2010/2011 UEFA Champions League

EddieG

YES! COUNTER ATTACK! YES GARETH BALE! He's destroyed the best defence in the world.

Maybe when Jose was managing them....

They're still one of the best in Europe. Second to only Chelsea in goals conceded throughout the three big leagues I think, so Bale deserves enormous credit for raping them so easily. Spurs are making it quite hard for me to hate them at the moment.

YES! COUNTER ATTACK! YES GARETH BALE! He's destroyed the best defence in the world.

Maybe when Jose was managing them....

They're still one of the best in Europe. Second to only Chelsea in goals conceded throughout the three big leagues I think, so Bale deserves enormous credit for raping them so easily. Spurs are making it quite hard for me to hate them at the moment.

My point is that they play a completely different game now. Mourinho took a team that name-wise clearly isn't the best in Europe, but got them playing a game which allowed them to win the Champions League. Benitez plays a different game, and it left them vulnerable. All credit to Spurs, but Inter aren't as good as last season suggests, personally.

And as someone said on my facebook, it's no big surprise that an aged Italian defence got undone by speed.

I think it's a bit early to be doing high fives and saying how people were proven wrong. You're not actually out of the group stage yet so there's still the chance something could go wrong and then being successful in the knockout rounds is reliant on you actually not leaking goals away from home, the comebacks cant keep happening, especially in the knockout stages where a 4-0 lead at half time for a team like Inter would stay a 4-0 lead as they would shut up shop completely.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, you gotta feel for Arsenal. Carlos Vela is clearly fouled in the box, but gets booked for diving instead of getting the penalty. Then Braga score on a counter, and take a 1-0 lead.

The only positive for Arsenal? At least Eboue got hurt and had to leave the match <_<

Guest Emoctoberingy

Roma/Bayern was wonderful. It was like Spurs/Arsenal! Except without my emotional investement :shifty:

Also lolol at Alonso's red card

Edited by Emoctoberingy
  • Like 1

Nyuk nyuk Arsenal.

Good comeback from Chelsea though. They needed the win, however ropey it was.

Hopefully Spurs will win in a straightforward manner tonight to take us through to the knock out stages. It's also nice that in the case of equal points Spurs will finish higher than Inter due to results between the teams. Finishing top of the group is a real possibility.

• Like 1

It's at this point that I start eying what bastard Knockout Round draw UEFA might lumber Chelsea with.

Looking at teams likely to finish 2nd in their group (and aren't English), the easiest seem to be the likes of Shalke 04 and FC Copenhagen.

So, I expect United to draw Copenhagen and Chelsea to get AC Milan. Unless Barca randomly draw one of their last two games and finish 2nd, in which case there is nothing on this earth that could keep UEFA from 'booking' Chelsea v Barcelona again. <_<

It's at this point that I start eying what bastard Knockout Round draw UEFA might lumber Chelsea with.

Looking at teams likely to finish 2nd in their group (and aren't English), the easiest seem to be the likes of Shalke 04 and FC Copenhagen.

I wouldn't count with that.

Any opinions on Jose's slightly too obvious master plan with Alonso and Ramos (though invented by David Beckham in an England game many moons ago IIRC?)? Slight possibility he could've got away with just Alonso, but when Ramos is mysteriously slowly taking goal kicks he's clearly pushing it. Aparently UEFA are looking into it, surely the only way to discourage it is to uphold the ban for the first knockout game instead of the meaningless group game although this sets a scary precedent of trying to prove guilt. Its yellow cards for simulation all over again, if you get caught great, but a right kick in the teeth if you haven't actually dived.

Ah. It'd be interesting to see if Man U go all out and destroy Rangers, what with the friendliness between Fergie and Smith but it looks like Rangers are going to need to try and take something from this game, since Valencia are fucking Bursaspor right now. They better not sit back and play for a draw.