Friday Night Lights

Hellfire

I really haven't seen anyone on here talking about this show so I thought I'd bring it up. The current season is on Direct TV at the moment, then is switching over to basic cable sometime during the summer but if you have any way of catching this, I'd really suggest it. This season has been the second best so far, just barely behind season 1, which is amazing since they've been slowly bringing in a whole new group of kids and moving away from some fan favorites.

Anyways, I just wanted to make this post after the absolute soul crushing episode last week, which sort of continued its run into this week. In my opinion, there are few shows that are as well written and bring you through the roller coaster of emotions as much as FNL.

Yeah, the guy that directed the movie (Peter Berg), created the series. They're both based on the book by the same name.

And yeah, I love the show. Haven't gotten a chance to see the last few episodes because we don't have DirecTV and I haven't bothered looking into other means since I have a ton of other stuff to catch up on still.

This season has just been heartbreaking. Great show, and I think they've done an extremely good job maintaining the tone of the show while changing so much, but it can be hard to watch at times.

It has really been a tough season. Easily the best since the first and I think I like this group of kids more than any previous. I was starting to really like Matt so it was tough to lose him but I think Vince has become one of the most compelling characters in the show's history. Plus we still have Riggins.

It moved to DirecTV on the 101 Network. I think they're going to replay the episodes during the summer on NBC. I wholeheartedly agree with you guys, this season has been the best since the first and I can't wait for the season finale next week.

Yeah, they've worked out a unique deal with DirecTV, they get to show it first, then it airs on NBC at a later date. Although with Jay Leno's show being canceled, I think we'll see FNL on NBC sooner than the summer.

And only one more season after this one, right?

DirecTV signed on for 2 seasons, so yes next season is supposed to be the last on DirecTV. I'm not sure if they're going to move back to NBC completely or if the series will end. I'm hoping for the former, but I think I read somewhere that NBC wasn't happy with the ratings and that's why they agreed to "loan" the show to DirecTV. I really hope this gets a couple of more seasons, pretty much all of the new cast are freshmen and sophomores on the show, so there's still plenty of potential to this.

Just finished watching the finale, such a good way to end it. I'll throw everything in spoilers just in case.

Matt returning was a very nice surprise, he's my favorite character and I really didn't want to see him leave the show by getting cussed out by Julie on the phone in his tiny room in Chicago. Landry winning the game was perfect, and the Landy/Matt combo being back together is great as well. I hope they're back next season in Chicago, in fact there are so many characters that I'd enjoy watching in a spinoff show. Riggins going to jail sucks but I saw that coming as soon as they started the chop shop and it really solidified the growth in his character from the first season until now.

I read somewhere that next season may be the last one. I seriously hope that isn't the case. I'd really like to see this continue onwards because it's definitely one of the best shows on TV.

• 8 months later...

Well Friday Night Lights is back on, so I figured I'd bring my thread back from the dead because I can't be the only one with DirectTV can I? (Theres another FNL thread floating around but that was for the season that aired on basic cable so I left that for whoever isn't watching now.) Watching the second episode as we speak so I can't comment on that yet but it is nice to see this back and I'm already bummed out that this is going to be the last season but hopefully we'll get a good one.

I don't have DirectTV but you know where this is going so I'll spare the dog and pony show.

This last season is going to be epic, The first 3 episodes have really laid down the groundwork for the rest of the season - Yeah it may have a character that no one likes or a storyline that's been done to death but it's still better than most shows on TV - But we got a good 5 seasons so I can't complain too much - Although I don't know what I'm going to do without it.

Episode 3 has been the best so far IMO - Tinker is the man.

• 2 months later...