The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

That's something I didn't even know was going on, and it of course is sad news to hear. Putting rivalries aside, Bill Cowher comes across as one of the nicer and more genuine guys in the NFL. Of equal importance, he seemed to have fun when he was coaching. I feel even worse for his three daughters.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm a major Steelers hater, but I like his work an analyst and he's one of my top choices to be a future Cowboys coach if he ever returns to coaching.

R.I.P. Mrs Cowher. :(

damshow nailed it. Millen built the ENTIRE team, from picks to FA. He's put together the worst team over an 8 year period ever, regardless of whoever he took in round 1. It just looks even worse when most of those 1st round picks are gone/busts but it was his overall failure that is why he doesn't get any respect... which he doesn't really deserve. It's the NFL, rebuilding is not impossible and repeatedly finishing low (Which Detroit did) should result in some players that aren't shit.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans are suing Southern California and coach Lane Kiffin for "maliciously" luring away assistant running backs coach Kennedy Pola a week before training camp opens.

Tennessee Football Inc., the company that owns the Titans, filed the lawsuit Monday in Davidson County Chancery Court against both the university and Kiffin.

The lawsuit accuses Southern California and Kiffin of violating Pola's contract that required him to have written permission to discuss a job with anyone other than the Titans.

Kuharsky: Titans Defend Turf

Kuharsky Jeff Fisher's stinging comments about Lane Kiffin's lack of professionalism in luring Kennedy Pola away from the Tennessee Titans' staff were only a first step in the team's discontent, writes Paul Kuharsky. Blog

• Blog network: AFC South | NFL Nation

Tennessee hired Pola as running backs coach in February only to lose him Saturday to Southern California as the Trojans' new offensive coordinator and running backs coach.

"USC and Kiffin maliciously intended to -- and did -- induce Pola to breach the Pola contract," the lawsuit charges.

"USC and Kiffin engaged in improper means in their procurement of the breach and were not legally justified in their actions. Kiffin and USC's actions, through him, were part of a course and pattern of conduct fostered by Kiffin and USC to use improper methods and means to the direct harm and damage of parties to contracts ..."

The Titans declined to comment Monday beyond the lawsuit.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher, a Southern California alumnus, said Saturday that Kiffin neglected to make the customary courtesy phone call to let him and the NFL team know he was interested in hiring Pola. Fisher himself had hired Pola, letting go Earnest Byner to free up the spot on his coaching staff.

Pola's contract ran at least to Feb. 14, 2011, with the NFL in the final year of its current labor agreement with the players.

The lawsuit lawsuit notes that written permission from the president and general counsel was needed because verbal "consent is inadequate." The lawsuit also notes Southern California and Kiffin, through Pola, knew about his contract requirements.

"Pola was not given express written consent by Tennessee Football or the Commissioner of the NFL to entertain employment with any other entity," the lawsuit argues.

The move left the Titans without a running backs coach one week before training camp opens, which the lawsuit argues disrupts planning, causes "potential loss of confidence by players" and the loss of salary and benefits already paid to Pola along with "future damage."

The lawsuit is particularly harsh on Kiffin for what it calls intentional actions. Kiffin said he first spoke to Pola on Friday, and then called Fisher on Saturday after Pola called him back, apparently to accept the job.

Kiffin acknowledged in a statement that timing wasn't perfect.

"I have spoken with Coach Fisher and he now has an accurate understanding of the timeline of events," Kiffin said. "We realize the timing of this isn't perfect for all parties, but this is a great opportunity and promotion for Kennedy."

Fisher told The Tennessean newspaper he was very disappointed in Kiffin's lack of professionalism. The lawsuit doesn't hold back in criticizing Kiffin for "furtherance of a culture of violation and avoidance of respect for the sanctity of contract, which Kiffin similarly practices ..." in inducing Pola to breach his contract.

The lawsuit notes Kiffin "abruptly departed" his coaching job at the University of Tennessee in January after just 14 months, which angered Volunteers' fans. Kiffin also lured four other Tennessee coaches to join him at Southern California, and the lawsuit also notes how Kiffin tried to hire Eric Bienemy away from NFL's Vikings, forcing Minnesota to redo his contract to keep the assistant.

