Civilization Thread!

Ruki

hot seat is coming with the next patch.

hot seat?

• 1 month later...

It´s Civ but it´s a different game. Both stand on their own while you can feel that Civ IV already had all the balance, performance and adone requests fullfilled.

The bigest difference would be the combat, with no more stacking of units and more directions to move inCiv 5 has a lot more tactic to it´s war. Since the AI is/was very much of balance Civ 5 often felt like a war game with extras to me (the tech tree issent to big and dos not always make sens. There are mods that fix this and shurly it will get expanted by an addone someday) - but if you are more of a war monger you might not even notice. ...A later patch almost mad the game to peacefull, i have not tried the new version but you can see they are working hard to get it up to a finished civ game standart. (it´s not that civ 4 was perfect since day one, it took them over a year to get it don after release.)

I played about 45 houres, thats more than what most games give you and they keep working hard to making it perfect. - Still no reason not to also play Civ IV.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

How much of an improvement is Civ V over IV?

I didnt enjoy civ 4, and I love civ games. I think to be the management of money and happiness is flowing a lot better, the details of what you need to do is a lot better and the lack of a NEED to build villages everywhere is also nice. You just get more options, and the interface is friendly for sure.

civ 5 stands as the best.

I prefer Civ IV with both expansion packs added into the equation, but Civ V is definitely a lot of fun. The developers have already released several patches and updates as well, meaning that the game should theoretically continue to improve and develop.

I hate that it seems like my computer isn't able to play this. I've become a Civ IV fanatic over the last couple of months after having it sitting in my basement collecting dust for a few years (both because it confused the fuck out of me and for want of a computer that could load the goddamn Brennus leaderhead without crashing). No Stack O' Doom-ing sounds weird, but that's only because I'm just now getting into the franchise, I suspect.

EDIT: And yes, you can play Civ IV with both expansion packs, and that's really the way to do it. Having played vanilla Civ IV, Warlords, and Warlords/BtS, I can't imagine playing without my precious Great Generals and Mausoleum of Maussollos and Classical-era Spies and Abraham Lincoln.

Edited by Sousa

Civ V doesn't work on my laptop, so I, like Sousa have been playing Civ IV a lot recently.... I got it from the store a while ago but don't ask me what store because I think it's closed. :shifty:

I did not know you could play with both expansions loaded. I was just playing different games in each!

Really? Good gawd y'all.

I played a fantastic game last night as Julius Caesar, who is really the best source of awesome games. Got Praetorians online quick and smashed Sitting Bull in the Classical era, then crippled Alexander not long after that. I was getting a lot of shared religion bonuses from Catherine and Napoleon, so I tech'd peacefully and built wonders for a little while to get my highly-promoted Praets turned into Riflemen. Then Napoleon declared, so we had a little dust-up. Then Catherine declared despite having asked to be my vassal state a few turns earlier. So here I was in the middle of a Stack O' Doom sandwich. Held both fronts, beat the shit out of Catherine and vassalized her the hard way, and that's when Tanks came online and well you know how that usually goes.

I'm not good enough to play on the highest difficulties yet, but this was a fun romp, especially because I got to murder Sitting Bull quickly. I usually let him sit for a little while until he gets his Ridiculously Promoted Longbowmen ™ online and becomes a pain in the ass to get rid of, so it was nice going against him before he could even drop a Totem Pole in every city.

This doesn't feel like fun :/ I dove right in with default settings and I'm not digging it so far. Might try with some custom stuff tomorrow. Seems like an overly simplified game mechanic from IV, and the HUD seems to have a lot of the best short cuts removed.