Football Manager 2010

METALMAN

Okay, I'm gonna try a run of games without Van Persie in the team and if that doesn't work, retrain Fabregas as an AM and push him up field, and if that doesn't work, go to a 4-4-2 and live without Fabregas being awesome at goals and assists like IRL :(

Van der Vaart cost me £14mil at the start of the 11/12 season. I sold Bassong to Barcelona for £15mil halfway through the 10/11 season after he played 1 game for me in the first season and 4 in the second. He stayed at Barcelona for two seasons and played 21 games first years, 3 the next and 1 before being sold in the next to Werder Bremen for £9.25mil.

My current team (before bringing in the youngsters who have excelled in the friendlies so far) is:

GK: Gomes

RB: Corluka

LB: Bale/Joe Mattock

CB: Woodgate/Dawson

CB: Rodwell

RW: Lennon/Joe Cole

CM: Modric

CM: Van der Vaart/Palacios/Dempsey/Taraabt/dos Santos

LW: Kranjcar/Milner/O'Hara

FW: Keane/Pav

FW: di Santo

I have three waves of players - my "30 somethings" who will be finishing in a season or two - Woodgate, King, Cole, Van der Vaart, Dempsey, Keane, Pav...

Then there are loads of early-mid 20s who will take over (like Taraabt, Victor Moses, dos Santos) while my myriad of 16-20 year olds go out on loan for a year or two and then own the Premiership for the next ten years after that.

Anybody got any ideas how I can get my successful tackles percentage up? It's usually between 50-65%, which is pretty low for a team aiming for the CL. Would it be down to strength/aggression? Looking at the matches it seemed my team was closing down too much so I set closing down to default and it didn't make much difference. Putting tackling to harder would just seem to get me more bookings as well.

To get your tackle success rate up you should probably go to easy tackling - that way players will only go in when they feel they are certain to win the ball. If you have a few players on hard tackling (especially in midfield) then it stands to reason that they will lose out a decent amount of the the time in 50/50's and they will also be going in for tackles where the opposition are favourite to win the ball.

Yeah, maybe I should change my wingers/pussy midfielders (ie Fabregas, Ramsey) to easy tackling. That seems to be where I commit all of my fouls. My defence seems to be pretty good at tackling when they actually go for tackles, so maybe I should even switch them to hard tackling. I think I'll experiment a little.

So in January 2011 now, sitting 4th in the table, 6 or 7 ahead of Spurs in 5th but 6 behind Chelsea in 3rd and that's the way it's been for a while. I bought Heitinga, just managing to beat off (:shifty:) Chelsea for his signature by offering him more money. There were other targets I wanted, but all for about 25m and that just isn't the Arsenal way. Plus I decided in my head that him and Vermaelen are like best mates. Heitinga will replace Gallas when he leaves in the summer on a free. This is the defence I'm building towards:

RB: Sagna

LB: Vermaelen

CB: Nordtveit

CB: Heitinga

Due to Traore's ineptitude at LB, I've been playing Vermaelen there and with Gallas injured, I decided to give Nordtveit a chance at CB. He's been pretty good. Djourou hasn't done badly either, when I've played him there. At the moment Vermaelen is out for 2-3 months so I'm playing Gallas at LB instead. I think I might interchange Gibbs and Nordtveit next season with Vermaelen stepping in at CB when Gibbs plays. Traore will be off, even though his pace means he could make a pretty devastating left winger. If his finishing was better I'd have him as the left flank version of Walcott.

My tactics weren't doing very well so I decided to just revert to the game's default 4-5-1 which is set up the same as mine but has the DM in a supporting role and the RCM in a defensive role. Seems to work a little better, though I still concede too much. Looked better with Vermaelen at LB though. Bendtner has been my best player. Vela has been better back-up than Van Persie. I think I'll sell Van Persie; he just doesn't fit in. Nasri is my best choice for the LM role, though he isn't spectacular. Maybe Wilshere, Assulin or Tremolada can challenge him for that spot next season. Ramsey is playing more games as Fabregas' midfield partner this season, though still not as many as I'd like. I prefer Ramsey and Diaby over Denilson so I'll probably sell Denilson in the summer, maybe with one of my favoured buy-back stipulations so I can bring him back if I ever do end up selling Fabregas. Sandro has stopped getting sent off every game and is pretty good at DM, and he adds some much-needed height to my team. Song is good back up, and if I'm short Sandro can always play further up because of his passing stats.

