Pro Evolution Soccer 2010

King Ellis

So, the demo for PES2010 is out now and I assume that a few of us will want to talk about it. No thread to be found so I guess i'll start it.

I saw some screens a few months ago and they had me interested. Mainly because Master League seems to have had an overhaul including real money (!), coaches, sponsorships etc etc. I will be interested to see how the gameplay fares, I was not a fan of 09 and ended up selling it, a very rare occurance for me. One of the big additions this year is a 'card' system. Not entirely sure how it works, I think it's to do with individual players and their styles. I can't be bothered to read up on it. :shifty:

Speaking of the players, they too seem to have had a face lift. Mind you, it's normally the case with PES that the top players look semi-real but everyone else looks virtually the same. These are some examples from Liverpool and Barca:

pro-evolution-soccer.jpg

My demo is downloading, I guess i'll make some comments later on.

It plays alright, looks fucking great. It's reminiscient of the older PES games, which is nice. I've really got to get some time down with it, though, to give it a fair critique. I still love the shooting mechanics.

The one thing I don't like so far is the special moves being mapped to the D-pad. It's just fucking awkward. FIFA 10's right analog/left trigger/L2 combo works a lot better.

Anyway, I dunno if it's better than FIFA. Right now, FIFA has the edge for me, but at least so far PES is definitely better than it was last year, weird control scheme aside.

He's at Liverpool, yes. Liverpool and Barca are in the demo with France, Germany, Spain and Italy (I think).

This game seems very bright. Maybe they've been fiddiling with the bloom setting. The main menu looks horrible too, don't care for the tactics section either. The match day thing looks nice though.

It feels weird playing Pro Evo again after the last one i had was 2008 because the online annoyed the crap out of me and i thought Fifa 09 was alot better than Pro Evo 2009... The players look better and it's slightly better than Pro Evo 2008 but i think and it saddens me to say this but i still think Fifa is better in terms of graphics and gameplay but that's my view others will like it others won't. Nutmegged Valdes with Torres that made me smile but i prefer Fifas passing it feels more smoother and feels like the game flows. I like the shooting but Keepers i think needs improvin. Valdes ain't dived for any shots i've had

It feels weird playing Pro Evo again after the last one i had was 2008 because the online annoyed the crap out of me and i thought Fifa 09 was alot better than Pro Evo 2009.

I'm in the same position.

Okay, done downloading and the menu's look like crap. Only being able to choose Liverpool and Barca and some countries is a bit lame and feels rushed. Immediately I noticed how crappy they've rated the players, for example Daniel Alves is 83, Yaya Toure is 78 and Abidal is 73, all three were starting players for the team that won the CL! The presentation before a game is nice, Zlatan is a bit overdone and I find it REALLY lazy that Alonso is still at Liverpool after almost 2 months, what the hell?

Ugh, it looks a bit cartoonish. The gameplay isn't really bad but nothing special either. I don't know what difficulty it's on (they never asked), but I could easily run down the whole right side with Alves without anyone even coming close, same with dribbling around the middle line; nobody put me under pressure. At the 45th minute I gathered the ball with Zlatan and only had to run to the goal and beat the GK and guess what....the referee stopped for the break :mellow: The 360 dribble seems to have been done better by FIFA. All in all, I prefer FIFA in basically all aspects right now and I think PES is kinda screwed because they're going to look like copycats now with the 360 dribbling, the referee approaching you after you made a bad foul etc...

Edited by The Quasi Juice

The ref approaching you was done in Pro Evo before Fifa but i think Pro Evo hasn't made a significant improvement over the past few games as it just feels like 08 to me they need to do something revolutionary in gameplaying terms to overcome Fifa as they'll never beat EA in the graphics department and presentation but i think i will be getting Fifa 10 over PES 10

So, they're basically re-releasing last years game with better graphics and a worse menu system? I think that for the first time in many years, it'll be FIFA getting my money this year. It's got a fair few flaws, but it seems like the developers have taken much more of a genuine effort to improve their game this year.

Whoo just scored a nice scrambled goal with Camoranesi (spelling). Awesome lofted throughball, lovely cross, great head, well saved, bundled in. Beautiful.

Playing as Italy feels a lot better than as Barca strangely.

Whoo 2-0 after another amazing through ball. Spain defending very high up and Italy counter attacking really well.

Torres looks just like a school girl - so great graphics.

Gattuso looks like a total psycho when he smiles - perfect.

Pirlo looks like an old man.

Buffon wearng a funky headband.

Yeah graphics are good, nice to see passes with the outside of the foot.

3-0 Toni through on goal, slotted it past advancing Casillas. Replaying it back, the run, steadying himself and the controlled kicking motion looked and felt just right.

Crowd are going crazy.

4-0 gravel faced Di Natele strokes one in after a pinpoint ball from Di Rossi.

Basically I love the through ball. The last few years the through balls have tended to go a bit astray but each time so far in "10" they've gone exactly where I meant for them to go and where the player was running to. This is an improvement and flows really well.

Ball collision detection seems spot on too. In the past it has sometimes felt a bit floaty and in slow motion the player never touches the ball. In this every shot has seen the ball sink onto the guy's foot before he hits it. Nice. Feels really weighty.

5-0 Camoranesi is the king of bundled in scrambles.

Nice sun effects glaring across one goal.

De Rossi sent off...bit harsh....But I was playing to foul to see how the fouling was handled this time around...Still harshly it seems.

Anyway game over, I'll be getting it. Barcelona felt wrong and sloppy, Italy felt perfect. Like the good old days. No delay with them, good pacing, basically I'm impressed. Can't wait to get the full game. Hopefully Become A Legend mode'll be just as fun but with more options this time around...

The graphics look great based off those pictures, but I don't think I trust PES enough anymore to give me anything new other than an updated game of what they've always been doing. When they came out I loved it so much more than FIFA, but then I got to 2009 - got a 360 with PES and couldn't really get into it, accidentally broke it so picked up FIFA instead and loved it. I'd played it before I got my 360 anyways but was willing to give PES another go - not this year I don't think. Not sure I'll even try the demo, I'm enjoying FIFA 10 so I don't see the need anymore.

Basically I love the through ball. The last few years the through balls have tended to go a bit astray but each time so far in "10" they've gone exactly where I meant for them to go and where the player was running to. This is an improvement and flows really well.

Ball collision detection seems spot on too. In the past it has sometimes felt a bit floaty and in slow motion the player never touches the ball. In this every shot has seen the ball sink onto the guy's foot before he hits it. Nice. Feels really weighty.

This.

I can't really understand all the hate for this.

I passed a high through ball on Ibra, and saw the ball getting an extra push when it was getting close to Zlatan, so i initially thought it was the same as 08, with the ball just responded if it was near a player, but after the goal, in the replay i noticed Ibra touching it with his head just slightly so the ball would drop better in front of him.

The way players collect the ball is really good, no weird shots, just touch the ball and getting it before their stronger foot, nice touch.

Graphics are amazing.

First goal as Barça; High trough ball from Henry on Messi, is saw the keeper rushing out a bit, in mid-air L1+Shoot, poor keeper never had a chance, magical goal.

Achievments (and presumably Trophies) are out:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/pes-2010/achievements/

To summarise, 9/10ths are the exact same as 09. 9/10ths of which were the exact same as 08.

Terrible.

• 3 weeks later...

I should be testing the online for this tonight, so I'll report back on how it goes.

I've heard they've gone back to the way the servers were for PES 6, which was apparently a lot better than the 2008/2009 versions of the game.

Edited by Baddar D