Dragon Age: Origins

apsham

I just picked this game up, I'm playing a Human noble and my character is going with the Rogue class. It feels like it's off to a slow start both gameplay wise as well as storyline wise. It's only early so I'm not going to hold anything against the game, but is there anyway to make battle feel more active and exciting? All I'm doing is the same attack over and over and over right now.

Man. Human Noble. Fuck that. If I worked in a shop that sells games, I'd make sure to mention to everyone that buys a copy not to start with the Human Noble storyline.

Gameplay gets more interesting once you've gotten a party and some more moves, which happens after the first hour or two, but that's pretty much all there is too it. It can get quite intense in some fights though and some of the boss battles are pretty awesome.

Okay, I hope I'm not the only person who has run into this hurdle. I'm stuck in the Fade that the Sloth Demon sends you to and have no Flasks to make new Health Poultices. Things are looking great. >_<

It's gonna be a fun few days getting through all this. Once I get a certain party member back I'm sure I'll be in good shape though.

Edited by damshow

Okay, I hope I'm not the only person who has run into this hurdle. I'm stuck in the Fade that the Sloth Demon sends you to and have no Flasks to make new Health Poultices. Things are looking great. >_<

It's gonna be a fun few days getting through all this. Once I get a certain party member back I'm sure I'll be in good shape though.

You could just drop the difficulty setting until you stock up on poultices again.

You could just drop the difficulty setting until you stock up on poultices again.

Shhhhhhh! Don't suggest such an easy way out.

In the end that's probably what I'll do though, I can't physically beat this one battle without dying. Too many enemies.

Once I got to the boss in The Fade, I had to permanently drop the difficulty down to easy on my first play through. The game was ridiculously hard for me when I first started playing. Got through it on normal the second time around, but I have no idea how people play on insane.

In the end I managed to miraculously go through. Fighting the final boss was not easy, but I just kept using the Litany and had my healer only heal. I'm going with a Rogue, Two-Handed Sword War, Templar, and Healer party right now, don't see a huge reason to change anything up. The Two-Handed Sword Warrior absorbs most of the damage, and what he doesn't take goes to the Templar. It's early and I won't go look up the ability names as I'm about to go into work, but I set both of their tactics to use abilities to draw enemies towards them. This allows my Rogue to backstab. I only run into trouble when the healer gets stunned.

Next playthrough I will obviously change this up, my party right now winds up making the game easier than it should be. The Fade was hard while it was just my main, but Spirit's Regeneration helped me survive most battles in the end.

Still, it was a long task to get through the whole thing.

I'm loving this game by the way, can't wait to finish it and grab the expansion. What's the deal with the DLC though. Does a lot of it come included with the expansion or are they trying to make as poor as possible?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I loved it to bits. I can't wait for the second game. Though I loved Origins to bits and didn't even realise that people didn't like it until I heard the complaints on here. The fights feel more fluid, the stuff I liked from the first game is still there. The only downside is the voice acting doesn't seem to be as strong as the first game, but that was always going to be a problem when your character can talk and they had the challenge of following up on Alistair and Morrigan.

Personally I'm hoping I can change the voice and that's about my only complaint. Anyone else think Hawke just looks like he should speak like Sean Connery? "Dragons yuh say? I didn't even bring my sword..."

What did you guys play as in the demo? I started with a male warrior for some reason, despite it being fairly boring in the first game. The mage gameplay was pretty fun from what I tried though. (Though, that mostly came from Hawke being knocked out and me taking control of his sister)

• Like 1

I honestly thought the combat was awkward and played more like Dynasty Warriors than Dragon Age. Of course, the first bit was intentionally misleading but playing as a rogue was a mess (fucking cable guy interrupted me on Tuesday so I'm going to try it again as a warrior). Like, it's to the point where I'm heavily considering canceling my preorder and picking up New Vegas instead since I can't really buy two new games pre-Spring Quarter and the King of Trios trip.

I realized that during the demo....I forgot almost everything about the first game.

But yes, the battles...that is the one thing I brought up with Eddie, they look so much better now.

I remembered most of the important stuff, but I was having some problems remembering what city was which and so on. They seemed to be running from Ostagar, but when Flemyth appeared and was all like "LOL THE GREY WARDENS ARE A BIT OUT OF THE WAY" I couldn't for the life of me figure out where they were going, because surely the entirety of the Grey Wardens were back at Ostagar? :P

I honestly thought the combat was awkward and played more like Dynasty Warriors than Dragon Age. Of course, the first bit was intentionally misleading but playing as a rogue was a mess (fucking cable guy interrupted me on Tuesday so I'm going to try it again as a warrior). Like, it's to the point where I'm heavily considering canceling my preorder and picking up New Vegas instead since I can't really buy two new games pre-Spring Quarter and the King of Trios trip.

You don't have New Vegas yet?

You should get New Vegas.

Yeah, if you're not totally enthused about the game, I would probably get New Vegas before Dragon Age 2. Then you could pick up DA2 when it's a bit cheaper or you have the funds to buy it.

On the combat, I do like it better than the first, though it really does remind me of Dynasty Warriors a bit(I remember saying to Ruki that it's a bit hacky and slashy.) That said, there is an option to make the combat turn-based if you want, or at least that's what a developer or someone said.