The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

He's not an every down back, and I doubt he'll be able to run it up the gut or even off-tackle. He's not Chris Johnson, and the people comparing him to CJ are being unrealistic, delusional and are going to be disappointed with him. That's doesn't make him a bad player, just in the way Reggie Bush isn't a bad player, but you shouldn't expect him to be anything more than what he is - a great change-of-pace RB with versatility in how he can (and will be) used.

It would have been much easier if you'd had said "correct, I have no clue about CJ Spiller."

how exactly is he not like Johnson ? They're identical in size and Johnson is like a half step faster. Either way they both run sub 4.3 40's ... what isn't to compare ?

And having watched Spiller over his college career, yes ... he can run up the gut and off tackle. In fact, he ran off tackle very effectively.

If all it took for a RB to run for over 2,000 yards is a 4.3 40, then we'd have quite a bit more 2,000 yard runners in the history of the NFL, wouldn't we? He doesn't have Johnson's elite ability to re-direct and accelerate in a single, fluid motion without losing any speed whatsoever, and with his frame, he will not be able to run it up the gut or off-tackle consistently without getting fucked up at the next level (and especially in the AFC East). Again, you're being utterly unrealistic if you honestly think you just drafted the next Chris Johnson - guys like him and Barry Sanders are so special and so rare for a reason - it takes more than just straight line speed to do what they do. Again, none of this makes CJ a bad player because he isn't, but you need to lay off the kool-aid a bit.

boo I did not want Clausen, I would of liked McCoy as a Panther but Clausen ain't gonna do shit here.

I don't want to get into another argument about Clausen's potential, but please, explain yourself here. Please. Pretty please?

I hear that Tim Tebow can cure many afflictions, including vampirism, with his tears. Maybe Al should look into that.

Help from a stinkin' Bronco? Pfffft! (Un)death before dishonor, amirite?!

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Raiders might have the best defense in the AFC West next year.

And really, Powerhart? Just when I thought you couldn't get any lamer, you bust out one of those IP banner things? I was just about to give you props for the avatar, too.

Not only that, but it's inaccurate too. (N)

Haha, Mile High Messiah.

I hope South Park does a Tebow ep. sooner rather than later.

I thought of this almost immediately after I saw Tebow with the Denver cap, glad I wasn't the only one. If Trey & Matt gave it to Cutler like they did I absolutely can't WAIT for Tebow.

Any Bears fans on the board? I know secondary was an issue, but what's the word on Major Wright?

Carolina seriously gave up a 2nd round next year to the Patriots so they could draft a QB from Appaclachian State at 89 this year? Patriots now have 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders next year.

I hope the guy is worth it, or thought they were stealing something from the Pats (who were at 90 also). At least for their sake anyway.

But, I won't complain about an extra second.

Carolina seriously gave up a 2nd round next year to the Patriots so they could draft a QB from Appaclachian State at 89 this year? Patriots now have 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders next year.

I hope the guy is worth it, or thought they were stealing something from the Pats (who were at 90 also). At least for their sake anyway.

But, I won't complain about an extra second.

NFL Network on a scale of 10 rated that pick a 5. Their rating system is based on value according to the draft board of their NFL analysts/draft experts

If all it took for a RB to run for over 2,000 yards is a 4.3 40, then we'd have quite a bit more 2,000 yard runners in the history of the NFL, wouldn't we? He doesn't have Johnson's elite ability to re-direct and accelerate in a single, fluid motion without losing any speed whatsoever, and with his frame, he will not be able to run it up the gut or off-tackle consistently without getting fucked up at the next level (and especially in the AFC East). Again, you're being utterly unrealistic if you honestly think you just drafted the next Chris Johnson - guys like him and Barry Sanders are so special and so rare for a reason - it takes more than just straight line speed to do what they do. Again, none of this makes CJ a bad player because he isn't, but you need to lay off the kool-aid a bit.

Proof positive that you haven't seen Spiller outside of highlight packeges on Sportscenter.

What pray tell is it that Johnson has that Spiller doesn't ? With the exact same build and speed, how is it that Johnson was able to go off tackle but you say Spiller won't be able too ?

