Civilization Thread!

Ruki

Aperently the Civ WOrlds Facebook game is live. I was not able to find the app yet, but maybe we could go for a game later?

Civilization World

https://www.facebook.com/civworld?ref=ts

Edit, tehre we go

https://apps.facebook.com/CivWorld/

Playec for a while, it´s extremly important to focus on food early on! Thats what buys you more population, thats what will get you ahead in the rest of the game! It´s actualy more like a settlers game.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Guest Canary4life

Played as Washington last night on a HYOOOOGE Earth map. I wound up starting just south of the African plains and I've managed to get myself three cities and seem to have a lot of free space to expand (presumably most of the others are based in Europe and Asia, which I can't reach because the borders of two other nations block me off). A lot more fun on big maps. I still miss the fact you can't seem to select the amount of enemy nations as well as the map size. Having a huge map with four enemies who all spawned on one side of the map was always fun.

Go into Advanced Options or something like that, then you have a list of players (including you), as well as several other options like sea level, more obscure map types, temperature and many more. Adjust away!

Civ 5 comes across like they thought Civ Revolution was a good game. Which it wasn't. At all.

It's funny, 'cuz you're wrong. Civ Rev was awesome.

Played as the Chinese (Mainly for the Pavilion), but I set the game up so I could have any leader (For which I used FDR)

Maaaaaan, I don't know why you went to the trouble of bringing in Roosevelt when China already has a leader in Qin who's perfectly suited to turtle up and go cultural. Nab Stonehenge early, cottage up, and then build all the wonders you want. I was fully planning to go cultural with Qin last night before killing Roosevelt early crashed my economy and I realized I had a whole slew of City Raider-promoted Swordsmen just sitting around and goddamn Montezuma right next door.

EDIT: Yes, I know Protective kind of sucks as a trait, but it's got good synergy with China and Chu Ko Nu (also Sitting Bull and his goddamn totem pole archers). I've played with nearly every leader now, and Qin, Sitting Bull, and Gilgamesh leverage protective really well. Mao doesn't, but Mao sucks. :shifty:

Edited by Sousa

Played as the Chinese (Mainly for the Pavilion), but I set the game up so I could have any leader (For which I used FDR)

Maaaaaan, I don't know why you went to the trouble of bringing in Roosevelt when China already has a leader in Qin who's perfectly suited to turtle up and go cultural. Nab Stonehenge early, cottage up, and then build all the wonders you want. I was fully planning to go cultural with Qin last night before killing Roosevelt early crashed my economy and I realized I had a whole slew of City Raider-promoted Swordsmen just sitting around and goddamn Montezuma right next door.

EDIT: Yes, I know Protective kind of sucks as a trait, but it's got good synergy with China and Chu Ko Nu (also Sitting Bull and his goddamn totem pole archers). I've played with nearly every leader now, and Qin, Sitting Bull, and Gilgamesh leverage protective really well. Mao doesn't, but Mao sucks. :shifty:

I used FDR because because of Organized; I did a couple earlier games where finances were whacky, and I don't like to lose :shifty:

So, things I've learned:

1) Discover as many religions as possible, get to Organized Religion, and build monasteries like there's no tomorrow.

2) Privateers are fun when used to set up a blockade.

3) Have a number of cities that's a multiple of 3.

4) Given how fast advances are going, Walls and Castles are largely pointless, so Statue of Zeus is a must.

5) NO YOU CAN'T FUCKING JOIN THE NEIGHBORS :angry:

So, I've concluded that the current game I'm playing is a secret expansion called Civilization: Anime Edition. Why?

I'm playing as Japan, it's 1771 and I've just entered the future era. If only I could construct mechs...

(And oddly, my neighbors are working on Engineering and Banking)

Capitals on hills are cheating.

I'm looking at you, Mehmed.

That fucking war took eons, and halfway through he capitulated to the Vikings of all people, which meant I had to wait 400,000 years to make peace once I finally managed to wipe the Ottomans off the map.

I'm having a fun game, though. Went up a difficulty, so I'm playing as good ol' easy Darius. Squashed Mehmed, and now I'm butting up against Bismarck. Mansa, Pacal, and Gilgamesh are hanging out as well, and aside from Pacal--who's stuck on an island teching like a motherfucker--and Mansa (who's Hindu), every other civ is part of a massive Buddhist diplomatic love-in... including Mehmed, who's Mehdead now.

