UEFA Champions League 2009/10 Thread

stokeriño

Van Der Sar didn't deserve that. 2-1 isn't the end of the world and I won't be heartbroken if we go out because we have been spoilt with success. I am worried about Rooney missing the Chelsea match, I have faith in Berbatov but Rooney has just been unstoppable this season

Man, I really hope Rooney isn't out for long. If he misses the game on Saturday, I'd be happy to take a draw from it.

I'm also not really worried about the second leg. Out of every team left, Bayern are the ones I fear the least. I cant EVER see them coming to Old Trafford (with us trailing) and us not winning. If we can tear apart Milan, I've got confidence we can do even more to Bayern. Rooney is a huge key, but world class teams aren't built on ONE player, however important Rooney is.

Damn gutted, but we've got to fight on without him. It'll also surely give other strikers (Macheda and Diouf) a chance to make a huge impact with the massive games we have over the next few weeks. It's worrying, but a great time to once again prove we don't rely on just one player.

• Like 1

A month would be pretty much the whole season including the second leg, Chelsea, Blackburn, City and Spurs. I think we can cope with Berbatov up front as long as he actually stays there and not drifting off like he does so well. All of Rooney's goals have come from the box because there's always been so much supply to him from Valencia, Nani, Giggs, Berbatov etc. Their contributions often go unappreciated because Rooney gets the final touch and grabs the headline, but part of the reason he gets the goals is because he doesn't need to drop back so often like he used to do (or still does for England). Diouf and Macheda are still raw talents and I can only see them coming in as substitutes as this point of the season. Berbatov up top with Park behind to do the running, Valencia and Nani to cross the ball in with Fletcher and Scholes/Carrick behind should be good enough to get some crucial points. I will be seriously worried if we lose a midfielder and/or Berbatov now though. These are some huge matches coming up and there is little opportunity or resources for heavy rotation at this point.

Edited by Dynamite
  • Like 1

Man, I really hope Rooney isn't out for long. If he misses the game on Saturday, I'd be happy to take a draw from it.

I'm also not really worried about the second leg. Out of every team left, Bayern are the ones I fear the least. I cant EVER see them coming to Old Trafford (with us trailing) and us not winning. If we can tear apart Milan, I've got confidence we can do even more to Bayern. Rooney is a huge key, but world class teams aren't built on ONE player, however important Rooney is.

I wouldn't be so arrogant. Whilst their goals weren't quality they overran us the entire 2nd half and we are going to be without our talisman while they have Robben and Schweinsteiger back. We dominated Milan cause their aging midfield couldn't keep up with the energy that Park and Fletcher bought to the team...Bayern will be able to keep up and it's going to be tough but hopefully we can do it

• Like 1

Fuck. Fucking fuck.

That is all.

Rooney is a huge key, but world class teams aren't built on ONE player, however important Rooney is.

Sure, but do you really think Berbatov has the ability and the fire in him to score the decisive goals like Rooney has done all season long? When he feels like it, he can be dangerous in terms of neat trickery and whatnot, but you can't even compare him (or any other Man United forward at the moment) with Rooney in terms of the nack for scoring important goals.

Edited by Shelty92

You can't compare anyone in the world - with the exceptions of Ronaldo and Messi - with being able to score important goals like Rooney currently is. Berbatov has it in him to score the goals to help Man Utd towards the title though, but the rest will need to chip in as much as possible too.

And everyone can write off Bayern Munich as much as they like, they're still a difficult and efficient (I love using that word when describing Germans) team. And they have the experience of winning this trophy the most times out of everyone left in the competition too.

• Like 1

Fuck. Fucking fuck.

That is all.

Sure, but do you really think Berbatov has the ability and the fire in him to score the decisive goals like Rooney has done all season long? When he feels like it, he can be dangerous in terms of neat trickery and whatnot, but you can't even compare him (or any other Man United forward at the moment) with Rooney in terms of the nack for scoring important goals.

Losing Rooney is a blow but Berbatov is more than capable of filling his spot. Look at Berbatov's two against Bolton and compare them to the majority of Rooney's goals and you'll see how similar they were. I personally am delighted we have a replacement as capable as Berbatov. Look at how other teams have struggled without their talisman this year because they didn't have a good enough back-up. Berbatov has the ability to play for pretty much any team in Europe and brings a whole lot more to our game than just goals. He can keep possession longer than any player in our team, he has the best first-touch in the team and has been brilliant at bringing the midfield and wingers into the game through his vision, passing and clever touches. He's got 5 in his last 6 starts so he's going to be in a confident mood and I'm positive that he'll add to that in the coming weeks.