King of Pop gives away album for free

METALMAN

The Daily Mirror and its Scottish stablemate, the Daily Record, are to give away the new Prince album, 20TEN.

More than 2.5m copies of the free CD will be distributed with the

papers on Saturday 10 July.

It follows the success of Prince's last newspaper album giveaway, with the Mail on Sunday, in July 2007.

The album deal is part of a multimedia collaboration with the singer that will see the Mirror and Record run a series of Prince-themed features. It includes his first British newspaper interview in more than 10 years and ticket giveaways to his European concerts.

Kiran Sharma, Prince's representative and producer of his live shows, said: "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World in 1995 was Prince's first number one selling single as a completely free artist.

"Fifteen years on, Prince is demonstrating that in 2010 it is still

possible for artists to work in an independent and innovative capacity,

highlighted here in a world first of delivering the new album across

multiple territories, through complementary distribution channels.

"The new album, 20TEN, is a celebratory, quintessential Prince masterpiece and marks the start of the international tour."

Mirror editor Richard Wallace said: "We're proud that Prince has chosen the Daily Mirror and Daily Record as the best way to get his new album to his legions of fans in the UK."

It also happens to coincide, more or less, with the planned price cut by one of the Mirror's red-top rivals, the Daily Star, which is due to be reduced to 10p from the beginning of next month.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2010/jun/29/daily-mirror-prince

He's not quite been at his 80s vintage but he still generally has a couple of absolute belters on each album so I expect I'll shell out £1 for this. Might even read the Daily Ranger. >_>

The King of Pop should be an actual title that gets passed down. Since MJ kicked the bucket, I'm cool with Prince taking over.

• Like 1

So is this just another way for Prince to get high up in the charts again? Like when he built the cost of an album into concert tickets to float in the upper echelons of the Billboard charts for a while?

The King of Pop should be an actual title that gets passed down. Since MJ kicked the bucket, I'm cool with Prince taking over.

Actualy there is a story that sais the "King of Pop" promition was first offered to Prince, but he turned itdown and the company chose to do it with MJ instead.

Prince has don this before, i think his last tour had the Album packed with a concert Ticket... if you consider the Prices of his tour (standing tickets start at something around 150€) it´s a good thing he is at least givingaway the music.