NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

I'm excited about the Leafs going into next season....I think we have like....23 mil in cap space? Enough to sign Richards, a puck moving defenseman, re-sign our RFAs, and even a vet-goalie if we've given up on Gus.

Plus, Colborne has been called up for the very last game of the season. He was skating on a line with Lupel and Kessel...here's hoping we get great things from him!

I'm excited about the Leafs going into next season....I think we have like....23 mil in cap space? Enough to sign Richards, a puck moving defenseman, re-sign our RFAs, and even a vet-goalie if we've given up on Gus.

Plus, Colborne has been called up for the very last game of the season. He was skating on a line with Lupel and Kessel...here's hoping we get great things from him!

The Leafs are in a really good spot right now. Tons of cap space heading into next season, a good core locked up already, and the free agents that they re-sign won't amount to much of a hit in cap space, but they've been great performers for the team and will continue to grow with the group.

I think everyone needs to stay away from Brad Richards though, especially a rebuilding team. Historically, top free agent signings turn out to be busts. Not necessarily bad players, but definitely not worth what they grab on the free agent market. If I'm Brian Burke, I'd rather have a Brendan Morrison centering Kessel and Lupul than overspend on Brad Richards and have it not turn out well. Big contracts handicap teams further down the road, as well, and I think that's something that should be avoided except for when re-signing current players. There are going to be a lot of really good bargains on the free agent market this season, and I think there are better options than Brad Richards.

Guest mr. potato head

Tons of cap space, but nothing to spend it on. Their best bet is to trade for some big contracts and get good prospects with them.

The problem with getting Brad Richards is that New York is going to push hard for him. Our top line is set as MacArthur/Grabbo/Kulemin. The Leafs should add a big #2 center to create room for Kessel and Lupul.

I'm not a fan of the Panthers firing Pete DeBoer. The team didn't do well, but they were always competitive. You cannot turn shit into gold, but DeBoer did a good job with the pieces he was given. I hope he gets another NHL job soon, as an assistant or as a coach.

Guest mr. potato head

From what I saw of him when he was with Kitchener, DeBoer was able to build a dynasty mainly through strong recruiting efforts. Yes he was a good coach, but he always made sure he had tremendous talent to work with. Obviously someone as unproven as him won't start out as an NHL coach-GM, but he certainly needs to work with a GM, not for a GM.

I'll be pretty bummed if TML goes all 1999 and signs the free agent with the biggest price tag just because. Honestly, Richards isn't even my first choice for centers out of Dallas - rather have Ribeiro.

I disagree it'd be 'just because' - how many times have we heard the '#1 CENTRE' clarion call? - but I'm not sure where I stand on Richards. My absolute ideal scenario would be a short-term deal: give him maybe two years at 7+ and evaluate his health and skills then, but that's never going to happen with Glen Sather in charge in New York, disappointingly.

Guest mr. potato head

Montreal fifth in the East.

As the bishop said to the netball team - what-EVER.

Well I was awfully close!

Also went back and looked at our pre-season predictions. Gabriel and I both got 14 of 16 playoff teams, but he had Calgary winning their division so I think I win on tiebreaker. damshow was 11/16. All of our Cup predictions (Vancouver over Washington for me, Pittsburgh over Vancouver for Gabe, Washington over Detroit for damshow) are still possible.

I'll be pretty bummed if TML goes all 1999 and signs the free agent with the biggest price tag just because. Honestly, Richards isn't even my first choice for centers out of Dallas - rather have Ribeiro.

I disagree it'd be 'just because' - how many times have we heard the '#1 CENTRE' clarion call? - but I'm not sure where I stand on Richards. My absolute ideal scenario would be a short-term deal: give him maybe two years at 7+ and evaluate his health and skills then, but that's never going to happen with Glen Sather in charge in New York, disappointingly.

I think it's a myth that the Leafs need a #1 centre. Grabbo is our guy, and will be centering Kulemin and MacArthur next year. What is needed is a centre with size to create space for Lupul and Kessel, and play in front of the net on the powerplay.

Of course, trading for Stastny or signing Richards would help. I just don't think the time is right to make a big, expensive move.

There is nothing Toronto could offer us that is worth Paul Stastny :\

I heard similiar talk about Craig Anderson. Your GM disagreed apparently. -_-

• Like 2

[i disagree it'd be 'just because' - how many times have we heard the '#1 CENTRE' clarion call? - but I'm not sure where I stand on Richards. My absolute ideal scenario would be a short-term deal: give him maybe two years at 7+ and evaluate his health and skills then, but that's never going to happen with Glen Sather in charge in New York, disappointingly.

I just don't see it as all that different or more well-advised than going after Lindros/Nolan/Nieuwendyk/Roberts to provide Sundin with scoring support years ago. The calls were just as loud then if not louder because Toronto could actually lock up a playoff spot at the time. Four players who were individually great but were brought in without a lot of thought as to how they fit with the existing group. None of them ever put Toronto over the hump and that was pre-cap when you could spend whatever your heart desired.

Richards' gifts are almost exclusively offensive, yet people want him centering the line with the most obvious defensive difficulties? In spite of being an exceptional set-up man, he doesn't use much of his size or throw a great deal of hits. A world-class playmaker, certainly, but maybe not cut out for getting a team into the playoffs... oh.

Anyway, playoffs. The West as usual brings the best matchups including a rerun of last years really fun Phoenix/Detroit series. I think Nashville/Anaheim is going to be really fun hockey as well. Three games a night minimum, baby. Bring it on.

For Reals?

Every East series is utterly fascinating. The West offers Crawford Ballin' while Luongo's Bawlin - but that's about it. The matchups aren't great - unless the right teams get through, and then you have some bitchin' semifinals.

I don't want The rangers to spend a ton of money on a ridiculously long contract with Brad Richards, however I feel the rangers are in the top 3 with needing a play-making center. A top center might make the rangers a competitive team in the playoffs. But I fear what the contract is going to be in they sign Richards.