The lawsuit asks for a jury trial and punitive damages and attorneys fees.

The Tennessean first reported the lawsuit on its website.

Ya know, I was on Kiffins side after the whole Al Davis incident...but ever since his hiring at Tennessee, its become obvious how much of a douchebag he is

I'm not defending Kiffin (though I think his hate goes overboard sometimes especially when it comes to leaving Tennessee. I mean, he even told the AD when he got the job that if the USC job became open for whatever reason that he would want to take it and having the opportunity to have your dream job is something everybody would've gone after.) but suing him is a bit much, no? I mean, I get it; you lost your RBs Coach but just move on already. Fisher already publicly criticized him for it and the court of public opinion is a lot harsher than any lawsuit will achieve (just ask Kiffin). Not to mention that they're not holding the guy that actually left accountable for anything when it was his decision. Sure, Kiffin should've handled it better and in a different way but don't put all the blame on him when he's not the one that left (in this case, at least). Also, part of me wonders if the lawsuit is just a publicity stunt to sell more tickets to bitter Volunteers fans.

He's the kind of person collegiate sports really doesn't need. He really is just of poor character. I really don't like judging people's personalities in sports as I feel like the media can really twist things but Kiffin is probably my most disliked sports figure.

Hate to break it to you but he's not the first of his kind and he won't be the last. Hell, I would imagine a majority of the collegiate coaches are just as bad, if not worse in some cases.

Pola's contract required him to have written permission to discuss a job with anyone other than the Titans. Kiffin and Pola both went against that contract. That's why there are problems. It's clearly wrong I don't understand where you're coming from.

And I know he's not the only one, but that doesn't change my statement at all.

I'm coming from the idea that they're placing all the blame on Kiffin and USC when Pola's the one that actually left and at any time, he could've notified the Titans that he was going to leave. Again, I'm not saying that Kiffin couldn't have handled it better but suing him just seems like a frivolous, bitter act. I just don't see what the lawsuit will really accomplish.

I'm coming from the idea that they're placing all the blame on Kiffin and USC when Pola's the one that actually left and at any time, he could've notified the Titans that he was going to leave. Again, I'm not saying that Kiffin couldn't have handled it better but suing him just seems like a frivolous, bitter act. I just don't see what the lawsuit will really accomplish.

USC has a new AD who's a loyal Trojan legend, and is on record as giving Kiffin a pretty tepid vote of approval. Maybe I'm a cynic, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it ever came out that Pat Haden, if not complicit in this lawsuit, is at the very least not disgruntled about it, because if USC tanks out of the gate, he's got a great reason to fire Kiffin for cause and bring in a coach of his own choosing.

As for what the lawsuit will accomplish...it'll put the nails in Lane Kiffin's coaching career if he can't keep USC winning 10+ per season. Eventually, people will stop deciding that his tepid win-loss record would be worth all the ethical bullshit that he'll force a program and its fans to put up with.

And RIP Jack Tatum. His hit paralyzed Darryl Stingley two days before I was born. He was one of the original safeties that scared people over the middle.

TO's headed to Cincinnati.

The saddest people on Earth right now are the producers of Hard Knocks. Bengals were last season, and this year's subject (da Jets) didn't finish a TO signing.

Bengals fans' sadness will come later, surely.

Rams, Bradford agree to terms

ST. LOUIS (AP)—No. 1 overall draft pick Sam Bradford(notes) has agreed to a six-year, $78 million contract with the St. Louis Rams, with $50 million in guaranteed money.

The inevitable lockout is going to be vicious.

$50 million guaranteed.

To a guy who in the Sooners' first game of the 2009 season suffered a 3rd degree AC joint sprain one play after becoming Oklahoma's all-time passing leader. He was originally scheduled to return in about three to six weeks, but head coach Stoops initially refused to either confirm or deny that timetable. After missing three weeks, he returned to the field during the Baylor game. He then re-injured his right shoulder on October 17, 2009 in the Red River Rivalry against Texas on the second drive of the game. He would undergo season-ending shoulder surgery.

Let that soak in.

• Like 1