Killing in the Name (Of Christmas)

Dingle

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8415750.stm - Morello talks to the BBC.

I like how Cowell now thinks he's "saved us" and we should be "thankful" to him for killing the Christmas race. Sure we did have the odd Mr. Blobby and Bob the Builder some years, but if anything it kind of adds to the charts by the simple fact that it's not the boring, monotonous ritual of the Cowelloke foregone conclusion, singing a ballad like cover song in a manner which saps it of any emotion that it may've once had and replaces it with fake sentiment.

He also says something about it being "The Millenium Prayer each year, and I just don't like that song." And what about the millions of people who don't like your songs? Or any other song for that matter?

Also reckons that BGT and X-Factor have got people interested in music again and buying records. What once/twice a year? And maybe a little spike for Easter, Mothers Day or Valentines Day, or if some one dies. The rest of year, its the people who like the "niche" markets like rap or metal or indie that are buying the albums, seeing the shows or just discovering new music as a whole.

That Joe kid though seems incredibly bland though, to be fair though most of them did. He also hasn't heard the RATM song. <_<

Edited by TheModernWay

I don't know about anyone else but, I'm not actually fussed about whether or not Sony make money off it. I'ts more of a straight forward 'up yours' to Cowell for having the arrogance to pretty much plan and claim the Xmas number 1 each year.

Personally I don't think he gives a shit about the #1 spot.

Scenario 1: Joe McWhatshisface sells 500,000 singles and gets to #1, Cowell takes him % from the 500,000

Scenario 2: Joe McWhatshisface sells 500,000 singles and gets to #2, Cowell takes him % from the 500,000

Or more likely this year, Scenario 3: Joe McWhatshisface sells 550,000 singles (the extra 50,000 will be those who are rebelling against the rebels) and gets to #WhoGivesaFuck, Cowell takes him % from the 550,000

It would be something if the song chosen was a deserving Christmas #1 song like Fairytale in New York or something but by choosing a song that is the antithesis of Christmas all the organisers have done is proven themselves to be contrary for the sake of it.

Also reckons that BGT and X-Factor have got people interested in music again and buying records. What once/twice a year? And maybe a little spike for Easter, Mothers Day or Valentines Day, or if some one dies. The rest of year, its the people who like the "niche" markets like rap or metal or indie that are buying the albums, seeing the shows or just discovering new music as a whole.

Mostly he is talking out of his arse here of course, what it has done is encourage more bad singers that they can make it and spawned an industry of X-Factor style nights round the country. None of which are good things.

You want to know the thing that is driving record buying now? File-sharing and recommendations via youtube, facebook, myspace and P2P, I know so many people who are just more into it now because they can find something they like, as in teh stuff that just DOES NOT make it into the charts.

Edited by hackerjack
  • Like 1

Cowell's interviewed in the next NME, where seemingly they just try to take shots at him and come off as cunts, while he seems like an absolute hero...case in point;

How do you feel about ruining the music industry? (Elly Jackson, aka La Roux):

"Well, look, that's her opinion. What La Roux has to understand is that the music industry isn't dominated by us, or influenced by us for that matter. It's influenced by people who buy records and I believe in democracy."

Eugh...La Roux...you silly fucking tart.

Are you a rock music fan? (from Simon Neil, Biffy Clyro guitarist and singer):

"I went to a very, very small Stranglers gig in this horrific venue and literally everyone was gobbing at each other ... That made me realise this was not for me."

Hahahahaha....what a hero. :D

Also - http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1039434&c=1 ;

The battle for the Christmas number one slot continues to heat up, with Rage Against The Machine’s Killing In The Name extending its lead over Joe McElderry’s The Climb.

According to sales figures from the Official Charts Company yesterday, the American band’s 1993 hit had opened up a lead of about 10% over The Climb, the debut single from X Factor winner McElderry, after two days of sales.

OCC figures today show that Killing In The Name has now extended that lead to around 60%, selling another 92,000 copies yesterday to bring its total for the week so far to more than 175,000.

The Climb has sold around 110,000 copies so far but is expected to receive a massive boost today when the CD single goes on general sale around the country.

While the singles market is now overwhelmingly made up of download sales, X Factor Christmas singles traditionally sell strongly on CD.

And I'd like to point out...worst of all, it appears as though 3Oh3! are making the lunge for #3 spot. :(

Edited by YI
  • Like 2

To be fair;

According to the campaign organisers, Rage Against The Machine's guitarist has pledged proceeds from the track to a UK charity.

