Xbox 360: 250GB

THRASHER

Microsoft kick-started the "next-generation" of gaming on November 22, 2005, when the company released the Xbox 360, beating both Nintendo and Sony to market. Since then, the console has sold roughly 40 million units worldwide and has brought some innovative ideas to the gaming industry in the form of Xbox Live, the online marketplace, and gamer achievements.

The console is not without its shortcomings, though. Most notably, the infamous "red ring of death" controversy has plagued the system since its launch. The defect can be traced to the system's inability to properly dissipate heat, which in turn renders some of the vital innards unusable. Though Microsoft has remained quiet about an exact fail rate percentage, some analysts have that number as high as 40 percent, with recent reports hovering around a

one in four odds of failing within the first two years of ownership. Other complaints vary from lack of built-in Wi-Fi to denying users the ability to replace the hard drive like the PlayStation 3 offers.

At E3 2010,

Microsoft unveiled an Xbox 360 redesigned from the ground up. Officially referred to as the "S" console--or Slim, as we've come to call it--the latest iteration packs a 250GB hard drive, built-in Wi-Fi, and a new design that's about 17 percent smaller than the previous models.

The new Xbox 360 certainly addresses most of the concerns we've had with the versions before it, but we don't think it warrants a purchase if you already own an Xbox 360 in working order with an HDMI-out port and a hard drive.

-CNET Reviews. Read the full review here

Personally, I will be picking this new machine up. Okay, yes there are some obvious reasons why (The HUGE hard drive, silence when running) but that does not mean there aren't any flaws. In the review, it states that the hard drive is still proprietary; controller on D-pad remains unchanged; cumbersome power block; renders existing faceplates useless; no HD gaming out of the box. Which are a number of reasons as to why there is an argument to purchasing this new machine. However, I will be purchasing this console for $450.00 Australian.

Please do not hesitate and give me your thoughts on the new 250GB Xbox 360.

Edited by THRASHER

The only thing that could make me even consider getting a new x-box is if it were able to transfer files from USB to hard-drive. The fact every time I want to watch a movie or tv show on my upstairs TV I have to manually throw it on my PSP and then plug it into my x-box gets old fast.

Or maybe I should just buy a bigger memory stick. Probably cheaper.

The only thing that could make me even consider getting a new x-box is if it were able to transfer files from USB to hard-drive. The fact every time I want to watch a movie or tv show on my upstairs TV I have to manually throw it on my PSP and then plug it into my x-box gets old fast.

Or maybe I should just buy a bigger memory stick. Probably cheaper.

Have you tried using a upnp server? I have movies and music and what on my pc upstairs but I have the xbox downstairs, so I stream stuff to it. Serviio and winamp remote are pretty good for the task.

no HD gaming out of the box

That's a bit of a backwards step, no?

What is "Out of the box" supposed to mean anyway?

I have no problem with plugging in an HDMI cable, I don't see what a backwards step to that would be.

I have no idea about 360 and HD, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that he means you can take it out of the box, plug in a HDMI cable that comes with the console and it'll be in HD when you turn on everything on.

I always figured both consoles came with a HDMI. My PS3 came with the cable and my little brothers 360 came with one. I think.

I don't think some of the latest revisions of the 360 come with the neccesary cables for HD but aren't bog standard HDMI cables now going for a pittance? It's kind of a moot point, especially when a lot of people say you'd be hard pressed to see much difference between a normal cable and one of these special ones that go towards $/£100.

When I bought my PS3 it didn't come with a HDMI cable...I had to buy one from Radio Shack for like 15 bucks..

and yea, those $100 Monster cables have been proven to be bullshit anyway

I can't remember where I read it, but some ubergeek did a bunch of tests and worked out that it is noticeably quieter. My Elite was made 7 months ago, I've been using it for maybe three, my games are installed, it's well ventilated and it still makes a noise. It's not massively loud (my old one sounded like a jet taking off when I put a disc in), but it's certainly not silent. I'm sceptical of anyone who says it's silent, I figure you've more than likely tuned it out.