Went out of the CL early again. Accumulated 7 points scoring just 2 goals and conceding 3 :-/. 3 0-0 draws, one 1-1 draw, a 2-0 loss to Juve at home and a 1-0 win at Juve. Dominated every game mind you. Disappointing but I guess I'll just have to win the Europa League again.

Edited by Pesci

Man City game was too easy. Two seasons in and I had won just about every major competition so I decided to change it up.

Started a Journeyman's game with a bunch of leagues open. Started out in Belgian Third Division with recently promoted Bleid. Got 2 points in the first 4 games then things came together. We're sitting in 1st with a 3 point lead which is honestly incredible giving the quality of the team. It's just after the January window though and as all my players are on Amateur contracts most of the good ones got poached. Hopefully we can nurse this lead and get a promotion as I don't fancy having to win the playoffs with this inconsistent team. Bunch of good players left and my best and another great one leave in the summer which makes sticking with them next season a sticky proposition. Hopefully I can get them a promotion (and me some reputation) and leave :shifty:

Edited by rocksta

Fiddled about with editor and a custom Irish leagues game. Put the most local side to me in the game into the league, gave them some money and built a squad. After four games or so we're fifth with one loss. We've had a couple of cup games too.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought FM, so am a complete and total novice to the game. Is there a file editor to the game so I can create players, fix stats/injuries on players, etc. I started a game with West Ham, and saw with the latest patch, the injuries some of the guys have (Valon Behrami being out for 7 months) is completely off.

Anyone got any idea when the database update will be released for the January transfers? I only bought this years game yesterday (exams, so wanted to avoid addiction) and I haven't a clue what's going on with the new update or anything.

Anyone got any idea when the database update will be released for the January transfers? I only bought this years game yesterday (exams, so wanted to avoid addiction) and I haven't a clue what's going on with the new update or anything.

There's custom databases out with updated transfers, I'm using the latest one now. However, I heard the latest patch and stuff will be late Feb early March. :)

Been quite a hectic transfer window for my tottenham team:

IN

Sandro (Internacional) - £11m

Sokratis Papastathopoulos (Genoa) - £15m

Steven Defour (Standard Liege) - £13.5m

Oscar Cardozo (Benfica) - £16m

OUT

Gomes (Sevilla) - £9m

Jermaine Jenas (Roma) - £5.75m

David Bentley (Newcastle) - £8m

Michael Dawson (Inter) - £2.2m

Dorain Dervite (Hamburg) - £2.4m

Kyle Walker (Birmingham) - £2.9m

Tom Huddlestone (Man Utd) - £12m

Jonathan Woodgate (Man City) - £4.4m

Kevin Thomson (Betis) - £4.2m

Kim Kallstrom (Barcelona) £16m

Altogether pretty chuffed with that. Failed to get Nani on loan which was unfortunate.

There seems to be a huge morale problem in my Rochdale team, which I can't understand because we've just wrapped up the League 2 title and the JPT. I keep getting mails saying players are disillusioned with the lack of harmony at the club. How can I fix this?

I just got Ribery on a free.. and Cathcart looks like he'll be wicked, I want to oversee his rise to United's defensive leader. Though I may leave, find a new club, snap Cathcart & a few of my youngsters up and see what I can do. Already one of the best managers in the woooorld.

Got an Arsenal game going at the moment, just to keep me going until the new patch is out. I put the game start date in January 2010 with transfers off, and first thing I did was bid for any players whose contracts were expiring. Bid for Ochoa, and not even a day later I got a message saying he'd accepted my contract, I won't need to spend any cash on a keeper next season now. :)