So, the Nintendo 3DS...

So has everyone heard about the next portable system coming from Nintendo? Set to launch sometime before the end of this fiscal year (which would be next March), it's going to feature 3D without the need to wear glasses, backwards compatibility, and according to various semi-unconfirmed reports, rumble feedback, some form of motion capability, better online, and gamecube level graphics. Oh, and there are also rumors that the next gen of Pokemon games will be a launch title for the system, which would ensure about a bajillion sales in and of itself. Any thoughts?

Sounds ambitious.

Nintendo has a 50/50 track record with ambitious.

The way I look at it is this though: Nintendo first tried motion control with the Power Glove, which was a miserable failure. Then they came out with the Wii, which has been a HUGE success. Nintendo first tried 3D with the Virtual Boy, which was both a miserable failure and potentially hazardous to your health. So I have to think that they're not going to release something like this unless they KNOW they have it right. Yeah it may end up with some gimmicky shit like what happened to the Wii (especially right at first), but the potential is so great that if and when it DOES get done right, then it could be something very special. Plus I just want them to release a Star Fox game for it so that I can play that in 3D. :P

Yeah, what the hell? Without glasses? How is that going to work?

Though 3D Pokemon, if anything like the Gameboy games or Pokemon Stadium, would be fucking sweet. I think this is also the only time I'd ever say that they should be out a Yu-Gi-Oh game for the console. Because it'd make the child in me happier than ever to be able to play Yu-Gi-Oh like on the TV series. wub.gif

Yeah, what the hell? Without glasses? How is that going to work?

Though 3D Pokemon, if anything like the Gameboy games or Pokemon Stadium, would be fucking sweet. I think this is also the only time I'd ever say that they should be out a Yu-Gi-Oh game for the console. Because it'd make the child in me happier than ever to be able to play Yu-Gi-Oh like on the TV series. wub.gif

That would be fuckin' epic. Especially combined with WiFi.

I'm going to be severely disappointed if this isn't the first hologram-based video game console. Severely.

It's a bit silly isn't it? Well, maybe not silly but certainly hypocritical. If I remember right when the PSP Go launched Nintendo execs criticized Sony for releasing too many variations of the same handheld, and now Nintendo's got the DS, DSi, DS Lite, DS XL, and now the 3DS?

It's a bit silly isn't it? Well, maybe not silly but certainly hypocritical. If I remember right when the PSP Go launched Nintendo execs criticized Sony for releasing too many variations of the same handheld, and now Nintendo's got the DS, DSi, DS Lite, DS XL, and now the 3DS?

I believe the 3DS is essentially the DS2, so it's more of a successor than a variation. The Gameboy Advance had the original, SP and Micro variation and the DS has had original, Lite and DSi variations, with the XL basically for old people who can't see the screen, since the whole point of the DS is that it can fit in your pocket. But I'm certainly intrigued by the announcement, certainly looking forward to (hopefully) seeing it at E3.

So far it's just a press release of a few sentences saying that it is in development, will allow 3D without glasses, will be released between April 2010 and March 2011 (doesn't say where, presumably Japan) and the "3DS" is a temporary name. And that they plan to tell us more at E3 I think was in there too.

Here's the video of it. Sadly, no holograms, but by 3-D without the glasses, I assume this isn't horrible.

EDIT: Ahh, nevermind, I didn't have that caption thing on and apparently it isn't the Nintendo 3DSi

Edited by Nevermore_Nightmare

The video I saw of GT5 running in 3D (using the PSEye) as well as the demos (which looked kinda similar to that DS demo but on a big screen and with more depth) looked stunning. Tilting your head to look out of side windows etc of the car is pretty groovy.

• Like 1