The "Man That Movie Wasn't As Shit As I Heard It Was" Thread

TGC

I was on the support wagon for Terminator 3. And while it became an EWB meme, The Girl Next Door was obviously way better than it had any right to be.

But I am a giant defender of 2012 simply because the experience I had with it was amazing. I basically went to the midnight screening with a few of my old bosses who I love talking about movies with. We joked about the hyperbole of the movie, and obviously it was near 3 AM when we left, but my god, I love that movie and its flaws so much. The hammy dialogue made me laugh in my seat, the setup of near-misses was amazing, and it felt like a disaster epic thrown into exhaustive overdrive. I can understand the hate, but really, it is exactly the culmination of the modern disaster flick and it is fucking awesome. If people can defend Transformers 2, then fuck it, I'll defend what I see as a better throwback.

Edited by ROC

Elizabethtown, retroactively, I loved the film but it gets loads of flack because of who's in it and because it's ridiculously similar to Garden State, but I absolutely love it. The soundtrack in particular is fucking fantastic.

Also, those mentioning Date Movie, seriously, if I could make a pact with whatever higher power exists to do anything with my life, removing the painful two hours of sitting and watching that film would be right up there.

Also The Day The Earth Stood Still. I heard it was meant to be shit, but I actually quite liked it. One of the few characters that Keanu's acting style (or lack thereof) fits so well: stoic alien.

I saw love for T3 and hatred for Terminator Salvation.

Personally I hated T3(remember laughing when some critic said that T3 was one of the 5 best sci-fi movies of all time) but somehow quite enjoyed Salvation, it just felt like a true Terminator movie to me. I mean still nowhere near the quality of the first 2 but still enjoyed it.

I nominate Rambo IV. I heard so many people rubbishing the movie but I really enjoyed it. The final scene is just.....wow.

I really liked Terminator Salvation the only thing is Christian Bale was so plain in this movie it could have been anybody playing John Connor and it wouldn't have effected it if that makes sense? John Connor after being like the focal point for the last 2 movies just didn't feel important enough or something

That was one of the problems with the script really. The whole film was mostly about Marcus Wright, which whilst I liked Worthington in the film, it really shouldn't have been. It should have been the story about Connor leading the resistance against the Terminators. Instead we got 2 hours of Worthington running around, Bale talking on a radio and it was all just to set up one fight with a CGI Arnie and some ridiculous plan about how Skynet was going to use the military to take down Connor.

The whole film would have been so much better if it was about Connor rising to become the leader of the Resistance and about how he's got nothing left to protect him. Now that the Terminators aren't travelling back in time to kill him, he can be killed by them in the 'present' day. Ideally it would have ended with the discovery of the time travelling device or what have you to set up the first film. And ideally it would have had a fucking badass Kyle Reese instead of the some kid played by Anton fucking Yelchin.

And a Lance Henrikson cameo. Hell, I'd have forgiven them for everything if it had a Henrikson cameo. He's barely even a part of the franchise, but he's just so god damn cool.

EDIT: thinking about it, despite the fact he looks nothing like him, Worthington would have made an awesome Kyle Reese. Or that guy who played him in Sarah Connor Chronicles. He looked quite similar to Biehn.

You should track down the original plans for the movie. Until Bale came along there really was no John Connor in the movie at all aside from a voice on the radio. I honestly think that movie would have been far better, and it had a nice couple of reveals.

I did not hate Salvation at all. I've seen it twice now. The first time I really enjoyed it, walking out of the theatre on a bit of a high. On the subsequent viewing I was not as happy with it as the flaws all shined a little brighter to me.

Daybreakers wasn't all that bad. It had some really cool concepts, at least. Still, I have yet to see 30 Days Of Night, but I'm not really rushing to see it either.

You sir are treading near throat chop territory. :angry: