only way I can think of for Notts Co to be happy is that they didn't have the money to finance his contract.

So yeah it's almost a certainty that they're financially fucked. Either that or they're preparing one hell of a lawsuit for when he attempts to sign for a club within 3 months <_<

This makes Campbell look really stupid. I'm glad, because it was one step too far out of the realms of reality really, and Sven going there was stretching it. It's like when you cheat by going into the FM data editor and give your small team loads of money and a big player or two to walk through the lower leagues.

Isn't he leaving to try and get a chance of getting into the World Cup squad? I'm sure I read an interview with him a few weeks back where he said he would jump at the chance to go South Africa and that Capello was previously interested in him. In which case, I would have thought he has verbally agreed to go back to Notts County after the WC to go back as a coach. That way both parties are happy.

Well reading the BBC article on it, Notts County's executive chairman said "Sol, I think, has still got one eye on the 2010 World Cup squad." And then there's a few quotes elsewhere from Sol a few weeks back saying "I would love to be in that World Cup squad next year. Why not? It's not as if if I'm suddenly not going to be playing well. In the latter stages of my time at Portsmouth, there were conversations with people around the England camp about bringing me back in and that was very nice to know."

I doubt he'd make the WC squad especially at his age. Rio and Terry are practically on the plane and then he'll have Brown, Lescott, Upson in front of him and then perhaps Jagielka or Ledley King if their fitness and form isn't a worry. I'm not sure if he left Notts County with the WC in mind though because to do so, he would have had to be absolutely completely sure he has a chance (ie. word from Capello) or else he wouldn't want to leave a job he has secured for the next five years at the minimum. The other reasons for wanting to leave the team would be that he wasn't fully prepared for the extent of the challenge which is just as likely a reason really.

I've been reading through the Notts Co site and there's an interesting quote about Sol Campbell shirts.

Pretty much anyone who has bought one will be able to get a refund/replacement shirt.

Now that's classy stuff, only problem would be that a good chunk of fans bought the shirt for the novelty in the first place ¬_¬

I am personally very glad that Sol has gone. Arriving at the club miles from full fitness, taking more money than the rest of the squad put together and leaving after a single match, in which he was a complete liability, hardly suggests a great amount of commitment to the club. It always seemed to be a publicity stunt more than anything else from Notts County, but the reality is that bringing in players on name value alone is not the way to run a football club.

I also hope that McParland, Sven or whoever happens to be pulling the strings does not rush to bring in another high-profile defensive replacement. If last season was anything to go by, the likes of Mike Edwards, who was forced out of the side last Saturday to accommodate Sol, are the ones to thank for the fact that Notts are still in the Football League. The best thing to do would surely be to let the team gel together and create some stability at a club currently in a period of heavy transition.

A guy who is behind the Notts County takeover has had £1.9m of assets seized from Jersey

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/24/russell-king-notts-county-qadbak

Whether he's just the SAF (pompeys SAF ¬_¬) character who served as a middleman between the previous owners and the new owners or IS the new owners is up in the air at this point.

It is looking like Notts Co are fucked, if Accrington Stanley can face a winding down order with £300k of debt, think of how much debt Notts Co will have racked up over the past month or two.

• 3 weeks later...