EWB's Favourite Actors 2010 - Voting Thread

Jimmy

I'd wager saying that he's the most overrated in cinema is a stretch. The guy is capable and competent, but he is not amazing, nor is he in the Top 100 actors.

Edit: Isn't someone's favorite actor someone they'd place in the best of all time? Or do I not understand opinions?

Ollie - DeVito, Ferris, Williams. 'Nuff said.

EDIT: LL - overrated, for me, is about how much hyperbole somebody gets compared to the actual talent. I like Radiohead, I really do, they had one of the best albums of the 90s, but they still rank near the top of my 'most overrated bands' list. With Norton, the following he gets is so far removed from his almost uniformly-average, sleepwalking performances that he slingshots to the top of that list - he's not as bad as some actors, not by a long shot, but I can't think of anybody worse than him who gets the same level of acclaim.

Edited by ClaRK! Kent

10. Marissa Tomei

9. Paul Rudd

8. Elizabeth Banks

7. Matt Damon

6. Gary Oldman

5. Christian Bale

4. Sam Jackson

3. John Cusack

2. Morgan Freeman

1. Robert Downey Jr.

That's a fucked up list. I will suspect I will be editing it, but I really wanted two women on it.

Badatori and you fucking like Michelle Rodriguez?!?!?!

SHE IS THE DRIZZLING SHITS!

Thus why she's not in my Top 10 tongue.gif. I enjoyed her immensely in GirlFight and I've just re-watched it recently, so her name came to hand quickly in the category "actress I've liked". That's the only reason, really.

Ollie - DeVito, Ferris, Williams. 'Nuff said.

EDIT: LL - overrated, for me, is about how much hyperbole somebody gets compared to the actual talent. I like Radiohead, I really do, they had one of the best albums of the 90s, but they still rank near the top of my 'most overrated bands' list. With Norton, the following he gets is so far removed from his almost uniformly-average, sleepwalking performances that he slingshots to the top of that list - he's not as bad as some actors, not by a long shot, but I can't think of anybody worse than him who gets the same level of acclaim.

Julia Roberts.

I'd wager saying that he's the most overrated in cinema is a stretch. The guy is capable and competent, but he is not amazing, nor is he in the Top 100 actors.

Edit: Isn't someone's favorite actor someone they'd place in the best of all time? Or do I not understand opinions?

Yes, to an extent, but not entirely. Favourite rather than best generally allows for guilty-plesures, rose-tinted childhood favourites, people/things which do what they do well rather than posessing a great range, and for other reasons to play a part in deciding a list rather than a strict analysis of who or what is simply best. Though obviously talent plays a huge part, and not all of the things I've just listed apply here. Maybe something which could play a part is that an actor has played a certain role so well that people will want to vote for them, especially if that role shows off an actors range rather than the actor being great in X number of different roles.

I second the call for a larger list than ten. I'm on 15 and have barely begun. List to come.

• Like 2

1. Phillip Seymour Hoffman

2. Edward Norton

3. Sam Rockwell

4. Leonardo DiCaprio

5. Gary Oldman

6. Joseph Gordon-Levitt

7. Daniel Day-Lewis

8. Christian Bale

9. Brad Pitt

10. Mark Ruffalo

Man that was super difficult and I may have to change it later. And much like Kaney, I couldn't really think of any actresses that I would definitely have in my Top 10 of favorite actors.

Pretty Woman, Erin Brockovich, Michael Collins, and the sending-herself-up roles in America's Sweethearts and Ocean's 11. Julia Roberts is far from a terrible actress. She's annoying, and has made some bad films, but she can go when the project is right.

EDIT: This is obviously a reply to LL, and not to the several posts now between that and this. <_<

Edited by ClaRK! Kent

Pretty Woman, Erin Brockovich, Michael Collins, and the sending-herself-up roles in America's Sweethearts and Ocean's 11. Julia Roberts is far from a terrible actress. She's annoying, and has made some bad films, but she can go when the project is right.

EDIT: This is obviously a reply to LL, and not to the several posts now between that and this. <_<

She's completely pedestrian and the same person in each and every one of those movies. I'd say she's more like Ed Norton in that Erin Brockovich was her Fight Club. Everything else she's in, she's so.. meh. Yet, there she is being highly regarded as greatest by many. It's laughable.

Will Smith falls under this category, as well.

I'd definitely disagree with this. Die Hard is my favourite film of all time, but I can't say it's perf-wait no. Okay, bad example. Soundgarden are my favourite band of all time, but I know for a fact they are far from the best, most talented band of all time. I can see theres a difference between what is someones personal preference and actual undeniable talent.

I'd definitely disagree with this. Die Hard is my favourite film of all time, but I can't say it's perf-wait no. Okay, bad example. Soundgarden are my favourite band of all time, but I know for a fact they are far from the best, most talented band of all time. I can see theres a difference between what is someones personal preference and actual undeniable talent.

But, you'd put them on your all time favorite... It's confusing to me that someone who would pick someone as their favorite.. wouldn't consider them the best? I can't wrap my head around that.

I was kinda trying to point out that someone can have a personal favourite and still realise they might not be the best in their field. Saying something is the best of all time is taking their entire performance, skill, quality etc into account. Saying it's your favourite just means you like it a lot.

I - I could give more examples I guess?