Surprisingly amazing albums

RPS

Which albums did you think were going to be completely and utterly awful but yet somehow managed to be amazing?

I'm gonna go with Miike Snow, which I'm currently obsessed with. I never even listened to a song they put out, because all the early press made it seem like they were a complete novelty band. Dumb band name, weird origins, and a poor marketing strategy (really, focused way too much on them being Kylie & Britney producers). When I finally got around to listening to the band, it's fucking breath-taking. Some of these songs are SO fucking good. It's addicting.

That sounds like it rings a bell. I might have read that they are somewhere.

EDIT: according to Wiki The name Miike Snow is said to have come from one of their friends called Mike Snow with the spelling of Miike coming from the Japanese film director Takashi Miike.'

Edited by Liam

Press made Miike Snow seem like a novelty band? Really? Might be different in different places I guess, but over here everyone was on their dick as amazing (which they are).

"Love" by Angels & Airwaves wins this thread, at least as far as recent albums go.

• 3 weeks later...

Press made Miike Snow seem like a novelty band? Really? Might be different in different places I guess, but over here everyone was on their dick as amazing (which they are).

"Love" by Angels & Airwaves wins this thread, at least as far as recent albums go.

Totally LOVE blew me out of the water, didn't expect it to be much!

One that I thought would be terrible would be Love/Hate by The-Dream when it came out but it grew on me

Aim & Ignite by fun. immediately comes to mind. I wasn't really a fan of The Format at all (same lead singer), but I gave this a chance because this girl I was chasing really liked it. It completely blew me away and I'm obsessed with it now.

I'm the complete opposite. "Dog Problems" really shocked me and is an awesome album. Fun, I just can't get into at all.

I'll also chalk up "The Family Jewels" by Marina & The Diamonds. Yes, I was expecting a good album, but one of the year's best? Nah, wasn't expecting that.

Edited by YI

Yeah I remember when it just came out at work I was a bit annoyed because I knew that would mean I would have to listen to it all the time. But it wasn't actually so bad. I still hate that only exception one and I do not understand why she might want to bury a castle.

Yeah I remember when it just came out at work I was a bit annoyed because I knew that would mean I would have to listen to it all the time. But it wasn't actually so bad. I still hate that only exception one and I do not understand why she might want to bury a castle.

That does confuse me, I like the sentiment behind the song, but the lyrics, as usual with Paramore, are a touch juvenile and a little off.

FutureSex/LoveSounds by Justin Timberlake. For some stupid reason I thought Justin Timberlake is shit, but after I heard the first few songs off of this album, I immediately realized how wrong I was. FS/LS might just be the best pop album since Michael Jackson's Thriller.

• Like 1