Civilization Thread!

Ruki

5 hours ago, Jericode said:

Okay so run-fuelled me just bought the Complete Edition of this off Steam since it was under a tenner, I've never played a Civ game before, what am I getting myself into?

3tcpfx.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jericode said:

Okay so run-fuelled me just bought the Complete Edition of this off Steam since it was under a tenner, I've never played a Civ game before, what am I getting myself into?

Start on Settler as one of the more "generic" civs--i.e., one that offers pretty good stuff but doesn't totally change the way you play the game. Poland, America, Egypt, Arabia, China, and Korea are all good examples of that. Some civs like Venice, Assyria, Maya, Polynesia, and Zulu are really good but completely change your play style. Try on a low difficulty and shoot for a victory condition like space just to get a good idea how the odds and ends work.

• Like 1

Beyond Earth is just kinda... there... unless you either play Starships to unlock some of the better loadouts (the one that reveals all expedition sites is incredible) or mod the hell out of it (Loadouts Overhaul mod is insane, you can end up starting with 4 explorers).

The research thing is horrible, as is being shown when other civs arrive, which changes the minimap size, which I find really annoying.

Psh, Attilla is nothing...

...When you have Brazil and Persia between the two of you and you roll on past them both to bear down on him. Also my turbo start strategy seems pretty bonkers against the AI. At least at the low-medium difficulties I play at.

Wandering into this thread has made me think "oh hey maybe I'll fire up Civ V again. I've got nothing to do this evening, so why not have a little go".

If this causes me to miss the entire of 2016 I'm blaming you lot.

• Like 6

So the CEO of Stardock, the developer of Galactic Civilization, has apparently said Civ VI will be out sometime in the 2nd half of this year

Civ 5 upon initial release was not a complete game, and they had blatantly left a lot of mechanics out to release as later expansions (most notably religion, and I'm pretty sure espionage too). Civ 4 was still far better until Gods & Kings (and maybe even Brave New World) was released.

• Like 1

I remember Civ 5 having a lot of issues with AI diplomacy that took a good while to sort out, and it was a shame that religion and espionage were left out of the standard game. I didn't play Civ 4 until a few years after its release, but I have read that it also took a few patches to get right, so I think it's fair to be cautious about the prospect of a great game emerging straight away. It's for that reason that I probably wouldn't buy another Civ game until a good few months after release.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Plubby said:

Well seeing as how you were apparently working there and thus know it to be a fact, why not have it changed? :P

You really think they decided later to add in religion and espionage, two elements that were in the previous game (religion in particular being a major selling point of a previous expansion pack)? It was always the intent. Don't be so naive.