Civilization Thread!

Ruki

• 1 month later...

I've been playing Beyond Earth. While I really enjoy it and the victories are a lot of fun there isn't as much depth in the gameplay as I'd like. Essentially it needs an expansion to put more out there for you to do, far too much of playing is an early land grab for resources. I hate building wide but it's almost a necessity on most difficulties.

Just jumped into an old game for the first time in months and was going for the nuke in 2012 achievement, finally got there and it didn't pop... because I realised I was playing as the Maya and not the Inca :lol:

Racist. :/

I've been playing Beyond Earth. While I really enjoy it and the victories are a lot of fun there isn't as much depth in the gameplay as I'd like. Essentially it needs an expansion to put more out there for you to do, far too much of playing is an early land grab for resources. I hate building wide but it's almost a necessity on most difficulties.

Yeah took advantage of the free weekend to have a look at it myself and thought the same. The concept is good and adds some nice extras to the formula but in the end I think it's more of a starting point and I'm sure in the way that Civ 5 improved it could be great but right now I'm happy enough to just switch back to that with expansions.

My thoughts exactly, Show and Lanky. Beyond Earth does many things right (the tech web, missions, unit changes based on ideology) but doesn't really have enough to warrant a full game. Honestly, I feel that Civ:BE is the prologue (or perhaps even just a treatment) for a much more successful game. It feels rushed -- not on any technical or buggy level, but in the lack of features and depth.

I understand that it is much more difficult to build a world from scratch as compared to real world history. BE is, in many ways the first game in a franchise. A comparison with Alpha Centauri rather than Civilization 5 + Expansions might be more fair. That said, I'd still rate Alpha Centauri the better game. Unit customization was awesome.

Overall, I've played BE less than any other game in the Civilization franchise, even the sub-par Colonization remake. Granted, BE has been around for much less, but I don't think I'll be going back to it any time soon.

When it first came out, the most common thing I read in reviews about BE is it feels more like a Civ5 mod or expansion then a standalone game

Yeah it really does feel like a mod at times. I can't speak enough about how cool the tech web is as well as the ideologies are. But that's it. Outside of those two changes each turn just feels like a grind towards nowhere. It's good to place emphasis on the tech web and completing both that and an ideology for victory, but there has to be more to it. Only 8 civs to play as feels like a step back from Civ V as well.

Again, I'm confident this was floated out there as a starting point and in a couple years BE will be a really great game. Recall Civ V was pretty bad when it launched and until the expansions I was still playing Civ IV.