2010 MLS

HailtotheYo

New names tossed around the transfer rumors:

Brian Jensen (GK - Burnley)

Luca Toni

David Witteveen (ST - Hearts) 6'3 and has a good scoring record. Young too at 25.

Ousmane Dabo (DM - Lazio out of contract) he's 34 but has been all over Seria A, most importantly he understands his "position in the pecking order" know that he wouldn't even be a DP over here.

Philly supposedly going after Marek Mintal.

Philly supposedly looking into Freddy Adu.

Houston might be trying to get Daniel Ludeuna (Santos Laguna) as a DP.

Canadian football fans prepare yourselves, because Robbie Savage may be on his way to new MLS side Vancouver Whitecaps. The Derby captain has admitted that he is weighing up an offer to cross the Atlantic. He said: "The presentation they made to me was brilliant. To be honest, it blew me away. I am fully committed to Derby and seeing out the end of my contract there but Vancouver have asked whether they will release me so I can be ready for the MLS season starting in March."

Interesting ....

Guest Mr. Potato Head

We drafted a goalkeeper!

Also, what kind of league has their draft at noon on a Thursday? Jesus Christ, MLS.

NHL draft used to be a weekday afternoon conference call, if memory serves.

Then Punch Imlach got pissed off at how slow it was and drafted a a made-up Japanese guy.

• Admin
Nottingham Forest hope to effectively complete the signing of USA striker Robbie Findley on Friday.

Boss Billy Davies and chief executive Mark Arthur will represent the Reds at a Football Association hearing as they attempt to secure a work permit.

Findley, 25, agreed the move last month and has been training with Forest.

But to gain a work permit for him, Forest must convince the FA of his potential benefit to the club - both on and off the pitch.

A player will normally automatically qualify for a work permit if he has played in 75% of his country's international fixtures in the previous two years.

Findley, who faced England in this year's World Cup, has played in 11 of the last 12 USA matches but has only recently broken into the side and therefore has not passed the 75% standard.

The pacy forward was a free agent after leaving Real Salt Lake in the MLS and had been on trial with Premier League side Wolves.

So Garber is looking into "rivalry week" now that the PNW triangle of death is complete. Derbys need to be emphasized, glad this is getting looked into.

Kenny Cooper is back ... in Portland and is with the Timbers.

Shouldn't be a big surprise that Findley went to Forest. John Spencer is the brother in law of the coach there. Little 'family' help there.

Edinson Mendez being linked with the league (Ecuadorian, PSV fame)

• Admin
Manchester United legend Eric Cantona has been appointed director of soccer at United States club New York Cosmos.

"It's a wonderful project. It's kind of a mix between football and art," said the 44-year-old, who retired in 1997.

The Cosmos, who included Brazil star Pele in the 70s, folded in 1985 but were relaunched in August by former Tottenham vice-chairman Paul Kemsley.

Cantona's new club aim to play "at the highest level", suggesting an intention to become a Major League Soccer side.

The Cosmos, who won five championships in the now-defunct North American Soccer League between 1972 and 1982, have neither a team nor a stadium at the moment.

But the possibility of the famous outfit becoming MLS's 20th side, and rivalling its only current New York-based team, New York Red Bulls, has been welcomed by the division's commissioner Don Garber.

In a statement announcing his appointment, the Cosmos said Cantona will provide "innovative leadership" and "cutting-edge creativity" as they attempt to attract and develop players.

"The Cosmos are very strong, beautifully made, with a great past," added Cantona.

"I will do everything that I can to help us first find our way to regain the number one position in the United States and then for us to become one of the best clubs in the world over the coming years."

Another former Premier League player, Cobi Jones, who played for Coventry between 1994 and 1995, will work alongside Cantona as associate director of soccer.

Cantona announced his shock retirement 14 years ago at the age of 30, after winning five titles in six years with Manchester United and Leeds.

He was voted the Old Trafford outfit's greatest player in a poll of fans in 2000 and was briefly involved in coaching the club's young players in 2001.

Since leaving professional football he has concentrated on his acting career, appearing in Elizabeth alongside Cate Blanchett in 1998 before being directed by Ken Loach in the 2009 film Looking for Eric.

Known for his outspoken political views, Cantona recently called on the public to withdraw cash from banks in protest at their part in the global financial crisis.

The appeal attracted plenty of headlines but failed to spark a run on financial institutions.

On a side note, former Chelsea, Newcastle, Feyenoord and LA Galaxy boss Ruud Gullit has been appointed head coach of Russian Premier League club Terek Grozny on an 18-month contract.

Nery Castillo gone to Aris .... jeebus that was a waste, good f'n job Chicago.

Faryd Mondragon is in at Philly (confirmed by multiple sources with the club and overseas). Philly rumored to be chasing Carlos Valdez, Jorge Perlaza, Marek Mintal.

SKC are reportedly after Dayro Moreno (Once Caldes, leading scorer in Colombia) ... fuck yeah, this is a guy I'd LOVE to see this guy in the league here. This guy is fucking awesome ... I've seen him both with Once Caldes (thank you GOLTV) and also with Steaua Bucureşti in Euro play. He's a AM/withdrawn striker,he's young 25, has size 5'10, and a very good scoring record (219g - 110gls plus whatever assists he's had). this would be a great signing and is the exact type of guy the league needs to be searching out. his wiki

Aitor Ocio linked to a couple of clubs (NYRB one of them).

Non MLS related: Apparently the Cosmos are serious. They've hired Cobi Jones and Eric Cantona for the front office.

ept_sports_sow_experts-353224526-1295452671.jpg?ym_3JbED8aeRW_fo

A veteran goalkeeper and a rising center back? Uh, yes please. Seitz was an epic flop last year, and the back line needs improvement pretty much everywhere, so this is great for us. Now to let Le Toux and Mwanga to continue raping people!

• Like 1