XBox 360 Or PS3

mrmayhem87

What system should I get?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What System Should I Get

First off, I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but It seemed the most fitting.

I have decided to finally bite the bullet and buy a current gen console. With the money I have, I can get either system however, I wanted to ask for a second opinion.

I know that x-box live is a pay service and PSN is free for the most part. However, I have never been much into online gaming and from the view of a college student, I much prefer the 199 price at gamestop for the 360 over the 299 price for the ps3. Furthermore considering I would have to trade in my ps2 and all the games to be able to afford the ps3 and would not have too much left over for games.

However, my second video game console was the Playstation( i started with atari) and I have been a ps guy since then. I would hate to abandon Sony just because Microsoft has a cheaper product and the controller would take some getting used to.

So EWB I ask your opinion. Before the end of the day (Tuesday here in the states) I will have one of the two. What should I get?

I rarely notice any glaring differences.

In your opinion is the enjoyment of playing a game online worth paying an extra $100 for the system even if it means I would be able to afford less games?

Really, that's up to you. Personally -- I don't game online on consoles. When I game online, it's on the PC. If you want to play with friends online, though, the better bet's probably the 360. A year of Gold membership doesn't cost much and I'm willing to guarantee that most of your friends that have a console have a 360.

Also consider if you want to watch hi-def movies as obviously the PS3 is a blu-ray player as well, and a good one at that, so the ps3, while being more expensive initially can save you money at the moment as you wouldn't need to but a seperate blu-ray player.

Also on the note of graphics, PS3 games can (but wont necessarily will) be of a higher defininition, as for example Final Fantasy 13 runs 720p on PS3 and somehwere in the region of 500p on the 360. There is also the argument that with the 360 being a shit ton easier to program for than the PS3, the 360 is starting to reach its limit when it comes to graphical functionality, while apparently developers are still unlocking the potential of the PS3, because its such a bitch to program for (Sony have appartently done this deliberately <_<).

• Like 1

this is probably a stupid question but...............................can people who have ps3's only play online against other ps3 users or can they also play against 360 users?

Never Mind. It was a stupid question.

Edited by mrmayhem87

As far as I know, its exclusive to each console, so if all your friends have 360's, get one so you can play against them. And remember while we will all bring valid points to the table, most of us hug the nuts of one console or the other, so take our advise as being biased (I still try to remain objective about the 360, but I always extole the virtues of the PS3) :shifty:

At the end of the day.. both are good.. even though people here are biased, if they had the chance to play with the other console, odds are they would.

I have both, bu I get a lot more use out of my 360. The online service is much better and it doesn't take an age to install every game you buy. The controller layout is virtually identical to the Dual Shock, so there's not a lot new to get used to. PS3 tends to have cheaper accessories like wireless headsets however, because Microsoft are cunts and won't license third parties to make wireless kit. PS3 is also wireless-capable out of the box, 360 needs an adaptor. 360 has a wider library of games. When people ask this at the shop I work at, I basically tell them it comes down to two things, the exclusives, and whether you're going online with it (in which case, check what your friends have). 360 has stuff like Mass Effect, Halo, Gears of War and Left 4 Dead. PS3 boasts Uncharted, Infamous, Killzone, Heavy Rain etc.

I have both, bu I get a lot more use out of my 360. The online service is much better and it doesn't take an age to install every game you buy. The controller layout is virtually identical to the Dual Shock, so there's not a lot new to get used to. PS3 tends to have cheaper accessories like wireless headsets however, because Microsoft are cunts and won't license third parties to make wireless kit. PS3 is also wireless-capable out of the box, 360 needs an adaptor. 360 has a wider library of games. When people ask this at the shop I work at, I basically tell them it comes down to two things, the exclusives, and whether you're going online with it (in which case, check what your friends have). 360 has stuff like Mass Effect, Halo, Gears of War and Left 4 Dead. PS3 boasts Uncharted, Infamous, Killzone, Heavy Rain etc.

I've had very very few problems with the online service for PS3, pretty much ever. There was that one day where it was down, and Resistance 2 has crapped out on me online about... 5 times total. Every other time I've played online or used online for the store, it's been 100% fine.

I know 360 people like to think there's is the better deal because they're paying for it, but honestly I've played both (more PS3 than 360, but a fair bit of 360 non-the less) and as far as I can tell, neither has any advantage over the other when it comes to online. There are also a fair few more PS3 exclusives than that, Metal Gear Solid 4, FF Versus XIII & Gran Turismo 5 when they come out, Little Big Planet & Resistance 1 & 2 to name a few more. Not to mention with the PS3 you can get all the Playstation 1 Classics, such as MGS1, FFVII & VIII, Crash Bandicoot, Oddworld etc.

I've had very very few problems with the online service for PS3, pretty much ever. There was that one day where it was down, and Resistance 2 has crapped out on me online about... 5 times total. Every other time I've played online or used online for the store, it's been 100% fine.

I know 360 people like to think there's is the better deal because they're paying for it, but honestly I've played both (more PS3 than 360, but a fair bit of 360 non-the less) and as far as I can tell, neither has any advantage other the other when it comes to online. There are also a fair few more PS3 exclusives than that, Metal Gear Solid 4, FF Versus XIII & Gran Turismo 5 when they come out, Little Big Planet & Resistance 1 & 2 to name a few more. Not to mention with the PS3 you can get all the Playstation 1 Classics, such as MGS1, FFVII & VIII, Crash Bandicoot, Oddworld etc.

I will echo the statements of TKz, never had any real issues with the PSN, other than things that are probably more my end than there's... The PSOne classics are awesome, Plus (and I know it doesn't apply to you) with me having the old 60gb I can still play my PS2 games on it :shifty:

PS3, because otherwise you're betting 200 dollars that your Xbox won't die on you, and given it's insanely bad failure rate it's not a safe bet at all.

Now if you WANT a 200 dollar paperweight, by all means get a 360.

• Like 2

I assume they've fixed the issues with the RROD. Obviously the old consoles are going to keep getting them, but a brand new one should be fine, correct me if I'm wrong. That said, unless all your friends are on X-Box Live, or you really want to play L4D or Mass Effect, get the PS3. After you get the wireless adapter and pay for a few months of live, PS3 will be cheaper anyways, and it's superior in every way but price otherwise.

Brand loyalty is dumb though.

I assume they've fixed the issues with the RROD. Obviously the old consoles are going to keep getting them, but a brand new one should be fine, correct me if I'm wrong.

This is like the 4th different time over the course of it's existence this comment has been made in reference to the 360. Just saying. There's also still the issue of the video card brackets melting and the card falling out of place.

Going forward the PS3 offers much more. As has been mentioned:

Free online, cheaper peripherals, wireless ready out of the box. Couple that with the fact that it is an upper end blu-ray player, and the fact that programming has barely scratched the surface of what it can do ... it's the right choice. Microsoft will have to come out with another console to compete with the top end of the PS3. The PS3 has plenty of life moving forward while the 360 can already be dated really.

All this shit about the 360 needs to stop because it's been blown WAY, WAY out of proportion.

But looking at it, it's really down to what you want. Wireless connectivity is key to me, and if you want that on the 360 you'd be paying 100 dollars for the adapter so that equals out..