The Truman Show

Quom

I loved Cable Guy. I know I'm usually in the minority when I say that, but is it possible that I'm the only person on EWB that enjoys that movie? Seems that way.

I don't love it but I'll watch it every so often when it's on TV. It has it's moments and the scene at Medieval Times is a memorable one. I like how it has the dark comedy element to it.

I think Keith said it best when he called Yes Man an absolute gem, I love that film to bits. Though honestly a lot of it is to do with Norm.

If I had to rank Carrey films...

Man on the Moon,

Yes Man,

Liar, Liar,

Truman Show,

Me, Myself and Irene,

Eternal Sunshine,

The Grinch.

There's probably more to be listed but I can't really think of any others right at this moment, but yeah. I thought Eternal Sunshine was good, but nowhere near as good as some make it out to be. I can appreciate how clever it is and why people like it so much, it just didn't really live up to the hype for me. Man On The Moon on the other hand was by far the best thing I've ever seen Jim Carrey in and is easily on my list of top 10 favourite films. The Grinch get's a place on the list because it came out when I was 9-10 and holds a fair bit of sentimental value to me, so I probably enjoy it more than I should.

I think just about all the Jim Carrey movies I've seen are brilliant. I just like the guy, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

I was 9/10 when the Ace Ventura films came out so I adored them and the whacky humour at the time and I still enjoy watching them now. I don't think I'd ever consider The Truman Show amongst my top films but I can't fault it at all. I can't put it better than McFly when he said it just has a charm about it as well as the sinister side of it too.

I probably think Bruce Almighty is a lot better than it is. Cause it's one of those films that you and a load of friends will have seen more than a few times and find yourselves quoting at each other. This happens a lot with people I know and Carrey films. I love the extras on the dvd where they basically show him doing whatever the hell he feels like in a kitchen full of props amongst other things.

I'm also the only person who loves both Ace Ventura movies

Slightly presumptuous Mr Hammy :P

I do like Jim Carrey on the whole, but Truman Show probably isn't my favourite by any stretch of the imagination. It's good, but I prefer Liar Liar, Eternal Sunshine and Man On The Moon.

I also like Cable Guy, and don't really get why it gets shat on as hard as it does by some people. Again, its not exactly my favourite film, but it isn't THAT bad.

My top 5 Jim Carrey films are:

1. The Truman Show (obviously)

2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

3. Batman Forever

4. Dumb and Dumber

5. The Number 23... only kidding, Yes Man

I haven't seen 'The Majestic' or 'Man on the Moon' yet. Despite its tepid critical reception, 'The Majestic' could be awesome. McCarthyism plus Frank Darabont equals epic win, possibly.

I really liked The Truman Show, it was a rare thing in that it is a movie that is neither particularly arty and pretentious nor does it treat the viewer like an idiot. You do have to pay attention and have a modicum of intelligence to really get it but it stays away from deliberately confusing as well.

Not a top 10 movie by any means buy defiantely worth a 7+/10 for me (5 being acceptable)

Honestly I think it's a great movie. Not all movies have to be a cinematic masterpiece or academy award winners. They can just be good, 'sit down and watch' movies. The Truman Show presents its story well and it's actors are solid and believable. That's all it has to be. The best I can compare it to would be something like "Stranger Than Fiction". Nothing special but still a fun little movie.

I am slightly disturbed by the fact that Biggz and I are the only ones who seem to enjoy the vampire classic Once Bitten.

Seriously, if you've seen it and didn't mention it, shame on you. If you haven't seen it, check it out. It's actually one of his better comedies, and is long before his time as Ace Ventura.