Your musical spectrum?

Liam

So I nicked this off of Channel 4's teletext music thingy, but put as simply as possible, from your collection (CD, MP3, whatever), what two records/songs sit at the furthest ends of your musical spectrum?

If that makes any sense. So you could be a someone who owns Britney Spears 1st record, as well as Darkthrone's 'Goatlord Tapes', and so on, and so forth.

I need a think, so will post mine later.

Edited by Jushin 'Thunder' Liam

I have a S Club 7 album, but I don't think I've ever really listened to it fully, even then. But of music that I actually listen to from John Cena's album and De La Soul's "3 Feet High..." to Between the Buried and Me I guess.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I can't pick just two endpoints, so here's a few:

Arrogant Worms

The Clancy Brothers

Dream Theater

Freezepop

The New Vibes Jazz Quartet

Serge Gainsbourg

System Of A Down

I can't pick two, because there's no way that would encompass all of my music taste, only a very small part of it. I like KSE, Justin Timberlake, Weird Al, Dre, Beatles, lots of death metal, Horse the Band, Sinatra, Cash, Garth Brooks, Reba, Korn, early Limb Bizkit, Will Smith, Katy Perry, Britney Spears, NIN, and that's a small portion. Don't even get me started on Classical music, that would be a long and varied list as well.

I'm just of the mindset that I will give anything a few chances to listen to before I dismiss it, and that there are great artists in every genre as well as some mind-numbingly bad ones.

I'm not sure, I've got some pretty off the wall stuff. Obviously a lot of punk and metal shit, heavy rock like that. But at the same time I have a bunch of Irish folk, stuff like Dead Can Dance (which you could say is world music), hip hop, and other junk.

I have stuff like Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds" which is some incredibly good story telling and great musically, and I also have some of G.G. Allin's most rotten, shitty sounding music that has absurd lyrics, poor recording quality, and cringe worthy music.

I can't pick two, because there's no way that would encompass all of my music taste, only a very small part of it.

I was thinking about this, as well as when Hammy posted something else like this, but basically, think of the spectrum of music you like as a kite or diamond, rather than a straight line, because clearly that makes no sense for anyone to think of it like that. At the end of the day, you are still going to have one or two records at the very ends of what you generally like, or that at least sit fairly oppositely to other releases you also own.

Anyway, as for mine....I'd probably go with Beach Boys 'Pet Sounds' (60's pop) to probably Pig Destroyer 'Terrifyer' (00's grind), as between age and genre, they are probably about as opposite as my tastes get.

Edited by Jushin 'Thunder' Liam

Well, the last 3 CD's I've bought are;

Rise Against: Bought Sufferer and the Witness/Siren Song together.

Taylor Swift: Fearless. Wonderful album, by the way.

Needtobreathe: The Outsiders. Also wonderful, but NTB are probably my favourite band, so I would say that.

Heavy rock to country to christian rock. All quite different.

If we're just giving single song examples everyone's musical spectrum would be pretty wide ranging. Even the most casual fans I know that generally just listen to whatever's on the radio have a couple of bizarre songs on their mp3 player.

I'll try this for a few categories. Just because something's non-commercial doesn't mean that it doesn't have a commercially friendly. Like, with the earlier person who mentioned Gorgoroth - their sound isn't at all friendly but they're a fairly well known band - mainly due to their frontman's extracurricular exploits but my point still stands. Conversely - there's a lot of very commercial sounding bands that can count their fans on their collective fingers. I find this quite often because wussy twee music is something I listen to a lot - and it is something I can imagine having mainstream popularity with the right advertising and improved production. It has plenty of catchy melodies, quite often a cheerful vibe and usually non-confrontational lyrics.

I'm talking shite here. I just needed something to do while I finish my drink. >_>

Anyway, due to what I typed about I'll go for a couple of different spectrums -

Commercial to non-commercial - I have Michael Jackson's Thriller album, and sales figures show you don't get anymore commercial than that. I've also got a bunch of Madonna albums plus Beatles and and other stuff that sold millions. In a more modern context I've got Lily Allen and Calvin Harris plus anything that's been on a Now compilation recently. As for non-commercial - probably my own music given that like 20 people have listened to it. >_>

"Mainstream sound" - Anything that I put down for commercial I suppose. Although probably stuff from the Now compilations as they feature the most mainstream of today's music. Non-mainstream - any scary metal band - most of which are actually too scary for me. Maybe Gorgoroth again or any of those other fancy dress church burning loonies. Or experimental Jazz - which is possibly a lot less mainstream because I've come across many a fanatical follower of black metal but comparitively few lovers of experimental jazz. Or that might just be because experimental jazz fans aren't as loud and irritating as metal fans. :P

Old to new - Probably madrigals from the Renaissance period. Or if you're looking for oldest recordings I've probably got the odd jazz or blues track from the 1910s or 20s. As for newest - stuff like the Mountain Goats which hasn't even been released yet.