Christmas Films

GA!

I need your help. Yes, YOU!

To get into the Christmas spirit, I am having a unique advent calender this year. Instead of cardboard doors and chocolate, it will be a hat and the names of 24 films. I will draw out a film each day from December 1st until the 24th and watch said film.

So I need, with your help, to compile a list of 24 Christmas films. The only film on my list so far is 'Santa with Muscles', because it took such an effort to obtain it I can't skip that. Even though it's apparently one of the worst films ever made...

Get recommending...

Christmas Evil (aka You Better Watch Out) is an excellent, utter mindfuck of an experience, with possibly the best ending in cinema history. I love it so.

Also, Hogan in Santa With Muscles has nothing on Bill Goldberg's wonderful performance in Santa's Slay. An unsung cinema classic, my friend.

Edited by The Rated-R Superstar

Off the top of my head:

The fan-dabi-dozi Escape - not particularly Christmassy in subject, but the damn film is always on over the Christmas period.

Bad Santa - bit lewder than most, but Billy Bob Thornton makes it worth a look.

Can't believe "A Christmas Carol" (the one with Patrick Stewart) hasn't been mentioned yet - of course, the Muppets version is exactly the same, but Stewart is just downright stellar in it.

The Grinch - Bit hit-and-miss, but Jim Carrey just pulls it over the finish line.

And, of course, there's It's a Wonderful Life - the quintessential Christmas movie about suicide. Trust me, it's genuinely better than it sounds.

EDIT: Alas, the word filter rears it's ugly, yet fucking funny, head.

Edited by badotori

Oh, "Bad Santa" is a fun one if you like Billy Bob Thornton.

And there's "Black Christmas" too to add a bit of horror to the mix. I say horror, it's not exactly scary, but does include Lacey Chabert, so all is good.

EDIT: Damn you, badotori. And lol, The fan-dabi-dozi Escape.

Edited by Baddar

Oh, "Bad Santa" is a fun one if you like Billy Bob Thornton.

And there's "Black Christmas" too to add a bit of horror to the mix. I say horror, it's not exactly scary, but does include Lacey Chabert, so all is good.

EDIT: Damn you, badotori.

Actually, there are at least one thousand different Christmas-related horror flicks. The original Black Christmas is good, but there is certainly something to be said for the ones that really take the Christmas motif and absolutely run with it.

I do something similar to what GA is wanting to do, every year. As I'm a big horror fan, I've ran across an insane amount of Christmas-themed horror films that are sometimes part of my own Christmas Countdown. Christmas Evil, Santa's Slay, all five Silent Night, Deadly Night flicks, Jack Frost 1-2, To All A Good Night, Don't Open 'Till Christmas, Silent Night Bloody Night, Santa Claws, Elves. Those are just a few I can think of off hand, haha.

Of those flicks, I already recommended Christmas Evil and Santa's Slay. Jack Frost and Silent Night, Deadly Night 1 are also REALLY fun watches. But, I tend to enjoy Kitsch.

Every year while I was a kid they'd show one of the original Star Wars trilogy on Christmas Eve. It was brilliant - roundd to my nan and grandad's with the cousins and an early evening of Star Wars. Beautiful.

Also About A Boy, Love Actually, Home Alone 1 and 2, Great Escape, Sound of Music, Jingle all the Way, Miracle on 34th(?!) Street, Scrooged, Christmas Carol (muppets)....