2010/2011 UEFA Champions League

EddieG

I think the only chance United would have against them is if they faced them in 2 legs like the 07/08 season. Then again it would be tough to keep them from destroying us at Camp Nou but I think we would have a chance at Old Trafford as we always do best there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
Real Madrid have lodged an appeal with Uefa against the five-match European ban imposed on Jose Mourinho.

His punishment relates to the ill-tempered Champions League semi-final first leg against Barcelona in April.

Mourinho was sent to the stands and launched a tirade against Barca in the post-match press conference.

The former Chelsea manager had already indicated his intention to take his case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport if necessary.

He was ordered to the stands after showing his displeasure at the red card shown to Real midfielder Pepe in the 2-0 defeat by Pep Guardiola's side, and claimed afterwards there was a refereeing conspiracy in favour of their great rivals.

Mourinho said at the time: "It's clear that against Barcelona you have no chance.

"Guardiola is a fantastic coach, but he has won one Champions League which I would be ashamed to win after the scandal at Stamford Bridge and this year, if he wins it again, it will be after the scandal at the Bernabeu."

Mourinho then added: "I hope that one day he will win a clean Champions League, with no incidents behind it."

Guardiola's side went on to lift the coveted trophy after a thrilling encounter against Sir Alex Ferguson's Manchester United.

A statement on the Uefa website stated: "Real Madrid have appealed against the disciplinary verdict handed down to Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho by the Uefa Control and Disciplinary Body on 6 May, and relating to the UEFA Champions League semi-final first leg on 27 April.

"The appeal follows the sending by Uefa of the reasoned decision on 6 June."