After starting in a nightmare of a location, I've finally gotten some good land thanks to squishing Mehmed. I've got a tech lead (although Pacal has Astronomy on me and won't trade it), so I could probably switch to Free Religion (or even spread Buddhism around and switch religions) to keep everybody else happy, turtle up, and tech to space. On the other hand, I've got a whole bunch of City Raider Macemen just sitting around waiting for Rifleman promotions, and Cannons just went online... :pervert:

EDIT: Vassaliz'd Bismarck--he had Cavalry online and was getting to be a pain in the ass to fight since he was teching better than everyone except me and Pacal. Right at the end of the war, Mansa comes to me and asks to be a vassal, so I agreed... and it turns out he was at war with Ragnar. Whatever. Roll the tanks through Sumeria and stomp Ragnar and vassalize him as well, and at this point my options are to either slog through Gilgamesh's huge territory (ugh), load armies onto boats to get Pacal (ugh), or tech to space. So I went to Alpha Centauri, Gilgamesh spun off a vassal of his own because he was jealous of my three, and Pacal founded all of the Corporations in the game.

Edited by Sousa

That fucking war took eons, and halfway through he capitulated to the Vikings of all people, which meant I had to wait 400,000 years to make peace once I finally managed to wipe the Ottomans off the map.

Right at the end of the war, Mansa comes to me and asks to be a vassal, so I agreed... and it turns out he was at war with Ragnar. Whatever. Roll the tanks through Sumeria and stomp Ragnar and vassalize him as well

The game has decided to punish me for all of this, because in my current game (playing as Huayna Capac and the Incas) I'm on a continent.

Right next door to Ragnar.

Alone.

Julius Caesar and Shaka used to be my least favorite neighbors--the former because he has a tendency to declare war while you're off doing other things (or engaged on a war on another front), the latter because he's a whackaloon. Ragnar, I think, is worse than both, because he's also Financial, which means he doesn't just fight well; he techs well. The dude declared on me despite the fact that we share a religion and had a nice trade history, but who the fuck else is he going to attack? He's Ragnar, for fuck's sake.

Worst thing I tried to do was play as the Incas on an Earth map. The Andes make things impossible to build more than two cities. Unless you sail to central America.

The Incans have a horrible location on the Earth map--surrounded by mountains, stuck in the Amazon after that, and with Montezuma bearing down from the north, probably bending Roosevelt over an altar. Meanwhile, China has incredible land ripe for the plucking, two inept warmongers as neighbors, and a hemmed-in India on the other side of the jungle, while Egypt has two wonder resources and 800,000 flood plains. Earth maps aren't fair. The only thing the Incans have going for them is the fact that Huayna has ridiculously broken traits plus a good unique building.

The Incans have a horrible location on the Earth map--surrounded by mountains, stuck in the Amazon after that, and with Montezuma bearing down from the north, probably bending Roosevelt over an altar. Meanwhile, China has incredible land ripe for the plucking, two inept warmongers as neighbors, and a hemmed-in India on the other side of the jungle, while Egypt has two wonder resources and 800,000 flood plains. Earth maps aren't fair. The only thing the Incans have going for them is the fact that Huayna has ridiculously broken traits plus a good unique building.

Ain't history awesome? :rolleyes:

My one Earth game was as Catherine and Russia. I conquered all of Europe and Asia through Mongolia and vassalized every Eurasian and African civilization I didn't conquer, forcing all of them to adopt State Property. Then I won a UN victory, beating out Montezuma and the American bloc. Fuck yeah, historical accuracy.

Lousy Romans....

I'm doing a game as the Egyptians, on the Earth map. I've got the Germans, Romans and Greeks on Europe, the Persians, Chinese, Indians, Mongols, and Japanese in Asia, and Africa all to myself. So I'm thinking I'll be nice and isolationist.

I realize things begin to go bad when Julius demands marble in tribute (which I refuse), and so the game goes on. I also understand the threat, to I decide to keep my boarders with Rome closed (for now) and then deal with things later on; the only way into Africa by land is through the Sinai, which is blocked off.

Well, out of the blue, Rome (and the Mongols) declare war on me. I hover over the units approaching the Sinai...Four Praetorians. My army consists of Warriors for garrisons. <_<

Needless to say, the writing was on the wall >_< I didn't finish the game, deciding to close the window rather than watch my nation get obliterated.

Julius and Genghis don't need reasons to go to war; their reasons always amount to "you have something I want" and "I AM A GODDAMN FROTHING LUNATIC," respectively.

