2010 College Football Thread

There's 10 spots, seven of which would be given out auto.

Oregon - Pac 10

Auburn - SEC

Wisconsin - Big 10

UConn/W.Va. - Big Least

VaTech/Fla.St - ACC

Oklahoma/Nebraska - Big 12

TCU - undefeated

Stanford should get one of the at-larges, there's no excuse not to. The Big East and ACC won't have two, Boise's now out of the picture, and whoever loses the Big 12 game isn't getting one. That leaves Michigan State or the Suckeyes with one, and probably Arkansas with the other (unless SCar beats Auburn)

This is one of the few years I actually like the BCS, but that's just because I'm from Connecticut and so UConn is the school I root for by default.

Playoffs would be so much more fun. You can even keep it similar to the way it is so that the conference wins mean something (much like in the NFL, nobody from the NFC West deserves to be in the playoffs but hey, they won the division). But you add two extra at-larges. Top 4 conference winners receive byes, and you go from there.

Not sure what to do with all the Bowls though. The smaller bowls could be kept around for the schools that didn't make the playoffs, and I guess the now-BCS bowls could be held as teams get eliminated (ex. the two teams knocked out in the semi-finals meet in the Rose Bowl in what is essentially a 3rd place game).

I dunno. Probably never going to happen.

There's 10 spots, seven of which would be given out auto.

Oregon - Pac 10

Auburn - SEC

Wisconsin - Big 10

UConn/W.Va. - Big Least

VaTech/Fla.St - ACC

Oklahoma/Nebraska - Big 12

TCU - undefeated

Stanford should get one of the at-larges, there's no excuse not to. The Big East and ACC won't have two, Boise's now out of the picture, and whoever loses the Big 12 game isn't getting one. That leaves Michigan State or the Suckeyes with one, and probably Arkansas with the other (unless SCar beats Auburn)

I don't see Arkansas getting it, they've got two losses.

Only way Stanford gets slapped it is 1) - Boise gets an unthinkable at large invite 2) - SC beats Auburn.

Coming into this week, the BCS Top 15:

Oregon - PAC 10 (1)

Auburn - SEC Champ or at Large (2)

TCU - At Large (3)

Boise ST - OUT

LSU - Lost to Ark OUT

Stanford - ?

Wisconsin - Big 10 Champ (4)

Ohio St - ?

Ok St - OUT

Mich St - ?

Alabama - ?

Arkansas - ?

Oklahoma - Big 12 ?

Mizzou - OUT

Nebraska - Big 12 ?

After the "auto QF" you've still got 3 slots to fill. There is absolutely no way that the BCS can push itself seriously and expect people to buy into it if Stanford doesn't go to a BCS Bowl this year. According to their system they should be.

Also, LOL some more at Mark May's bitch ass. He gives a helmet sticker to Nevada's WR. No shit Mark ? You should be on your knees sucking his cock for the favor he did you.

Yeah, Stanford has an auto-bid now. Arkansas is in the top 8 in both polls that matter I assume (they are #8 in the USA Today poll and the AP, don't see it being any different in the Harris poll). As long as Auburn takes care of business the Sugar Bowl will take them, because at this point it's either them or Boise for that replacement spot for Auburn.

At this point, the bowls are set barring USCe pulling it out or an Oregon St. upset

BCS Title Game - Oregon vs Auburn

Rose Bowl - Wisconsin vs TCU

Sugar Bowl - Arkansas/Boise (hard time seeing Boise get picked over Arkansas) vs Ohio State/Stanford

Orange Bowl - FSU/VT vs Stanford/Ohio State

Fiesta Bowl - OU/Nebraska vs UConn/WV/Pitt (we are still talking about the Big East here, when anyone can lay an egg).

If Oregon loses and Auburn wins, switch TCU and Oregon

If Auburn loses and Oregon wins, TCU goes to the BCS title game, Stanford goes to the Rose Bowl (I'm not clear if the rule that puts TCU in the title game will still be in effect for Boise), Auburn goes to the Orange

If both lose, then all hell breaks loose (TCU vs Wisconsin/Stanford for the title, OSU/Wisconsin/Boise vs Oregon in the Rose, Auburn still falls to the Orange, you even have to think that no one drops if the top two lose).

If Auburn loses and Oregon wins, TCU goes to the BCS title game, Stanford goes to the Rose Bowl (I'm not clear if the rule that puts TCU in the title game will still be in effect for Boise), Auburn goes to the Orange

Hmm, that's a good point. I wouldn't think the Rose Bowl would be obligated to take Boise (per the non-AQ rule) since a non-AQ team would already be represented in the BCS title game. Of course, that's all assuming Auburn ends up losing, and Oregon wins.

One more thing that can make the BCS Bowl selection crazy is if WV wins the Big East and VT wins the ACC. I could see the Orange Bowl taking WV just so people can see that rivalry game, and then the door is open for Boise/Nevada to be taken over Stanford (not that much more, but it's a better shot than getting picked for the Orange over Stanford).

If one of the lose, I don't think so. Oregon can't afford a loss at all, and I think the perception that Auburn's DBs blow would knock them down behind one of the two.

Now if both lose, I can see one of them (Auburn more than Oregon) staying in the top 2.

Does anyone think that if Oregon or Auburn LOSE, they would still make the title game - over a Wisconsin or Stanford?

TCU would get in before Wisconsin or Stanford. If Auburn loses a 3pt game to So. Carolina, I could still see them making it over TCU. If Oregon loses, they're dead.

If Auburn loses it is gut check time for the voters. Oregon obviously falls out of contention, but voters can try to justify an Auburn loss and put Oregon at 3 and hot shot Wisconsin to 1. You wait. This is a very possible scenario.

Auburn being the only team to lose could see some real potential for shenanigans too. But both losing and voters could still keep TCU out.

Edited by damshow

BCS Top 10

1. Auburn

2. Oregon

3. TCU

4. Stanford

5. Wisconsin

6. Ohio St.

7. Arkansas

8. Michigan St.

9. Oklahoma

10. LSU

So Stanford gets an auto-bid as well, leaving two more spot open in theory.

and just watching the show, it's clear that TCU is going to get shafted even if Oregon and Auburn lose, and I like Spielman (college he attended nonwithstanding).

What rank is Boise State now?

I'm hoping that Auburn gets into the championship game. See my location and you'll known why I'm not exactly an Auburn fan (except when they're playing Alabama - I'm a fan of anyone playing `Bama), but they got screwed during the 2004 season when they should have been in the championship game instead of Oklahoma (though its moot; I think USC would have beaten them badly, too). So I'd like to see Auburn get a shot at the title.

John Gruden is interested in the Miami job, and CBS Sports is reported the two sides are reaching out to each other to talk about their interest. That would definitely be a huge boost for Miami if they could lure Gruden to The U, but I can't see it happening.