The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

Like I said, move the goal posts. I love how can't/won't address the actual statements. That's fucking awesome. It's also the sign of a guy that's completely full of shit.

In Ben's time in the league, the Steelers have finished 11th or better in rushing 5 times .... 3 times they were 5th or better.

What have I not addressed?

What Bubble ? I went by his actual performance in ALL THE GAMES he's stepped in for Ben for. You took one game. The sample size I've taken is much more telling than yours.

Since when in the history of ever has one game been the measure of someone's ability ?

You can take any kind of sample you want. But like I said in the last post, there's no way a 36-year-old injury prone QB holds up an entire season with the Steelers' offensive line and does well enough to get them in the playoffs. No fucking way. Period.

I hate to burst your bubble Chase, but so do I and about a million other people. What, because you're a fan of the team that means you watching them means more than anyone else watching them ? I've been extra aware the last 3 years as I've lived here in Maryland. I was at the debacle of a game here in Landover when there were more Terrible Towls in attendance than Skins fans. I've seen them play in Baltimore twice since I've been here.

The Steelers might be fine with Leftwich, but they actually have been fine with Batch. One is speculation, one is fact.

Again, that was THREE YEARS AGO. Since then Batch has aged 3 years (obviously) and suffered two season ending injuries. The guy cannot stay healthy.

Even when he played for the Steelers before it was for a game or two at a time. He's never had to be a starter for weeks at a time. Which is good because the guy isn't good enough to be a starter in the league anymore.

If the Steelers coaches thought Batch was good enough to win games in Ben's absence they wouldn't have been about to cut the guy prior to both Leftwich and Dixon getting injured.

Since the New England Patriots coaching squad is managing the AFC team, my guess is Matt Cassel was selected because A. Rivers and Manning probably opted out and B. Cassel has experience working with the coaches. It's kind-of Ironic but given who's coaching the team, it makes perfect sense.

I may actually watch the Pro-Bowl this year given all the hype they have given to the "most mic'ed players and coaches than ever before" and all that jazz. If only they made it mean something in the long-run. If only they made it mean something in the long run.

Edited by Universal

If I recall the AFC selections were initially Brady, Manning, and Rivers. And I thought the loser of Steelers-Jets is coaching the AFC squad? Unless I've missed some subtle mid-season rule change, which under Goodell is entirely plausible.

And if the Cowboys trade Dez Bryant I'd honestly feel bad for their fans. Ridiculous rumors, they can't possibly be true.

If I recall the AFC selections were initially Brady, Manning, and Rivers. And I thought the loser of Steelers-Jets is coaching the AFC squad? Unless I've missed some subtle mid-season rule change, which under Goodell is entirely plausible.

And if the Cowboys trade Dez Bryant I'd honestly feel bad for their fans. Ridiculous rumors, they can't possibly be true.

Rule was changed last year I believe when they moved the Pro Bowl to the Bye Week. Team with best record that gets eliminated during the divisional round now handles the coaching.

I thought this might be interesting with the debate earlier about quarterbacks being carried by their teams to victory: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=8470

Top five of the "Rivers Index" (Actual playoff wins - expected playoff wins based on QB performance) of the last decade

Player 		        Gms 	Won 	ExWins 	Diff

Tom Brady 		18	13	10.42	2.58

Ben Roethlisberger      11	9	6.54	2.46

Brad Johnson 		4	3	1.95	1.05

Joe Flacco 		7	4	2.95	1.05

Mark Sanchez 		5	4	3.09	0.91
And the bottom five...
Matt Hasselbeck 	11 	5 	6.30 	-1.30

Chad Pennington 	6 	2 	3.35 	-1.35

Peyton Manning 	        17 	9 	10.39 	-1.39

Brett Favre 	        10 	4 	5.45 	-1.45

Philip Rivers 	        7 	3 	4.58 	-1.58

Another interesting stat is that if Mark Sanchez wins on Sunday, he'll have the most road playoff wins EVER for any QB (5). That's a shocking stat considering it's only his 2nd year in the NFL and he kinda sucks. Joe Flacco is also currently on 4 too, after just 3 years in the league

Another interesting stat is that if Mark Sanchez wins on Sunday, he'll have the most road playoff wins EVER for any QB (5). That's a shocking stat considering it's only his 2nd year in the NFL and he kinda sucks. Joe Flacco is also currently on 4 too, after just 3 years in the league

The reason these two "big time winners" lead the league is because we're playing in the age of parity, where home field means almost nothing. The # 1 seed rarely lost their first game during the dynasty eras of the '70s, '80s and '90s, but it's now happened SEVEN times in the last 6 postseasons (Steelers d. Colts in '05, Pats d. Chargers in '06, Giants d. Cowboys in '07, both 1 seeds lost in '08, and both 1 seeds lost this year)

http://www.sportsjourney.com/2011/01/2010-nfl-playoffs-divisional-round-preview/

EDIT: "Since the league went to 12 playoff teams in 1990, — gave the top two seeds in each conference first-round byes — the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds are 60-20 (.750) in their first playoff game. However since 2005, the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds are just 10-10 (.500) in the divisional playoff round."

So the teams with byes went 50-10 between '90-'05, and have gone 10-10 since.

Edited by naiwf