"Tom Morello of RATM has said he will donate earnings to Youth Music, a scheme helping young musicians in the UK,"

So it's not all bad. :/

Although I hate RATM, so, yeah. :shifty:

Also, fuck the X-Factor guy...I've had to put up with people saying how fucking brilliant he is, purely because he's from up here...no, his voice is too high, it grates on you, he's nowhere as good a showman as Olly was or singer the bird was...they also apparently made the metro boards say "Well done Joe" on Monday...eugh...fuck off.

I haven't heard this X-Factor winner, or indeed any of the X-Factor contestants this year. However I must state I'm pretty sure he's no Cliff Richard.

Fun Fact:

One of my dad's old work colleagues used to be in a band that brought a young singer in to sing at a show they had. After a mediorce showing one of the band members turned to the young singer and said "you'll never get anywhere singing like that Harry." This Harry Webb became Cliff Richard, I still laugh at it whenever I see this person.

Cliff is also a good egg and signed a picture for this guys retirement as well. I thought it was a very classy move.

Guest Raving Rich

This just in (source - musicweek.co.uk):

Rage still leading running for Christmas number one

10:34 | Thursday December 17, 2009

By Ben Cardew

More than 80,000 CD sales yesterday were not enough to allow Joe McElderry's The Climb to overtake Rage Against The Machine's Killing In the Name at the top of the midweek singles charts.

However,the physical release of the single from the X Factor winner did allow it to cut the LA band's lead at the top of the midweeks to just under 37,000 copies today from around 65,000 yesterday, according to figures from the Official Charts Company.

Killing In The Name has sold around 253,000 copies so far this week, all of them digital. Themajority of The Climb's sales are still digital but this may change with the CD single now widely available.

Many retailers who do not traditionally stock CD singles – including Asda and Tesco – are stocking The Climb on CD.

Thetwo singles are leading one of the closest races in years for the Christmas number one single. A number of bookmakers have now installed Rage Against The Machine as the favourite to top the festive charts.

Edited by Raving Rich

I'm not really keen on either song. But then again, I'm in love with 3OH!3's new version of Startstrukk with Katy Perry. I think the whole thing's quite interesting; it's made the lead-up to the Christmas one pretty damn entertaining - which is a good thing, in my eyes.

Guest Raving Rich

Anyway, the midweek top 8 (source: DigitalSpy.co.uk) is as follows:

1. Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name
  2. Joe McElderry - The Climb
  3. Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
  4. Peter Kay's Animated All Star Band - The Official BBC Children In Need Medley
  5. Robbie Williams - You Know Me
  6. 3OH!3 feat. Katy Perry - Starstrukk
  7. Cheryl Cole feat. Will.I.Am - 3 Words
  8. Journey - Don't Stop Belivin'

Eurgh, this whole thing just annoys me. I keep getting group requests from people that don't give a shit about the charts at any other time, telling me to buy the rage single. Although, i do like the slight irony in everyone being told to buy a single that says 'fuck you, I won't do what you tell me'. If i was going to buy a single to reach the christmas number one it would either be an actual Christmas song, or The Muppett's version of Bohemian Rhapsody, just because it's a more entertaining song than Killing In The Name Of.

I bought it. Hopefully we'll see it at #1. It would be the first Christmas #1 in a long time that I will actually like.

And I'm in the group of people who just want to see RATM at the top of the charts for a laugh. Hopefully we have something like this every year now. I was getting really tired of the X Factor/whatever it was winner immediately going to Christmas #1 with a shit song that they didn't actually write.

• Like 1

Oh, that's right, because buying one from almost 15 years ago REALLY rectifies this present "injustice", doesn't it? Yes. THIS is the best solution to the "curse" of the X Factor. Well done, everybody.

Sorry. I'm caring about this a lot more than I should but this campaign is so mind-fuckingly stupid.

• Like 2

There's a portion of this "let's get rage to number one" group because they apparently hate that ever since Xfactor and the like started the christmas number one has just been manufactured rubbish, almost as if it didn't happen before anyway.

1996 Spice Girls "2 Become 1"

1997 Spice Girls "Too Much"

1998 Spice Girls "Goodbye"

1999 Westlife "I Have A Dream" / "Seasons in the Sun"

Edited by regia
  • Like 1

To be fair "2 Become 1" was the last good Christmas number 1...actually, I could push at Girls Aloud. Nowhere near their best tune, but "Sound Of The Underground" is alright.

You're back to Queen and Pet Shop Boys before that. :/

Edited by YI