Red Ringed First Time Today

the gurn

hey guys, just had my first ever 3 rings of death on xbox 360 elite i had it around 3-4 years, so what im wondering is what console will last the longest before it dies on me again, xbox 360 arcade, xbox 360 elite or a ps3? this has really gutted me as i just got 3 new games for xbox any feedback would be very greatful thanks

• Like 1

I don't think there's any with a particular superior ability to withhold, it's luck of the draw. You hear a lot less PS3 yellow lights than 360 red rings, but from what I've gathered a lot of them (PS3) have happened JUST outside of warranty, whereas 360 seems to red ring more often, but generally after a longer period of time.

• Like 1

If it breaks down again in the near future you normally get a free months of Gold on Xbox and sometimes a crappy game. If you played Xbox alot then get a Elite if you have the money, advantage with the Arcade is it's cheaper and you'll have your old harddrive anyway. Can't really answer for PS3 tho

I;ve had my PS3 for nearly 2 years now and it's still going as strong as the day I got it.

I traded in my 360 the 3rd time it red-ringed so my stance is clear on this. The PS3 isn't indestructible as already mentioned here though.

• Like 3

Yeh the space on the harddrive is less with the arcade and you get games like Uno with it but i'm sure theres like technical stuff thats different not to sure

• Like 1

I have had my 60GB PS3 since about 6 months after the launch, I have had one problem which was the Blu-Ray drive failing but I got it fixed fairly cheaply and have had zero problems with it since, I really like the PS3 and you get the blu-ray ability which is always handy as HD movies are very nice :)

• Like 1

Following onto this, what's the easiest way to get a gamer profile from hard drive to another, and saved games?

Easiest would be USB memory stick. If you get a new unit, you'd have to put your old drive in, back it up to the stick and then put your new drive in and transfer the stuff over. Failing that, there is a transfer kit availible which, I think, costs about £10 from Microsoft. I'm not sure on how it works in various situations. Like, I dunno if you'd be able to transfer like to like (ie 20gb to 20gb, 60 to 60 etc) or if can only transfer from a smaller to a larger drive.

• Like 1

Microsoft is still fixing red rings so why not contact them, ship it off and play the hell out of it when it comes back in a couple of weeks? Happens to people around here all the time and that's the how they deal with it.

Even better...do what I did. Ship off the 360....buy a ps3 to hold you over in the meantime...and when it comes back you'll have both!

Or if you're not that into video games...yeah just ship it back :P

With mine, it's not an elite, but it was freezing up within the first month after I bought it on rare occasion....Then after about 8 months it started to occasionally have a red ring when I turned it on...turning it off and ejecting the disk would fix it. Then after about 5 months of that, it got the fatal red ring and I had to send it back. I had the new one in just under three weeks and haven't had a problem since, not even any freezing and that was over a year ago.

If you can't send it back...what to buy depends a bit on what games/peripherals you already have and what your friends play on. No point in just having a ps3 if you already have a ton of stuff for your xbox360. Personally, as much as I like my ps3, which I do...it's a great system...I actually like my xbox a little better

Following onto this, what's the easiest way to get a gamer profile from hard drive to another, and saved games?

Easiest would be USB memory stick. If you get a new unit, you'd have to put your old drive in, back it up to the stick and then put your new drive in and transfer the stuff over. Failing that, there is a transfer kit availible which, I think, costs about £10 from Microsoft. I'm not sure on how it works in various situations. Like, I dunno if you'd be able to transfer like to like (ie 20gb to 20gb, 60 to 60 etc) or if can only transfer from a smaller to a larger drive.

The old transfer kits were specific, i.e. 20gb to 120gb only. The new ones that come with the 250gb drives will do anything - although I think it'll only transfer from the smaller to the larger, not vice versa (I can't think of why you'd want to, mind).

I'll never understand why people would replace a broken 360 with a PS3 or vice versa. If you own a lot of games, you're basically pissing money away. Maybe if you've already spent money to replace it before and it's out of warranty, I can understand being done with it out of frustration, but a first time Red Ring? It's a rite of passage!

I'd pick up an Arcade unit and just use your Elite hard drive. You can get an Arcade at Gamestop for $199 and it comes with Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and Viva Pinata. Pretty good deal.