Civilization Thread!

Ruki

God, I re-downloaded Civ IV on steam because you lot were talking about it... and I just cant play it after playing Civ V. The graphics, the stack 'o doom~!, not being able to move the screen with the left click, its a backwards step that I cannot make.

The maker of Rhyes and Fall is working on a version for Civ V, I can't wait for that.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, the dropping of the stack o' doom is by far the best move they ever made. Adds in a shitload more tactics to warfare.

But the Stack o' Doom is fun! Just ask the Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, and Germoh that's right those countries don't exist any more :shifty:

God, I re-downloaded Civ IV on steam because you lot were talking about it... and I just cant play it after playing Civ V. The graphics, the stack 'o doom~!, not being able to move the screen with the left click, its a backwards step that I cannot make.

The maker of Rhyes and Fall is working on a version for Civ V, I can't wait for that.

I play Civ 4 mostly because my laptop can't handle Civ 5. :shifty:

Yeah, this. I don't really understand the graphics complaint, though; are you really playing a turn-based strategy game for that? It looks fine; it's not like it's some first-generation Playstation title where the polygon objects all look like Legos and Cloud Strife has no mouth.

Yeah, this. I don't really understand the graphics complaint, though; are you really playing a turn-based strategy game for that?

Yep. Graphics aren't too important to me; I'm playing Civ IV because 1) Civ II will not work on my computer, and 2) Alpha Centauri's getting boring.

Jesus fuck I can see why Roosevelt always seems to have trouble on Earth maps. I couldn't leverage Industrious because some douchewad in Europe (probably Louis) was building all of the wonders I wanted (Pyramids, Stonehenge, Oracle, Great Library, Great Lighthouse... I finally got the Shwedagon Paya just because I beat everyone on the map to Aesthetics). So after chopping down all of my forests into failed wonder projects, I was left with some decent but not great land, Confucianism as state religion, and oh yeah somehow Montezuma became Hindu without founding it, and since all of my hammers went into attempted wonders instead of troops... yeah.

We should spin off a "People who are poor and still play Civ IV" thread. :shifty:

Yeah, this. I don't really understand the graphics complaint, though; are you really playing a turn-based strategy game for that?

Yep. Graphics aren't too important to me; I'm playing Civ IV because 1) Civ II will not work on my computer, and 2) Alpha Centauri's getting boring.

The graphics aren't that important to me, but the other complaints I have about the game are and the graphics are just the cherry on the top. I have a gfx card that cost more than £20, I deserve good graphics.

Well, I see now that I totally misread Sousa's post. :shifty: I meant we should have a people who are poor AT Civ 4, which I am. I do have CIv 5, bought it the day it came out but then found out that my computer couldn't handle it.

Why is religion not in Civ 5? I found it to be a massively fun mechanic in IV :(

I've found religion to be the game breaker. Consider the research bonus that the monasteries provide, as well as both the worker bonus you get under Organized and the birth rate bonus under Pacifism; all one really needs to do is make a rush towards all the religions (You may miss Buddhism and Hinduism, though), and until you reach Astronomy, you've got it made.

Notice how research coming from religion ends when you discover the Scientific Method? Civ is like real life. :shifty:

I wonder how far you can get without Scientific Method...

"Sir, we've just developed a high tech device called a 'Laser'!"

"Praise Ganesh!"

"We are now working on an idea called the scientific method :) "

"Sounds good! (Y) "

*later*

"Sir, there are no gods."

"FIRE THE 'LASER'! :angry: "

:shifty:

• Like 4

I honestly usually put off Scientific Method until I get as many monasteries going as I can just so I can spread religions around under Free Religion to boost the happiness cap. Most of the time I don't grab it until I have everything in the Chemistry/Steel/Steam Power/Railroad/Combustion tree sorted out and I have rifles and cannons online. Once I get bored with that, I beeline for Tanks because, y'know. Tanks.

And sometimes I just stay in Theocracy forever. That's what I did in the Shaka game.

No game news. I played as Ragnar on an archipelago map last night just so I wouldn't have to go up against Ragnar again. There's nothing more fun than beelining Astronomy and dumping a bunch of Berserkers off of a Galleon onto grumpy ol' Tokugawa in like 600 AD. :shifty:

Edited by Sousa

Last game I did was the same scenario I did before, playing once again as Rome.

In case you forgot or you're too lazy to scroll up, here's the deal:

Real world map, real starting locations. The following nations are in play:

Germany (w/Frederick), Egypt (w/Hasmowhatsit), Greece (w/AlexCnder), Persia (w/Cyrus), India (w/Asoka), China (w/Qin), Mongolia (w/Genghis Khan) and Japan (w/Tokugawa).

I modify my early strategy just a bit, instead of running towards Iron Working right away, I get Poly and Monotheism. Then I research Iron Working and began to expand to 4 cities. Once I have Iron Working, I have each city pump out four Praetorians.

Conquer Germany, Greece, Persia, and Egypt, and go to work on India. India becomes a vasaal, and I proceed to get most of the other religions (Alexander beat me to Buddhism, but no matter), and I proceed to start going crazy with expansion. Eventually, China loses it's mind and goes to war with the Japanese and Mongols (The Japanenese being seclued to Japan :shifty:); somehow Japan managed to get a small foothold in Korea and Vietnam, spreading south. Genghis contacts me offering to become my vasaal (Which I accept, amazingly, he's the number two guy) and by this point I have Riflemen, and I begin my assault on China. After they lose Southeast Asia to me, they lose Shangai, and agree to become my vasaal, while I still have a war with Japan.

This ends when I take Korea and 'Nam, and I win the game.

My score was something like 69000, making me, Julius Caesar, display the leadership skills of....Augustus Caesar :shifty:.

I then kept playing the game. Japan spread into Australia, India set up a colony in Argentina, and I colonized North America, and when I saw my vasaals doing that, I decided to nuke the land outside their territory to keep them in check :shifty: