Excellent Time Consuming/Addictive Games?

Right so,

I'm picking up a second job so I have lots of cash on me when I run off to Uni in January. Unfortunately that means 3 nights a week I'm working 12 hour shifts as a security guard. The plus is there's only 1 entrance to the place and I've been told that I can do whatever I want so long as I stay awake. So I'm bringing my trusty lappy with me to help pass the time.

What are some excellent games at passing time? Something either wildly addictive or a good interesting time sink?

Thanks.

Yeah I second EU3.

I started playing it, kinda realized I wasn't doing too much because straying too far outside accepted "status quo" brings a lot of hatred from the countries around you.....

Then realized that it was five hours later and that it's ridiculously easy to lose long periods of time despite not really "doing" much....

Theme Hospital is deceivingly addictive. I can go months without playing it or even thinking about it, then I go through a few weeks of it being all I play. Championship Manager 01/02 is just arrogantly addictive though, I enjoy playing that more than the later versions.

I would've said Football Manager by a long shot, that game is seriously addictive. Like, dangerously so.

But since that's not an option, other games that have eaten away my free time in the past are Colonization (and Civ I guess, but I always preferred the former), any of the old-school X-COM games or Rollercoaster Tycoon. Depends what sort of games or settings you like to be honest, those are all strategy based but have different styles to them.

Never played it myself and I'm not sure if you have, but if you're a hockey fan then Eastside Hockey Manager sounds like it could be an FM-equivalent for you. There's a demo.

http://www.sigames.com/downloads.php?type=game&id=24

Peggle, or any PopCap game for that matter.

Or, if you don't want to look like a bored housewife but still want that timeless 'match x amount of couloured shapes' gameplay mixed with some tough, manly RPG action: Puzzle Quest.