Simply because you say he doesn't have this "elite ability" doesn't mean it isn't there. I don't have to tell you that he does, because the proof is in the video of him doing it. That is something you've either never seen or are just simply pretending doesn't exist.

Spiller can cut on a dime and accelerate to top speed in three steps. He runs strong and is able to make moves at top speed without slowing down. He also exhibits better vision than Johnson as well.

This one video package shows him doing everything you are trying to say that he can't:

Spiller showing you that you're making shit up

Edited by HailtotheKing

Proof positive that you haven't seen Spiller outside of highlight packeges on Sportscenter.

What pray tell is it that Johnson has that Spiller doesn't ? With the exact same build and speed, how is it that Johnson was able to go off tackle but you say Spiller won't be able too ?

Simply because you say he doesn't have this "elite ability" doesn't mean it isn't there. I don't have to tell you that he does, because the proof is in the video of him doing it. That is something you've either never seen or are just simply pretending doesn't exist.

Spiller can cut on a dime and accelerate to top speed in three steps. He runs strong and is able to make moves at top speed without slowing down. He also exhibits better vision than Johnson as well.

This one video package shows him doing everything you are trying to say that he can't:

Spiller showing you that you're making shit up

Judging players, especially players at the skill positions via highlights is an absolutely terrible way of evaluatiing a player.

Is CJ Spiller a great player? Yes. But is he elite on the level of Chris Johnson? No. Hell, he isn't even as stupidly-explosive-and-fast as Jahvid Best. Even FO's metrics agree with what I'm saying, and what I saw on TV. Now, stats don't always tell the the full story, but the correlation between what I am saying and what they show clearly is more than just a coincidence.

He's a great player and a playmaker, but just don't do the mistake New Orleans fans did a few years back when they drafted Reggie Bush and think he's more than what he really is.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Judging players, especially players at the skill positions via highlights is an absolutely terrible way of evaluatiing a player.

Is CJ Spiller a great player? Yes. But is he elite on the level of Chris Johnson? No. Hell, he isn't even as stupidly-explosive-and-fast as Jahvid Best. Even FO's metrics agree with what I'm saying, and what I saw on TV. Now, stats don't always tell the the full story, but the correlation between what I am saying and what they show clearly is more than just a coincidence.

He's a great player and a playmaker, but just don't do the mistake New Orleans fans did a few years back when they drafted Reggie Bush and think he's more than what he really is.

You must have missed the point where I stated that I watched the guy in college. Being a Florida State fan, an ACC fan, and living in ACC territory has allowed me to witness his last two years. I saw 8/9 of the guys games each of the last two years. I didn't judge anything by a highlight reel. All that was, was a compilation of him doing the exact things you said he couldn't. I didn't evaluate him by a highlight film but rather by watching about 20 of his games. What did you see on TV that wasn't on Sportscenter ?

And uh, this FO Metric crap ? Really ? How do you go from yanking on me with the "40's don't mean shit otherwise there'd by a bunch more 2000yd backs" to pulling that crap ? You're right stats don't tell the full story but it's idiotic NOT to say that the kid doesn't line up with Johnson. He's the exact same build and only a half step slower. Hell, even their college performance is scarily similar. They both have exceptional speed, agility, vision, and "playmaker" ability. Spiller was even given credit for his blocking efforts (something Johnson wasn't noted for). If you look at film of both guys in college they look like the same back. Making the comparison isn't idiotic or a stretch even ... it's the only person Spiller lines up with.

Of course, I asked what it was that Johnson had/has that Spiller didn't ... and didn't get an answer. Spiller has every tool (and actually a couple more) that Johnson had coming out of school. That's fact.

But unless you can actually bring something to the discussion instead of re-stating the same sentences over and over ... we're done.

God, is ESPN really *that* in love with Jimmy Clausen and Colt McCoy? Every 'blog' on their site that mentions the Raiders is all about how they should have picked one of them.

Fuckin' a, ESPN, neither of them are better than Gradkowski, and I'd still rather have Jason Campbell.

I really think Gradkowski is fine and they are better off with him for now. Jason Campbell though... I can't see starting anywhere again anytime soon. he might be OK with a more competent Coach than Jim "I have no idea what I'm doing" Zorn.