Civilization Thread!

Ruki

Four days prior to release, a very typical Civ trailer appears. Not that interesting, but I'll use it as a cynical excuse to bump the thread. :shifty: 

My favourite bit of game footage I've seen so far is definitely Sean Bean quoting Python with "Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government ... You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!" upon researching the Divine Right civic.

• Like 3

• Like 2

I thought I had this preordered.  Turns out I didn't....I don't know whether to get a boxed version or a digital version. Suppose whatever one is cheapest. 

I'm assuming it's still cheaper to get from anywhere other than Steam atm?

7 hours ago, Ruki said:

Played about 100 turns....had two people declare war on me when I had basically no army...but they didn't take any cities.

But a lot of the changes? I'm a fan of. Gonna take some getting used to, that's for sure.

I played about 20 minutes this morning and, similarly, managed to have Rome DOW me because I had only two warriors and one slinger to speak of. I then left for work before they could reach my city...aka a tactical retreat. :shifty: 

I love the districts and the hard choices you now have to make about cities/terrain/wonders/etc. I love the strategy that creeps into your play just because you're motivated to chase the various science eureka/civic inspiration moments. I love that Builders' improvements are instantaneous (and the fact that they're limited to 3 shots doesn't seem to bother me at all). In short, I just love it.

4 hours ago, Ruki said:

I agree with you about the hard choices.

Also? It was so hard to decide what to build...I wanted districts, but I also kinda need normal buildings and units. So many choices!

Units. Always units.

On 10/17/2016 at 20:05, stokeriño said:

Four days prior to release, a very typical Civ trailer appears. Not that interesting, but I'll use it as a cynical excuse to bump the thread. :shifty: 

My favourite bit of game footage I've seen so far is definitely Sean Bean quoting Python with "Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government ... You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!" upon researching the Divine Right civic.

Still not as good as Nimoy quoting Sputnik.

Won my first game via Culture (was going for Domination but stumbled into it after getting rid of Greece). I think Science is going to be a bitch to pull off because (like in Civ V) you need a bunch of high-production cities to build the various space projects and stuff at the end, but unless you have some really OTT industrial cities then they're still going to take forever.

Case in point: my highest production city was London and I did everything I could to boost it further - e.g. having a thousand trade routes emanating from it to other cities in my empire, each of which added between 3 and 6 production - and even then it's like "yeah, 30 turns to build a Spaceport". Christ.

It's still going to take time to adjust to the new yield levels. Gold seemed to be coming out of my ears but in the late game it takes more than 2,500 gold to buy a single unit so even +200/turn doesn't amount to a massive amount. Conversely, I could get by (on Prince) with Science of barely +40/turn in the middle part of the game when in Civ V you'd need at least 150 or 200 to keep up.

I hope there's a setting somewhere to turn off some/all of the sidebar notifications though. I really don't need to be reminded every other turn that half a dozen cities are at their Housing limit.

Well anyway - winning a game with a bitching navy and a fuck-tonne of gold seems like it was the right way to play as England. Might have a go with a more faith-orientated civ next.

Oh they will. But they'll also be dead soon.

My intended-religious game as Arabia sort of fell apart when I was stuck on a continent by myself for ages, then discovered the Aztecs whose Catholic apostles are somehow SUPER-STRONG in religious combat. Am now intending to pursue a science victory instead.

...Though I hope he does eventually convert one of my cities just so that I can delight in using the Holy War casus belli on him. I was going to be peaceful in this game but hell if the prospect of shelling his capital from the sea isn't just too tempting.

• Like 1