Restarted the Huanya game when it was clear Ragnar was just going to end me. This time I ended up next to a far squishier opponent (Gandhi). He was nice enough to found Buddhism and Judaism, so I beat him into irrelevance until he vassalated to Victoria right next door. Victoria goes down, and I discover the rest of the world: Zara Yaqob in Ethiopia who was way into trading everything, grumpy Saladin, and Louis beating the shit out of Washington. There were about 800 wars in the game, all told: I engaged Gandhi three times, and everybody kept ganging up on Washington (and I egged them on as Apostolic Palace resident). Finally smushed Gandhi, vassalated Victoria, signed Defensive Pacts with Louis and Zara, and beelined for Mass Media and the UN for an easy victory in 1800. Much more fun than being eaten by Ragnar, especially in the early wars when Gandhi refused to let me declare peace unless I gave back the city I took. :rolleyes:

Guest Canary4life

So pissed off. Played as Washington on a medium Continents map, wiped out France and The Ottoman Empire and dominated most of my continent bar a couple of city-states. I was in Future Era by 1940 and was at least three time periods ahead of the majority of the AI players (except Japan, who were two behind me). Built nearly all the wonders, but one problem was my decision to build the UN. See, Arabia had got on the good side of ALL city-states in the game so when the voting came round, despite being 2000 points away from me, they won the game... Exactly 2 turns before I would of had a space victory.

So pissed off. Played as Washington on a medium Continents map, wiped out France and The Ottoman Empire and dominated most of my continent bar a couple of city-states. I was in Future Era by 1940 and was at least three time periods ahead of the majority of the AI players (except Japan, who were two behind me). Built nearly all the wonders, but one problem was my decision to build the UN. See, Arabia had got on the good side of ALL city-states in the game so when the voting came round, despite being 2000 points away from me, they won the game... Exactly 2 turns before I would of had a space victory.

Reload then bribe the fuck out of some city states.

I recently took up Civ IV again and god I am so bad at this game. For fun, I tagged the Random Empire and I ended up as the Carthagians, right next to Montezuma. I quickly tech'd ahead of everyone but completely forgot about religion (which I always seem to do); still founded Confusciasm and have attempted to spread that all over the place, sadly, everyone seems to have converted to Judaism. Montezuma got fed up with me, declared war with me AND the Egyptians, nothing happened, we alle made peace, then I built up a huge army of catapults and Numadian Cavalry, charged in, got my ass kicked, founded gunpowder and then, in turn, kicked Montezuma's ass and made him my vassal.

Also, I got the Apostolic Palace. :pervert: No more trading with Stalin!

That Washington game became very interesting. My mass of cities meant that a culture or utopia project victory was likely out of the running. I was the first, and so far only person to colonise Australia thanks to my Minuteman unit, which also helped us eliminate several city states. Eventually I ran afoul of the Iriquois, but when the fighting came to a stalemate, I used a shitload of cash that I'd been backing up to just swarm the borders. They soon offered peace and offered up a load of luxuries that my people had asked for in return. I've almost ignored the Americas, but since I'm basically the owner of 90% of the African continent, as well as 50% of Australia and currently unchallenged, I've left the Americas to my French allies.

Awesome game yesterday;

Same Earth map as before, playing as Rome with Julius, opponents being Egypt, Germany, India, Persia, Japan, China, Mongolia, and Greece.

I make an early run towards Iron Working so I can crank out the Praetorians, and I proceed to steamroll the Greeks and Germans, then moving on towards the Persians and Egyptians (Thus giving me solid control of Europe, Africa and the Middle East). India for whatever reason offers to be my vassal, and I decide at this point to just expand and build up.

I decide a domination victory is a bad idea (though getting the population for it is easy, getting the land isn't :shifty:), so I decide on culture, and I manage to found every religion except for Taoism and Buddhism.

Technology then went ape shit, I think I won by the mid 19th century.

Fun things that happened:

Two captured Persian cities kept asking to join India (Which I thought was bullshit) up until the very end.

The Egyptians and Greeks resurfaced as Japanese vassals, though oddly, they were repsented by the Koreans and Malinese. Deciding not to bother with them (in spite of me bullying Tokugawa around, and his cronies), when they finally declare war on me, I bribe the Chinese and Mongolians to take care of them. Things didn't go so well for the Koreans.

I might give the game another go and try for a conquest victory with Rome.

Also, where are you guys finding the real world maps? Only one I could find was a scenario, and I'd like to give a game a shot where I start as an American power (Natives, Americans, Aztecs, Incans, or Mayans) and put everyone else in Europe :shifty: