The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

Can't believe Larry Fitzgerald is replacing Jennings in the Pro Bowl and Hakeem Nicks isn't. Biased or not on my behalf, the stats say Nicks. The only stats Fitzgerald has over him are receptions and yards, both marginal and that's only because Nicks missed 3 games. Typical of the Pro Bowl really, reputation over performance.

It's an all-star game, it's not about merit badges or statistics, it's about hype. It's even more of a popularity contest than the Presidential Election.

They are mirror images of each other except the Steelers can run on Green Bay. I can't see the Packers being able to run on the Steelers.

The Packers front seven doesn't match up well with the Steelers offense because their weakness is at inside linebacker.

The fact that the Packers offense is one-dimensional hurts as well.

Wait, what ? Have you not paid attention to anyone but Pittsburgh at all in the playoffs ?

There's this guy named Starks who has completely brought the Pack ground game to life. He's only leading the playoffs in rush yards. He and the Pack have done that against the #2 and #10 rush defenses in the NFL this year ... on the road. Green Bay has also run better than Pittsburgh in the playoffs, against top rushing defenses (yeah I know, only one game for Pitt). The Packers aren't one dimensional as it stands right now.

While the Pack might be weak at MLB, doesn't the Pitt Line suck ? Seems like that'd be a wash yeah ? Even then, the interior line of the Pack certainly isn't a weakness for them and neither is their OLB play. So this crap O-Line is good now ?

1. No one runs on the Steelers.

2. The Steelers offensive line can run block. Their best offensive lineman is their center, and if he's not hurt he'll be able to get to the second level and eliminate the Packers MLBs.

3. The Packers don't match up well with the Steelers. I don't care what anyone says, the Bears match up against Pittsburgh better. The Steelers offensive line traditionally does extremely well against 34 fronts because they see it every day in practice. Especially this 34 defense. Dom Capers runs the 34 zone defense circa 1994.

I'm not saying this is an easy win for the Steelers. Green Bay is good, really good. But the experience, intangibles, and match ups favor the Steelers. The Packers could easily win the game, that's for sure. If the Steelers don't play perfect any advantages they may have go out the window.

Ike Taylor can't slip and fall when covering a deep route, if Doug Legursky plays center he can't screw up the snap, Mendenhall can't drop a pass that hits him in the hands. Those mistakes may not hurt against the Jets but against Green Bay it will kill you. I am concerned about this game, regardless of how well the Steelers match up against the Packers.

Edited by Evil Chase K

I don't think the Steelers do that well against 34 fronts, especially when guys are coming in from the outside. The big advantage the Packers have is with their CBs, and since Roethlisberger will likely need that extra second to get the ball out there's going to be a lot of scrambling. If he can break out from the line of scrimmage he'll eat up the Packers LBs all day though. There's no question there. B.J. Raji is going to be the difference maker in this game.

In all honesty, it doesn't really favor us what so ever. We've been piss poor at times in our last two games. Dreadful in the first against the Ravens and even worst in the second against the Jets. It doesn't matter who it favors, if we even come close to showing a half performance like either of those, we'll likely be shut down by the Packers.

Personally I think it's evenly matched and I don't really feel anything favors us in a massive way. I'm hoping we turn up and give one hell of a performance throughout the entire game rather than just one half, in which case it should certainly be a hard fought battle and likely close as hell.

I don't think the Steelers do that well against 34 fronts, especially when guys are coming in from the outside. The big advantage the Packers have is with their CBs, and since Roethlisberger will likely need that extra second to get the ball out there's going to be a lot of scrambling. If he can break out from the line of scrimmage he'll eat up the Packers LBs all day though. There's no question there. B.J. Raji is going to be the difference maker in this game.

You don't pressure Ben from the edge. You come up the middle at him. He eats up corner blitzes because no corner in the league is big enough to tackle him on the first try.

In 2008, every game the Steelers lost was to 43 defenses. They are much, much, much, much better against 34 fronts.

In all honesty, it doesn't really favor us what so ever. We've been piss poor at times in our last two games. Dreadful in the first against the Ravens and even worst in the second against the Jets. It doesn't matter who it favors, if we even come close to showing a half performance like either of those, we'll likely be shut down by the Packers.

The Ravens offense couldn't score on the Steelers unless they had a short field. It was a fluke play where everyone on the Steelers quit that gave the Ravens a big lead.

Personally I think it's evenly matched and I don't really feel anything favors us in a massive way. I'm hoping we turn up and give one hell of a performance throughout the entire game rather than just one half, in which case it should certainly be a hard fought battle and likely close as hell.

If you've been a Steelers fan for more than 15 minutes you'd know that that's how the Steelers do things. For some reason they always make things harder than they need to be. It's never easy with this team.

You don't pressure Ben from the edge. You come up the middle at him. He eats up corner blitzes because no corner in the league is big enough to tackle him on the first try.

In 2008, every game the Steelers lost was to 43 defenses. They are much, much, much, much better against 34 fronts.

I'm not saying they aren't better against 34 fronts, I'm saying that the success they have had this year against 34 fronts isn't the same as it has been. The Ravens play a 34 and always pressure Ben (until the game is on the line with a 3rd & 19 and they decide not to) and get to him on most plays. The strength of the Packers secondary is going to make it harder for Ben to win it with his arm and he'll have to scramble... a lot. As I said, I can see him eating up Green Bay if he gets into the open field but the strength of guys like Raji is going to make that a challenge. Clay Matthews is a big threat too when he comes in on a blitz through the middle.

And it was a high ankle sprain for Pouncey, making it possible he can play in the Super Bowl. Sprains are always touch-and-go because some guys heal faster than others.

Naiwf or any other NYC area EWBers, ever try to get on the WFAN Super Bowl trivia contest?

I've never tried to get through, mainly because it's a lot of work trying to compile all of the answers to the questions. Unless you're a SB trivia junkie it makes no sense to even try until Thursday or Friday of the week , because by then you'll at least have a shot at knowing 1 or 2 of the 4 questions you might get asked ahead of time.

Naiwf or any other NYC area EWBers, ever try to get on the WFAN Super Bowl trivia contest?

I've never tried to get through, mainly because it's a lot of work trying to compile all of the answers to the questions. Unless you're a SB trivia junkie it makes no sense to even try until Thursday or Friday of the week , because by then you'll at least have a shot at knowing 1 or 2 of the 4 questions you might get asked ahead of time.

Are you familiar with MikeFrancesa.com? They usually put together a cheat sheet. I haven't tried getting on either mainly because I don't have the patience to keep redialing the number over and over again but the prize is definitely worth it if you have the patience. If they have multiple trips to give later in the week at some point I might give it a shot this year.

Clay Matthews is certainly big enough, strong enough, and fast enough to come at Ben from outside as opposed to just up the middle. While they are suspect in pass coverage, the Packers LB corp is good enough to make things hard on Ben with the blitz packages. They don't have to rely on the CB blitz to get pressure off the edges. The Packer D is built a hell of a lot like the Ravens D, which just so happens to be the one that gives them the most issues year in and year out.

Wait, 2008 ? Seriously ? After all the shit you have given me about bringing up historical reasoning/facts in our discussion you say that ? Screw off man. Really, how can you tell me, and I quote, "the past doesn't matter" and then give some bullshit line about 2008 ?

The Ravens offense couldn't score on the Steelers unless they had a short field. It was a fluke play where everyone on the Steelers quit that gave the Ravens a big lead.

Yes, because the Packer's offense is anywhere near as dreadful as the Raven's offense. No.

... I don't care what anyone says.

That's not a valid argument, point, or anything else. Also, nobody ran on the Bears either, except for the Packers ...

HTTK, why are you bothering? You're obviously wrong about whatever point you're making, because it doesn't end with expressing how great the Steelers are. It's also possible that any point you make expressing how great the Steelers are is wrong, because you may not be properly expressing how great they are.

• Like 4

3 of their 4 loses this year where against teams that run either primarily or a variation of the 3-4. We're not talking about 2008...we're talking about 2010..

• Like 2

I think I saw Cutler talking to Hanie too, but when he first got taken out I think he was more worried about trying to convince the doctors/Lovie to let him back in the game, hence why he was up walking around and on the bike. If you're quitting (like so many people suggested) why would you be up and on the leg trying to get it loose?

Oh, and as for all of these guys saying that Cutler isn't tough and criticizing him, they can fuck off. Cutler led the league in sacks this year with 52, Flacco was second with 40 and Flacco played an entire game more then Cutler. This year Cutler got sacked 4 times a game, Vick was second with 3 a game (in 11 games), McNabb was third at 2.8 a game. Cutler obviously isn't someone who can't take a hit and get back up but all I've heard from the people around here and read online that unless they are Bears fans they think Cutler chickened out.

I was really wondering how many QB hits and hurries Cutler had this year too but couldn't find it anywhere, can anyone help me out with a link?

As for the Super Bowl, this is my take on it. Both teams have a great defense, Pittsburgh has a stronger front 7 but the Packers have a better secondary. I think the keys are that the Steelers can probably stop the run with their front 7 and not have to bring an extra defender into the box which is a big deal against the Packers and that passing attack. I'm thinking that if the Steelers stick to the run they'll be able to wear out the Packers, their linebackers like to get upfield on the QB and will certainly be looking to get to Big Ben but Mendenhall is big guy who is tough to bring down. If they can run some on the Packers and with the talent they have, I look for the Steelers to pull out a win. Heath Miller is my guess for the biggest Pittsburgh pass catcher too. Even if the Packers get up on the Steelers, they've let teams hang around all year and if it's close, I think Big Ben will be the difference maker.

• Like 1

There's no doubt in my mind that Cutler's physically tough. One of my favorite plays from last season was the Cutler-copter against the Lions.

It's his mental toughness I worry about. When the going gets tough his face becomes even more miserable than usual and his body language is terrible.

Earlier one someone pointed out the fact that, against the Redskins, Cutler threw four INTs to the same guy as a sign of mental toughness. To me that shows weakness, not strength. Part of mental toughness is realizing when something isn't working and getting away from it.

Having said that Cutler is young, and with all we traded for him it'd be a stupid move to ditch him now. Another season or two with an improved o-line and wide receiving core, plus Mike Martz's guidance and Cutler could still become a very good QB. He just needs to realize that he has potential and not that his potential has been realized.

• Like 1

Nothing says meathead more than throwing another pass at the guy who picked you off three times already. Are we sure we should be debating whether he's mentally tough and not simply ask if he's mentally still alive?

Yeah, I don't like the idea he kept throwing at Hall, but I'd also hate for him to ignore one side of the field if he's thrown a couple picks. I think the biggest thing he needs is some stability in an offensive coordinator. How many different ones has he had since he entered the league?

Yeah, I don't like the idea he kept throwing at Hall, but I'd also hate for him to ignore one side of the field if he's thrown a couple picks. I think the biggest thing he needs is some stability in an offensive coordinator. How many different ones has he had since he entered the league?

Rick Dennison was the Broncos Coordinator from 2006-2009, then Ron Turner was the Bears coordinator in 2009, then Mike Martz this year.

Cutler's definitely physically tough. He played 2007 with undiagnosed type II diabetes and lost 30 pounds during the season.

Not exactly the most outgoing guy, that's fine. Not completely mentally tough? Ok.

The thing that gets me is that he just looks like he doesn't care at all. Dude wouldn't survive 1 season in Philly or New York.

But none of this would be an issue if the PR/coaching/medical/whoever makes that decision had just kept him in the locker room when they pulled him from the game. Then Fox wouldn't be able to show apathetic Jay sitting on the sideline with his blank stare all game, and it would be a dead issue at this point, being that he is legitimately injured.